Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM

251 posts, read 1,532,390 times

Advertisements

My 1 year old son has a bad habit of banging his head on the crib rail(which is wood)for attention.He used to cry everytime we'd put him in there to sleep or to play but now when he wants our attention that smart ass bangs his head on the rail because he knows that will get our attention to get him out of there.I tried ignoring him for awhile but he keeps banging so i have to attend to him because he starts to get light bruises at times,spanked him, Pinched him a few times but now as i get closer to him he stops and gives me that cheezy smile and when i walk away he starts again,im just out of ideas!
I got so desperate that i covered the railings with blanket and tape!And yes he still does it.
So now i turn to ths forum.Helpppppp!!
Suggestions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Are you sure it is for attention and not a self soothing technique? If you believe it is a self soothing technique I would call the pediatrician and tell them everything.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Are you sure it is for attention and not a self soothing technique? If you believe it is a self soothing technique I would call the pediatrician and tell them everything.
Self soothing meaning?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,469 times
Some babies who are left to cry it out will start banging their head into the wall or the side of the crib as a coping mechanism. It happens in America but is especially prevalent in orphanages in other countries where often babies will wind up with failure to thrive. Your baby is a baby - he isn't manipulating you; he just wants his mother. If he is hurting himself that bad to get your attention maybe he actually needs it at this point emotionally? I mean spanking a one year old is something that even experts, who are proponents of spanking, oppose.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,876 times
You spanked and pinched your one-year-old?
I don't think a one-year-old is capable of being a smart ass.
He's smiling at you when you come in because he's happy to see you.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
When I say self soothing I mean thumb sucking, a special blanket, etc. Sometimes kids bang their head to self sooth but if that is the case, this may be an issue.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post

I am confused as well? I would think that would NOT be an answer to the problem....

Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,065 times
First, you shouln't spank or pinch your one year old. Sorry, but that is not appropriate. Also, if this is a problem, you need to think about putting him somewhere else to sleep (such as a play pen with padded rails where he can't hurt himself) and as mrstewart suggested, this may be self-soothing. You need to consult with his pediatrician.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times

Your post had made me cringe.

You don't seriously think that your 1 year old is manipulating you???? You don't seriously think that he is out to get you and make you lose it?
I agree with previous posters. He is either a)really does need your attention b)soothing himself (in similar fashion to thumb sucking).

How in the world could you spank and pinch your 1 year old? You don't seriously think that he will say to himself: "hum, my mom spanked me, so perhaps I shouldn't be doing this".

I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, but I think you need a dose of reality here and perhaps see that maybe, just maybe, your baby does need you.
Also, I do want to show some support and let you know that it's hard to have a small infant turning toddler and perhaps you are getting a lot of very wrong advice from so-called experts on spanking, cry it out and etc...
Please kindly read the following books:

The Vital Touch
Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff
The Baby Book by William Sears
The Nightime Parenting by William Sears

Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Ok my son is 1 year and 4 months,I think children in that age group are capable of understanding things.You make it sound like im really hurting my son which aint true at all im just trying to disipline the kid to where he knows what he does is wrong.For example before he used to always bang his head until i took him out of the crib but now if i make believe im going to pinch him he would stop.I believe my son is at a age where control plays a role.Im trying to teach him he can't get or do anything he wants because in the future it will be harder to discipline him because he already will be in a habit of it.Some might argue it is too early for discilpline and some may not.
But i just don't want my to go up to being one of those brats that when i say no he starts to cry and create a big fuss at a toys r us or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting