Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Number 1 had a pretty laser focus on what she wanted to be since about two. She's pretty much on track having started her career in that field.

Number 2 changed with the seasons, but seems to have found what he wants in the Army and is letting them send him to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
its funny....
when I grew up..

it was always work work work …..(father was a fisherman.....and "whatcha gonna do" when you graduate" going in the service I think was their wish..

anyways with my son ...I let him be a kid...make many of his own choices..

but I did teach him at an early age...the more he does the more he gets paid.....
so he did more and more and ...mowed neighbors lawns and was very proud of his bank account.. he did it on his own..

he likes very nice things..... and he asked my opinion more than once..and I gave him advice no one gave me....what do you like doing???? and if you go to college for 4 yrs …….you can be a teacher and have summers off and every vacation ….and you can be a nurse making over 30 an hr..

he said what if I wanted a house on the lake >>??? I said well.....go to college for 6 yrs and be a pharmacist...make well over 100k and you got it made for life...
and that's what he did.....went to college for 6 yrs ….then got a hospital pharmacy job..and loves it.....in fact he loves the job...knowing hes helping/healing people...not just for money..

he's a good boy ...I never really had to discipline him much..

so now as an adult ...we have a great adult relationship.... and go golfing together...and stuff.....fishing and hunting...

Old 10-05-2019, 09:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
My kid said wanted to be "an artist" when she was little. Which baffled us, because she had no interest in creating anything. lol

Then she started saying she wanted to be a teacher, when she was about 8. In high school she coached elementary school sports and young kids at her martial arts club. She planned and ran her own taekwondo classes by the time she was 16. At 18 she started university with a goal of getting her BEd. In the middle of second year decided that she didn't actually want to be a teacher. She had been working part time doing retail sales, and realized she liked that sort of thing. Now that she's done school she's moved onto professional sales.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Yes. Oldest DD started working at the family (her grandparents') business at 13, became very interested in it, and now successfully owns and runs it. Youngest DD was always drawing as a kid, and is now a freelance artist who sells paintings, prints, and designs t-shirts.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think my daughter did. Since age sixteen she wanted to run a restaurant. She's presently a private chef, caterer and is helping to plan a new restaurant opening where she will cook.

My son wanted to be a ninja, an apple-picker operator, Michael Jackson, a break dancer, Tony Hawk, a Lamborghini racer, Phil Collins, an Army guy and a Duke of Hazard. But most of all he wanted to avoid college. He achieved that.
That's my son.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
My husband knew he wanted to be an engineer when he was a small boy. Our son was the same way. Though I have to admit I was a little concerned this wasn't going to be a good path for him when he was 14/15 years old as he just didn't try very hard in school. I don't know what happened exactly, but one night he gave me a hug and apologized for being difficult and not taking school very seriously. Today he is in college on scholarship to be an engineer. He has had a paid internship every summer. He already has a written and accepted offer for next summer. He is going to be a wonderful engineer. And he tutors high school students and college students in various math, language and sciences, has a lawn care business that operates year round and one of his professors was so impressed my son now works for him too.

Our daughter has been a gifted artist since she was very small. She was drawing recognizable and detailed animals at 3 years old. It turns out she is also very academically smart, excelling in all subjects. She decided early on there was no way she was going to art school. That was going to be a hobby. She started in biomedical engineering and was doing fine, but two years in she decided she really wanted to combine art and science together. So she is studying scientific illustration now with plans to become a medical illustrator. She is living her best life.

We have another too young to say, but I can tell you he is an engineer just like his dad and brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting