Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 PM

543 posts, read 944,101 times

Advertisements

I was reading on this debate on Casey Affleck and how he won't be presenting this year because of all the sexual harassment chaos and his own past deeds. Someone wrote: Sympathies go to Ben and Casey Affleck's parents, both of their sons have made a mess of their live.

The other person wrote: Multimillionaire many times over, Oscar winning famous artists. What mess? I'd rather be this then a faithful trapped in an unhappy life with petty middle class money concerns".

What would you rather your children be: rich, well off, well respected but with a bad personal life record or middle class good life with the usual worries of long hours, job uncertainty but a happy personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
I want my kids to be honest, moral and sympathetic human beings who can support themselves financially and are happy with their lives and the choices they've made.

And I don't think that being rich or well off (however one defines that) automatically means you are free of worry with regards to your job.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I care more about my kids being happy than about them being rich.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,524 times
Is this a trick question? (=: Of course I want my kids to be decent, caring, loving human beings. I believe they are well on their way. All 3 are young adults who show no signs of lacking compassion for others. Greed and power don’t seem to be on their playlists.

I do feel like things are too smooth at times, but am confident that they know how to weather the bumps and struggles they are bound to come across. Being wealthy doesn’t particularly seem to be as important as being successful to them. I am proud of what they’ve become, and what they are bound to be.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I want my kids to be honest, moral and sympathetic human beings who can support themselves financially and are happy with their lives and the choices they've made.
Add in healthy and you couldn’t ask for more.

OP, while the Kardashians are wealthy, and by their terms, successful, I wouldn’t want to be them. Nor the Afflecks.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Add in healthy and you couldn’t ask for more.
Absolutely. We're so very focused on traits and outcomes, it's easy to overlook health, which is possibly the most important of all. Maybe that's because good health is assumed....until it's not.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I was reading on this debate on Casey Affleck and how he won't be presenting this year because of all the sexual harassment chaos and his own past deeds. Someone wrote: Sympathies go to Ben and Casey Affleck's parents, both of their sons have made a mess of their live.

The other person wrote: Multimillionaire many times over, Oscar winning famous artists. What mess? I'd rather be this then a faithful trapped in an unhappy life with petty middle class money concerns".

What would you rather your children be: rich, well off, well respected but with a bad personal life record or middle class good life with the usual worries of long hours, job uncertainty but a happy personal life.
Americans are obsessed with "happy". Happy is a responsive emotion, and thus temporary. I want my kids to make choices they can live with and be content. I don't care how much money they make.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

And I don't think that being rich or well off (however one defines that) automatically means you are free of worry with regards to your job.
+1, and Repped.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Americans are obsessed with "happy". Happy is a responsive emotion, and thus temporary. I want my kids to make choices they can live with and be content. I don't care how much money they make.
One can never always be "happy", but one can be satisfied and content.

But while "happy" is responsive, so is "unhappy". One wants to maximize the former and minimize the latter.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
These two do real damage to other people. In Ben's case, even his own kids. He had an affair with their live-in nanny, for goodness sake.

As a parent, is that really a good trade off for money? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting