Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Too old. When your children graduate from high school and you'll have more freedom, you'll be about 68 years old. I know you can die at any age, but assuming you die from old age, you may not even make it to 68.
People don't die from "old age" before they're 68. That's hilarious. You must be a lot younger than 68, to think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 08:16 AM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
Quote:
Too old. When your children graduate from high school and you'll have more freedom, you'll be about 68 years old. I know you can die at any age, but assuming you die from old age, you may not even make it to 68.

Quite frankly, I think 27-28 is a great age to have your first. I personally had my first at 29.

My neighborhood friend, she just died at 50. Sudden heart attack and a recent grandmother. My fiance, also 50, survived a heart attack that she never knew she had, and had triple bypass last November

Old 05-26-2018, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People don't die from "old age" before they're 68. That's hilarious. You must be a lot younger than 68, to think that.
Beat me to it! Even the Bible talks about "threescore and 10".
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...10&version=KJV

Old 05-26-2018, 10:01 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:

Quite frankly, I think 27-28 is a great age to have your first. I personally had my first at 29.
Except that you are skipping over the point that some people choose to take their child free freedom days when they are young. So they had their 20s, 30s, and even their 40s without the responsibilities of parenthood, as opposed to living through those decades raising their kids and waiting for that freedom.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
My neighborhood friend, she just died at 50. Sudden heart attack and a recent grandmother. My fiance, also 50, survived a heart attack that she never knew she had, and had triple bypass last November
Sure, people can die at 50. They can die at any age. But they don't die of "old age" unless they're actually, you know, OLD.

My grandmother died at 97. She was healthy and reasonably active all her life, but when she reached her mid-90s, she just started slowing down. Then she began to get weak and lose her appetite. Then one day her heart stopped and she died. THAT is "dying of old age."

Old 05-29-2018, 11:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I have two kids, ages 21 and 20. At the 20 year old's high school graduation I was 43 and holding our 5 month old son (surprise!). It was my easiest pregnancy. I had no issues whatsoever; not even swollen ankles. My doc didn't even react to my age. The practice is full of pregnant ladies in their 40s. There was no special treatment.

I didn't think I would have the energy to do this over again, but I am amazed at how I keep up with him and my husband does amazing with him (he's 47). We fish, hike, garden, build furniture, cook, travel, explore farmer's and international markets, as well as all the playing, reading and nitty gritty of parenting. He's 2.5 and our busiest child by far. Our older kids make a huge effort to be part of his life. They attend the state flagship university near our home and even live at home. Our LO is very aware he has siblings even with the enormous age gap; they all adore each other. I don't think we look tired. or harried. The point is I couldn't have imagined doing this if you asked me a few years ago, but we were able to rise to the task...

Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 815 times
Default Mother at 55

I know that in Ukraine there was a case when a woman gave birth to her first child at 55 years old with the help of IVF.
Yes, it is very strange, because as her daughter grows up, the mother will grow old. Moreover, in 2 years this woman gave birth to another daughter. It is wonderful that this mother is very brave and courageous. But what will she do when she becomes hard to cope with children? Who will them care about then?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree with the second sentence, not the first. For one thing, SteveC thinks this is the most important concern of all-that the child's kids may always have to visit their grandparents instead of the grands coming to them.

Lots of families have "issues". There are families with disabled people of many ages who can't travel easily. There are families where the grands died young and can only be "visited" at the cemetery. There are "blended" families and families where the grands don't accept the grandkids because of their race or whatever. SteveC's future kids might actually enjoy going to FL to visit the grands. You make it fun, visit the grands, then go to the beach, Disney, etc. Just like we did when we went to PA to visit the grands (my parents) who weren't extremely elderly. We'd go to Pittsburgh, then to Niagara Falls, Gettysburg, DC, Rehoboth Beach Delaware, wherever. The other thing is that if you live away from family, you will almost always be the one to do the traveling.

""

Ms. Duckworth has a life expectancy of 33 more years of life, as of 2013. Probably a little longer now. She is very likely to see her daughter graduate from high school, college, maybe get married and have a kid of her own.
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

I just can't even. What a totally arrogant statement to make!
I'll chime in here. My mother was 40 when I was born and three of my four grandparents were dead. I wouldn't have had it any other way. My parents were in a good economic position because they had waited until they were established to have kids. It apparently was a decision my mother was very adamant about. They were both war veterans and they had been forced to live in very marginal housing when they were going to school. After my sister was born, they really struggled to make ends meet. So, they waited nine years after her birth to have me. Both of them were healthy as horses though. My mother died last year at the age of 98. Dad made it until 84.

Their ages gave them a certain wisdom that I felt the younger parents around me did not have. They knew how to discipline by simply using the right tone of their voice. They were very self-assured and self confident people. Plus, they really didn't care what others thought of them. They just did what they thought was right.

I was the envy of the neighborhood because my parents could afford all sorts of things. They did for me what I am doing for my own kids--pay for college.

Personally, I wish all parents waited until they were more established in life to have kids. However, that's not the way the world works and I don't get to say what other people do.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'll chime in here. My mother was 40 when I was born and three of my four grandparents were dead. I wouldn't have had it any other way. My parents were in a good economic position because they had waited until they were established to have kids. It apparently was a decision my mother was very adamant about. They were both war veterans and they had been forced to live in very marginal housing when they were going to school. After my sister was born, they really struggled to make ends meet. So, they waited nine years after her birth to have me. Both of them were healthy as horses though. My mother died last year at the age of 98. Dad made it until 84.

Their ages gave them a certain wisdom that I felt the younger parents around me did not have. They knew how to discipline by simply using the right tone of their voice. They were very self-assured and self confident people. Plus, they really didn't care what others thought of them. They just did what they thought was right.

I was the envy of the neighborhood because my parents could afford all sorts of things. They did for me what I am doing for my own kids--pay for college.

Personally, I wish all parents waited until they were more established in life to have kids. However, that's not the way the world works and I don't get to say what other people do.
That's interesting regarding the bolded. Were you born in 1959 & your sister in 1950?

I'm intrigued because some older people (not any in my family) have said that women have it much better now because they don't "have to" get married, become subservient to a man & have babies because "now" we have "choices" (implying that reproductive sex was the only choice a woman had). That the "idyllic 1950s" were not all that ideal for women.

It sounds like you had very intentional parents who did not leave much up to chance or whims. And it does not sound like your mom was the type to ask permission to do it her way. That's interesting.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiCRiley View Post
Yes, it is very strange, because as her daughter grows up, the mother will grow old.
This is true for everyone. As our kids get older, we age too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting