Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Honestly, I would find more time for them. Could you work at home or leave work an hour earlier. Obviously they are looking for your attention.

Years ago, I was at a park with my kids. A woman came to pick up her six or seven year old daughter. The girl kept playing by herself, ignoring her mother. Her mother said her daughter was so busy playing, she must be happy.

OMG, I wanted to shout at the mother. Her daughter wasn't happy. She was withdrawn and unconnected to her mother.

Be happy your kids are looking for your attention.
Hmm not sure I agree on your judgement of this situation. Kids are different. Maybe the kid was truly more interested in playing at the park than greeting her mom. I’m just not sure how you could assume a child’s happiness based on this one interaction.

I work full time and will be starting a new job soon. Pretty sure I won’t be able to just leave an hour early in the beginning. Not sure what the wfh situation will be. Currently my husband is home with them full time when they aren’t in school. I will have more time at home over the next 3 weeks until I start new job tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I was told tired dogs, are happy dogs, and I would think the same would apply to children.

I would start with having them do something physical to get some of the energy level down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
What exactly are they doing when they "act wild"?
I was wondering the same thing. A 3-year-old, bickering and fighting with an older brother? And being expected to play independently with her 5-yr-old brother? Are you sure you were only 3 when you played with your siblings in the yard, OP?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 AM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Hmm not sure I agree on your judgement of this situation. Kids are different. Maybe the kid was truly more interested in playing at the park than greeting her mom. I’m just not sure how you could assume a child’s happiness based on this one interaction.

I work full time and will be starting a new job soon. Pretty sure I won’t be able to just leave an hour early in the beginning. Not sure what the wfh situation will be. Currently my husband is home with them full time when they aren’t in school. I will have more time at home over the next 3 weeks until I start new job tho.
No, this child looked depressed and alone, running sand through her hands.

@ Ruth4Truth, you are a genius!

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. A 3-year-old, bickering and fighting with an older brother? And being expected to play independently with her 5-yr-old brother? Are you sure you were only 3 when you played with your siblings in the yard, OP?
At the same time you posted, I was writing:

With your additional information: A five year old boy and a three year old girl are at different stages. Your three year old probably can't keep up with your five year old. Big differences and it is no fun to play alone in a yard.

@ Mikala43

Quote:
I was told tired dogs, are happy dogs, and I would think the same would apply to children.

I would start with having them do something physical to get some of the energy level down.

True. After school, your husband can tire them out before dinner. A public playground would have children of both ages. They could find someone to play with at the own stage of development. Playdates with classmates. We had playdate schedule - Mondays with Katie, Wednesdays with Aisling, etc.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
This is what my mom used to do with us, when she was cooking dinner.

She'd get out the paper, colored pencils and crayons, and she'd tell us to draw ___________ and then after we drew our pictures, she'd look at them and ask us to describe them to her. Seemed like it kept us busy for a little while.

We also used to play Button Button Who Lost the Button. Basically, my mom would hide a button somewhere in the living room, and we'd look all over the living room for it.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
Yes my son loves to color and do play dough or clay or play with slime. Keeps him busy. He also does hockey 3 days a week and we’ve signed him up for ukelele lessons. My daughter is also taking gymnastics and dance twice a week.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
To be frank, you and your husband have not set boundaries.

I have 5.5 and 3.5. While they're girls, have alot of friends with boys. Similar age. Sure boys are more wild, but girls tend to have more tantrums and or hold grudges. My wife, especially earlier on, let them walk all over her. Responding to every little need, and overly emphasizing.

My approach is the way I remember my dad interacting with us. More firm, more authority, strict/disciplinary when needed, yet embracing and warm, and very interactive. The ones I see overly wild, it's because they don't respect the parent's authority, and therefore just act out as they please.

But I get it that it's sometimes a bit scary to try to be firm with the kids, but to 'reset' it, you and your spouse have to be on the same page and reset those boundaries and interaction. Do something out of character that will reset their view of you.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

He also does hockey 3 days a week and we’ve signed him up for ukelele lessons.
Honestly, that’s a lot for a 5-year-old.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:04 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
We got our kids a trampoline (with the net) for Christmas when our son was in 1st and daughter in K. I think that was the best gift we ever got them. They've played on it after school for the last 6 years and they also play on it on the weekends. When they are restless and need to get the energy out, that's where they go. We've never had any injuries and they come up with new games to play all the time. My daughter practices her gymnastics on it as well when she's on there alone.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We got our kids a trampoline (with the net) for Christmas when our son was in 1st and daughter in K. I think that was the best gift we ever got them. They've played on it after school for the last 6 years and they also play on it on the weekends. When they are restless and need to get the energy out, that's where they go. We've never had any injuries and they come up with new games to play all the time. My daughter practices her gymnastics on it as well when she's on there alone.
My sons used to kick a playground ball back and forth on the trampoline for hours. They "invented" knee ball and all kinds of games.

Not sure it would work with a 3-year-old but when she's a bit older, yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting