Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I had a friend who's son did this as well, he was especially fond of trucks and would yell out every time he saw one "TRUCK" except he said F for T .

My favorite is DS15 called elephants "elf-fan-ents" .

They would say "exposed to" instead of "supposed to"--you are exposed to eat your vegetables...
My baby brother had lots of cars & "frucks" when he was little. He also pronounced the G sound as a B. So glass & grass were blass & brass. Now my older brother just turned 50 & he still "descrews" with a screwdriver. And he pronounces couch as counch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
My friend's little boy called balloons "ganooms".

A little girl I cared for always pleaded at bedtime- "pweeze, pweeze, pweeze, me no wanna go fweep".

My brother, as a toddler, called his pillow his "plur".

He called orange juice "Oh-jeye".

At my Girl Scout candle lighting ceremony, my toddler brother saw the candles solemnly being lit and broke the silence by shouting out a warning for all to hear, "Hot, burnie up" (Translation: "It's hot and will burn you up".) He got a good laugh for that!

A little boy at a school where I worked had a teacher named Miss Piercy. He had a bit of a speech impediment and often would yell out to her, "Miss Pissy!
Miss Pissy!"

When my niece was just starting to talk, she was at a restaurant with her family. She had a dish of vanilla ice cream that had red hots ( tiny cinnamon candy hearts) on top. She had never had the candy before. As she tasted the ice cream (and the heat from the red hots) she crinkled up her face, started to cry and yelled "Ka-ka, mommy, ka-ka!" loudly enough to get a laugh from most everybody in the restaurant.

Finally, I used to care for a little boy in his home. He would often take me to the kitchen cupboard and point to the top shelf. In an awed and mysterious voice, while pointing, he would wide-eyed and breathlessly say "Shing-geye-eesh". He would stand there for a long time and was insistent that I know what that was. On several occasions, I took everything out of the top cupboard and he continued to point at the empty shelf and repeat the same thing. As he gained more words, he would repeat the same ritual but it evolved to "Slung-gosh". His family had no clue what it was. By the time his family moved away about a year later, I still hadn't discovered what he was talking about but he had me convinced it was very important!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Finally, I used to care for a little boy in his home. He would often take me to the kitchen cupboard and point to the top shelf. In an awed and mysterious voice, while pointing, he would wide-eyed and breathlessly say "Shing-geye-eesh". He would stand there for a long time and was insistent that I know what that was. On several occasions, I took everything out of the top cupboard and he continued to point at the empty shelf and repeat the same thing. As he gained more words, he would repeat the same ritual but it evolved to "Slung-gosh". His family had no clue what it was. By the time his family moved away about a year later, I still hadn't discovered what he was talking about but he had me convinced it was very important!
Haha, my DH had something similar. When he was a kid there was something he called the "be-bowsh". His parents never did figure out what it was, but they like to tell the story about it.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
My daughter loved lemurs when we went to the zoo. There is one called a Sifakan Lemur, but she called them "fockin" lemurs. My mother was horrified

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 PM

930 posts, read 717,917 times
When my oldest was little her first word was powdy (powder) and she would go around saying "aw dat's Purdy(pretty)"
When my 4 year old daughter isn't feeling well, she says she has a stummyache.
I knew a little girl whos father worked at UPS and when she was a toddler and you asked her where her daddy worked, she'd reply "at U P U Ass" She got teased for that one for years.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It isn't really a pronounciation thing, but when my son was about 4 he was talking about his "snorkels"...???... It took me a moment to figure out that he was referring to his nostrils.
That is funny!

Both of my kids refer to the hose attachment on the vacuum as the "snorker" because it "snorks" up things....

Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
When my 2.5 yo daughter says flag, sounds like the F word.

Balloon is "ba-hoon"

more water is 'Mo watah!" with an upswing in tone, very cute.

11 is "eneven."

Another is "anamon"

macaroni is "macavee"

Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 459,230 times
here are a few:

when my son was little, all trees were "broccoli". when i would drive he'd ask me to look at "all of the broccoli"

when I was a teen my 4 year old cousin came to visit and while I was hanging out in my room she found her way over to my make-up and asked if she could borrow some "lik-stip dahhhling"

and a good friend of mine when her son was about 4, if we went out eat and we would try and give him carrots or broccoli...he would tell us that he didn't like tay-toes" apparently that means vegetables .

Old 06-15-2008, 03:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
In my old neighborhood, there was a pet store decorated on one outside wall with large, colorful fish.

Whenever we drove past, my daughter (then age 2 to 3) would light up and exclaim, "Feces!!"

Almost sad when she finally mastered the sound of "sh".

Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Whenever we drove past, my daughter (then age 2 to 3) would light up and exclaim, "Feces!!"
Reminds me of a story about moi. My mom came home from the hospital after delivering my baby sister. I was two and had stayed over with an older neighbor, Mrs. Bays. When my mom asked me how things went, I told her with a pouty expression, "Bays got mad at me because I drew a 'pish' on her wall."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting