Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM

50,410 posts, read 64,151,599 times

Advertisements

After reading the article, I feel like there is a lot of blame to go around.

The manager should confine all families with small children to one area of the restaurant.

Parents should not bring children to restaurants if they are going to cry or scream. This is just selfish and inconsiderate. If you can't stay home, get carryout or a babysitter.

The couple who wrote the note should have asked to be seated somewhere else. I wouldn't have written a note, but I don't blame them for being annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,330,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you, but there are ways to start training a child at this age, at even 6 months old.....

He realizes when he screams he gets the attention he wants from mom

A baby sometimes cries a lot, b/c mom picks him up....kids learn at a very very young age.
Oh please...training a kid not to scream at 6 months? Cruel.

I get both sides of the story. If the kid was really screaming they should've taken him out. The old couple also werent forced to stay and they could have had more patience. Texas roadhouse also isnt a fancy place. Leaving a note is ridiculous

Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 AM

28,971 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I find a Texas Roadhouse is always noisy.....it is that kind of atmosphere.

I think the ladies who were C.S. enough to hand her a note were mean. Obviously they finished their meal, during which they didn't ask to be moved, they didn't turn around and "go grandma" and coo and distract the baby, they did nothing to remedy their own angst. So for them to wait until they finished eating, then in a childish way hand a passive aggressive note to an already harried new Mom was B.S. and low class.

Sure, a screaming baby is irritating especially when you've gotten past that stage in your life....But you don't behave in such an unkind way like these women did.

Glad the manager threw them out.
Well no you don't we each react differently....I wouldn't have given them a note....
Maybe the woman had MS, and was extremely sensitive to loud noise or some other kind of neurological disease?

We all have to consider others before we allow something like this to happen.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM

28,971 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Oh please...training a kid not to scream at 6 months? Cruel.

I get both sides of the story. If the kid was really screaming they should've taken him out. The old couple also werent forced to stay and they could have had more patience. Texas roadhouse also isnt a fancy place. Leaving a note is ridiculous
Google it, yes, there are indeed exercises you can put into place....parenting is an extremely responsible task....and it takes repetition and hard work, devotion to the child is also all about raising them right, raising them with manners.....

Texas Roadhouse or not? That doesn't excuse the behavior...or the disturbance to so many other people plus as loud as Texas Roadhouse is, still doesn't compare to the bone chilling consistent scream of a child, over and over and over again.

I've been in a movie theater where the parents bought in a tiny baby, and when the baby started to cry, they left....but even for that moment in time, while the baby was screaming, it was terrible, but thankfully the parents left.

Some people are highly affected by different pitches of noise.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 PM

19,887 posts, read 9,437,343 times
Quote:
why? Because when a child screams over and over and over again, all throughout the time it is there, it makes it mighty uncomfortable for those who are sitting around that child.

I think we all have to consider how our behaviors effect others when out in public and work together on it, by trying to be considerate and aware that when in public, it isn't just about you and your children, but about everyone around you, and quite frankly, not everyone can put up with a child screaming. It's up to the parent to control that...to be aware of others....and not spoil their evenings.
I still disagree, although of course I respect your right to your opinion, and I do feel your pain because my husband and I find it very annoying when we go to a restaurant for a quiet meal -- NOT a noisy one like Texas Roadhouse, btw -- and there is a group (usually women) who will speak and laugh very loudly as though they are the only people in the restaurant, and to the point that my husband and I cannot even hear each other talk. If we have just been seated, we WILL ask to be moved to another table, but if the loud group came in after we ordered, we just grimace and bear it -- and we do NOT leave a nasty note and spoil the ladies' time.

I think that people should just learn to have more tolerance, period.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,811,087 times
Before I had a child, I would have said the mother or manager were completely at fault. After having one (who is now almost 8 months old), I can identify with the mother. Only thing I will say is that if the child was screaming a lot, she should have gotten up and taken him outside. I did that once with my daughter when she was fussy - sat in the car and waited until my husband and our friend finished eating. No need to ruin anyone else's evening.

However, if the child only screamed once or twice, the couple was highly overreacting. It's impossible for a child that young to know inside voice or whispering.

I will say one thing - this is the reason that I am scared to death to go out to eat with my daughter. Even if you're as courteous as possible, there's always going to be some jerk who gets angry.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
Quote:
No, I am not saying that.

I am stating though, that it happened to us, and by the way it was described in the article, this baby did the very same thing.
I didn't get that from the article at all. I felt that given that the manager sided with the mom, it was likely that the baby was in fact not excessively disruptive. Some people seem to think that babies and kids aren't allowed to make any noise at all and get offended even when they are making a comparable amount of noise as some adults.

I think you may be projecting a personal experience without enough information to know whether or not it was similar to your own experience.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
Quote:
google it, you'll find some really productive hints.

OK. I googled "HOW DO YOU TRAIN A 6 MONTH OLD NOT TO CRY OR SCREAM". I found ONE sight, where a parent said that her 14 MONTH old child was a screamer, and what could be done about, and the answer was "Ignore it."

All the other sights were about sleep training babies.

I've failed.

But maybe, since you said they were out there, you could find some advice and post it?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
Quote:
I read this article, what's your take on this, who was in the wrong?

Texas Roadhouse diners leave spiteful note after Katie Leach's baby yelled | Daily Mail Online
My grandson in 12 months old and when he starts being loud in a restaurant, my daughter takes him outside.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,650,690 times
This happened 2 years ago and was all over the media then. There were lots of heated discussions re. parent's rights vs. the other diners. IMO, when you go to a restaurant that is not child-centered like McDonald's or Chuck E Cheese, etc., you have a reasonable expectation to be able to eat without having to listen to the ear-piercing screams of an infant or toddler. Parents should be expected to remove the child if it won't quiet down. And if they don't, managers should politely request it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting