Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I might be in denial but im having a hard time understanding how she could be at a level 9 due to the traces of lead paint in our house. Nothing is chipping!! And as someone mentioned the xray thing the inspector used likely found lead that wasnt even on the surface. She does chew on toys. I mentioned i have seen her holding cords and putting them in her mouth, not really chewing. She also has out the remote control in her mouth on occasion. She's not a finger or thumb sucker but yeah she does put her fingers in her mouth. I just feel like 9 is way above the national average. Our house is clean and well maintained. It was rennovated in 2014, the lead paint was encapsulated, then my DH even painted over most of that work. We got confirmation that yes there are traces of lead paint but we are not the only family who has moved into a house that once had lead paint particularly in new England where most houses are old.

I mentioned in another thread that she has a port wine stain birthmark that covers her eyelid and part of her forehead. The placement of the mark puts her at risk for glaucoma and brain abnormalities (seizures). Typically these would happen in the first year of life and ive been happy to see her reach all her milestones and she's had no issues. I have dug deep and it seems like people with this birthmark can go on to have migraines and learning disabilities. Now i feel like if anything goes wrong ill never know what it is. The birthmark or this lead level.

I also mentioned she had to have an mri at 3 weeks due to the birthmark with gandolinium contrast. It contains a heavy metal that was recently approved for use on infants and now im reading that there have been cases of this metal staying in the body. Of course im wondering if the lead test could be picking this up if it stayed in her system. Im just racking my brain trying to think of anything shes been exposed to in her life. For her laser treatments she had a special numbing cream put on her, shes also had special eye drops used on her for eye tests. Now im wondering if the laser used on her which basically burns the skin could have some type of lead base. I cant imagine any medical products would contain lead but who the hell knows. I had no idea that the contrast for her mri was a heavy metal.

I just cant accept that she got to a level 9 from lead paint traces in our home...yet my son was a 3 in the same house. Also thinking of the renovation the neighbors did last spring.
I think you need to talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,327,913 times
Well of course the dr is on vacation this week. I am being as proactive as i can. Getting my son tested on Friday. If his levels are high i see no choice but to move out of the house.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
You should buy the $24 lead test swabs that I posted from Amazon. There are 8 in there and they can easily test a whole house. I think I only used 2 to test mine. It may be that someone is giving her keys to play with and there is a lead key chain she is putting in her mouth. Or something you don't suspect like her pacifier or teething toy.
These are only marginally accurate in both directions. Sometimes they false positive, sometimes they miss. Test any suspect areas several times. If you get repeated positives, get a professional test done.
Also these kits cannot test paint that is covered by newer paint. If you can peel away the layers, you can test layer by layer. I had a layer of paint in one house test positive four times with the kit swab things. I sent it to a lab - No lead paint in any layer.

It really takes a lot of paint to cause lead poisoning. Personally I would put my money on something else.

Spend a few hours of research on the internet. But watch what you give weight to. They really do not know that much about it and there are tons and tons of urban legend things out there. Even Medical professionals believe and advise on urban legends that have no real basis.

Humans have been ingesting large quantities of lead for decades. It was only in the 1970s they fully realized the problem it causes in children's mental development - sometimes, not all the time.

Because they do not know much about it, they change the standards and methods for acceptable levels. Flint is a good example, no one knows whether there will be any impact or not. Even when the kids grow up, they probably will not know. Those kids are at a learning disadvantage for a myriad of reasons and unless they eliminate every other reason, they will not be able to tell with any certainty whether the lead had an impact or not unless there is an extremely severe impact.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well of course the dr is on vacation this week. I am being as proactive as i can. Getting my son tested on Friday. If his levels are high i see no choice but to move out of the house.
Has anyone provided nutrition info to You? Certain foods can help pull the lead out. I wouldn't move yet. See if it goes down in 3 months. If not, then consider your options.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 AM

The exterior of our house is vinyl siding. She has played in yard a handful of times but the guy who came yesterday found nothing in the soil. She has eaten crayons and play doh...happened accidentally...but i didnt think those things would have lead.

Anyone know if sterling silver contains lead?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The exterior of our house is vinyl siding. She has played in yard a handful of times but the guy who came yesterday found nothing in the soil. She has eaten crayons and play doh...happened accidentally...but i didnt think those things would have lead.

Anyone know if sterling silver contains lead?
Check it with one of those swabs.

Do you give her any powder medicines from Mexico?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM

No to medicines from mexico. Swabs are arriving today.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM

407 posts, read 370,654 times
True sterling silver is a mix of silver (I think around 97%) and copper (~3%). So it should not have lead in it. But better to test if you're not sure that it's true sterling.

Sorry you're dealing with this - I hope you get some answers soon!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,753,976 times
I don't think it's the house, I think you are right about the contrast they used in the MRI. I did a quick google search and there are concerns about using it on children. I wonder if the test is picking up that, and not lead. It's probably not a topic that your doctor would know much about. I'd be doing lots of research to see what you can find.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 AM

The only thing that makes me not think it's the MRI is that it was done when she was 3 weeks old...however I'm kind of like WTF at putting this contrast in a 3 week old...however this was done at Children's hospital boston which is a reputable place so i felt like they knew what they were doing. I also don't know if other types of heavy metals would show up on a lead test even if some of it were in her system. It could be completely unrelated...but again this # of 9 has me floored.

She did have two teethers, one my mom gave her and she said it was sterling silver. The other one was mine I believe and I was born in 1978...but i'm fairly certain my son used the same teether. I cant even find them right now. Not sure where they are but there's no way they were swallowed before any one mentions it they are big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting