Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain co-sleeping to me? I have a friend who is CONSTANTLY complaining that she can't sleep at night because her 18-month-old keeps doing this, that, and the other thing to keep her awake or wake her up; I think the husband sleeps elsewhere. Whatever happened to putting a baby to bed for the night (with feedings) in its own crib in its own room at birth or certainly by this age? Seems crazy to me!

Also not great for the marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
In my house, my baby is sleeping in our room, but that's because she's going to wake up to eat regardless and it's just quicker if she's right there next to my bed.

Here's the question for you: would your friend get more sleep if the kid were in another room? Or would your friend still have to deal with all of her child's wakings, and just have to walk farther to get to the child each time, not to mention spend money on a baby monitor?

Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Different temperaments. Some babies do better sleeping with their parents. My daughter had a lot of trouble separating from me as an infant. She wanted to be held constantly. We found out when she was a month old that she had a significant medical issue. She was in pain. We didn't know it at birth, but she let us know that she needed extra care and comfort and I provided it. She slept with me until she was 2 years old. Then she was on a mattress on the floor until she was 3. Then she was in her own room. Sometimes, it was challenging. I never planned to co-sleep. It just happened that way.

My daughter was very independent as a child and still is as a young adult.

It never affected my marriage. My husband was very supportive of doing what was best for our daughter.

Why does co-sleeping bother you? Many cultures around the world co-sleep.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
I have a lot of friends that did the co-sleeping thing. It worked great for some and not so great for others. It's a personal choice and it really depends on your child.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:20 PM

60 posts, read 66,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can someone explain co-sleeping to me? I have a friend who is CONSTANTLY complaining that she can't sleep at night because her 18-month-old keeps doing this, that, and the other thing to keep her awake or wake her up; I think the husband sleeps elsewhere. Whatever happened to putting a baby to bed for the night (with feedings) in its own crib in its own room at birth or certainly by this age? Seems crazy to me!

It worked for me when my son was little. I never had to get out of bed to nurse him at night, so I was never exhausted during the day. Cosleeping is also good for the mother-baby attachment, so many parents who value attachment parenting cosleep.

My son is now 14, is very independent and doing great. Do you have any children?

Old 01-28-2019, 04:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Where I grew up, it was/is the norm. Not always bed-sharing, but at very least having the little one sleep in the room for the first couple of years. The idea of having a baby alone down the hall is very foreign to me.

Babies wake up quite a bit in the night, and by rooming-in, I would wake up as soon as they started stirring; I was able to tend to them before they were even fully awake, which made it that much easier to get them back asleep. Due to space issues (city apartment-dwellers), my kids didn’t move into their own rooms until age 3.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Keeping a newborn nearby (I had bassinet in master bedroom until 3mos) is one thing; an 18mo old (and often older) in the same bed? Cmon now.

Parents who aren't into boundaries love to do this; they also are usually of the "he's not misbehaving, he's expressing himself" type reaction when child draws on walls w/magic marker etc.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Keeping a newborn nearby is one thing; an 18mo old (and often older) in the same bed? Cmon now.

Parents who aren't into boundaries love to do this; they also are usually of the "he's not misbehaving, he's expressing himself" type reaction when child draws on walls w/magic marker etc.
Good lord...not at all. Its natural for babies to sleep with their parents. If it doesn't work for the family, cool. If they choose not to, fine. But it is as natural as breast feeding, giving birth, protecting your child, wiping their noses, taking care of their elimination. There is NOTHING weird or lacking boundaries with co-sleeping. It is way more natural then a crib. But if people choose a crib because that is what works for them, that is fine too.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My sister co-sleeps because her son (3.5 years) is still breastfeeding and she likes the convenience of being able to feed him without getting up. They also have three cats and a dog that all sleep in their bed, so I guess she and her husband have learned to sleep through minor disturbances.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Everyone does what's good for them and their family. I personally put my children in the next closest room when they were babies (now 12 & 10). I was able to hear them cry even without a monitor. When they cried I got up, fed them, rocked them till they fell asleep and put them back into their crib. They both slept at least 6 hours at a time when they were babies so I was lucky. I never had a problem with them sleeping. And walking a few feet to their rooms didn't bother me.

I have friends who did the co-sleeping thing and now complain how they're 5 and 6 year old's won't sleep in their own beds now, well...…….

I don't know, for me I felt it was better and safer for them to be in their own beds. I also heard about people rolling over on their child and I didn't want to have to worry about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting