Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 08:38 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
OP, I was a late(ish) learner. While I took 5 days of group driver's training for two hours after school at age 16, I never drove again until I was 20. No one in my family wanted to spend the time giving me any additional practice, so thank you for your willingness to teach your son. We tend to take family instruction as a given, but it's not. Not all families are very giving.

When I was 20, I was in the military and they wanted me to have a driver's license so they had an instructor and he took us out as a group to practice. So, I've had experience with two driving teachers.

Neither of them ever said follow what I'm saying to the letter. It was assumed that you were there to be taught, and so you would follow the instructions. Is there an issue with your son that he doesn't pay attention? Is he ADHD as well as epileptic? Overtime, does epilepsy degrade a person's reasoning, or spatial skills?

As you've described your teaching technique it does feel like it's being done as a high stakes enterprise which can raise the tension level. I understand that when he gets out on the road it will be high stakes, but maybe a little bit of relaxed fun is appropriate at the very beginning, especially when you're in a large, empty parking lot. Let him make his mistakes. Maybe even encourage him to get his mistakes out of his system. That can be a useful teaching technique.
That's good advice.

One of the other things that I tell new drivers when they're behind the wheel of my car is that they are in (temporary) control of my second most prized possession. If I trust them to drive it while I'm riding shotgun, they should try to trust themselves as they gain reasonable confidence when they're in the driver's seat.

That being said, if I see my trainee pulling a suss move, I nip that in the bud right away. No need to inadvertently add another craptastic driver to those already rolling around the Pittsburgh metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 08:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
MY Current car is a 2021 Honda Pilot. I learned to drive with a 1968 Chrysler Newport 4 Dr Sedan. My Dad used to make me drive on the narrowest roads. The back seat was wider than the Couch I had in my apartment. It only took $25 to fill it up.
My Dad had a 68 Newport land boat as well but I learnt to drive in a 63 Plymouth. My father was an inpatient driver and an impatient teacher as well but Inlearnt but at 16. Also learnt in a town so small that most of my driving test was driving around looking for cars to parallel park between. Ended up the tester picked out wo cars that were on different blocks.

I agree with the others thar you are unintentionally setting your son up for failure. While he is learning and toy are in the car he should concentrate on learning to drive and nit on worrying about payibg fir damage. Remove all the stress from him as you can and park your own stress elsewhere.

Good luck

Old 07-01-2022, 08:59 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
I have to say I agree. My style of teaching doesn't work well for adults. In spite of it he has made quite a few improvements. I asked my wife a sort of lesson plan I could use that would be more palatable to her, but she has yet to supply me with one.
Hire a pro. You're filling the son with garbage that will lengthen his learning curve. As the poster said above, what's with the insurance diatribe threats? Really, what the Hell? Get out of the car and replace yourself with a real instructor.

Now, if he wants to learn motorcycling, stay out of it!

Old 07-01-2022, 09:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Hire a pro. You're filling the son with garbage that will lengthen his learning curve. As the poster said above, what's with the insurance diatribe threats? Really, what the Hell? Get out of the car and replace yourself with a real instructor.

Now, if he wants to learn motorcycling, stay out of it!
I once again agree that a professional driving school would be the best move to help him. BTW I'm learning to ride a motorcycle. Its relatively easy since I used to have to pilot scooters at my old job. Just getting used to the clutch and throttle. I paid to go to a professional Motorcycle School. I was trying to save my son a little cash, but I guess its best he go and pay for lessons.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
That's good advice.

One of the other things that I tell new drivers when they're behind the wheel of my car is that they are in (temporary) control of my second most prized possession. If I trust them to drive it while I'm riding shotgun, they should try to trust themselves as they gain reasonable confidence when they're in the driver's seat.

That being said, if I see my trainee pulling a suss move, I nip that in the bud right away. No need to inadvertently add another craptastic driver to those already rolling around the Pittsburgh metro.
One of the best parts of that car was the fact that it was easy to work on. My Dad and I replaced the Master Cylinder rather easily.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
One of the best parts of that car was the fact that it was easy to work on. My Dad and I replaced the Master Cylinder rather easily.
*couldn't rep you again. On the bright side, at least you're not teaching your adult son to drive a stick, eh? Small blessings, that.

Driving school might be the way to go with this one. Once he gains some skills and confidence with driving, perhaps you'll feel more comfortable riding in the car with him as he practices with you as well as (hopefully) his mother and his younger sister if she lives nearby. The more people who he drives with and the more different cars he drives and most importantly, the more he drives at all, the better.

My partner's daughter is on the cusp of getting her license; she's had the opportunity to drive with me, her father, and a few friends (and friends parents). She's all the better for it, I think. Regardless of age, I think that it's a good idea to drive with willing victims...err....licensed, experienced drivers as often as reasonably possible.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,516 times
Quote:
Most 32 year olds know how to drive. I was discussing the difficulties in teaching my adult son to drive being made more difficult by my wife (who asked me to teach him) who disagrees with my teaching technique. It has been proven successful as my Daughter has been driving for 8 years now. As with the previous advice given I have to remember people have different learning curves, so I will remember that moving forward.
You’re treating him like a child and you’re justifying it by saying “… most 32 year olds…”

How does rolling around a parking lot at low speed with windows down while a cranky man yells at him teach something? Get in the dang car with him, help him relax, get him used to pressing the pedals, if it’s stick shift get him used to that, then take him down some roads, keep him relaxed, and focus on awareness of what is around him.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:41 AM

9,861 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I don't understand the whole walkie talkie thing. You're missing the ability to actually see when he's braking, etc.

It really is a wonderful thing that he is able to finally get a license. Freedom. Even if it's simply freedom to go to the store or an appointment on his own. This should be so positive, not a negative thing.

Teaching a child of any age can be terrifying, lol. Yes, I taught all my children but they also had private driving instructors. I remember when my daughter was picked up to learn her freeway driving in southern CA on a rainy day during rush hour. That instructor could handle it better than me. Well worth the few dollars I paid the driving school.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:41 PM

4,864 posts, read 2,674,972 times
how you gonna teach anyone how to drive and not even be in the car with them?...dumbest thing I've ever heard of..

Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
how you gonna teach anyone how to drive and not even be in the car with them?...dumbest thing I've ever heard of..

However my technique did work with my daughter. I understand that you don't agree, and you think its the dumbest thing you've ever heard of. My methods are unorthodox, and obviously not for you. I never advise anyone to do what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting