Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out WHY they would make bikinis for toddlers (or anyone, for that matter)? What is the purposes? A sexy-looking toddler? Ludicrous!

A baby in nothing more than a diaper? Meh...not a big deal, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I'm still trying to figure out WHY they would make bikinis for toddlers (or anyone, for that matter)? What is the purposes? A sexy-looking toddler? Ludicrous!

A baby in nothing more than a diaper? Meh...not a big deal, IMO.
Well...

I don't really have a problem with a toddler bikini in and of itself. I think it's cool in the hot sun, lets a kid splash around and get wet, and don't think it's really intended to sexualize anyone.

Especially a "two piece" as opposed to a "sexy bikini". I just think it's best to throw on a t-shirt or cover up or sundress in a store. I grew up on the texas coast, we lived at the beach practically every weekend. Everyone runs around in the stores (near the beach) in swimsuits and flip flops with t-shirts or light coverups over them.

So I'd have no issue if the mom stopped off on the way home from the pool or beach and threw a long t-shirt on the little one. I just think it's inappropriate otherwise the same way pajamas would be.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:26 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
My daughter has a two peice suit but it's not like a "three-triangle" bikini. It just has a top and a bottom showing about 2 inches of belly in between.

If my kids and I were on our way back from swimming and they wanted to stop at the DQ for a treat I wouldn't see the big deal in running in real quick to grab something.

But I wouldn't just take them for a casual day out with only swimming suits on. That's silly.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Well...

I don't really have a problem with a toddler bikini in and of itself. I think it's cool in the hot sun, lets a kid splash around and get wet, and don't think it's really intended to sexualize anyone.

Especially a "two piece" as opposed to a "sexy bikini". I just think it's best to throw on a t-shirt or cover up or sundress in a store. I grew up on the texas coast, we lived at the beach practically every weekend. Everyone runs around in the stores (near the beach) in swimsuits and flip flops with t-shirts or light coverups over them.

So I'd have no issue if the mom stopped off on the way home from the pool or beach and threw a long t-shirt on the little one. I just think it's inappropriate otherwise the same way pajamas would be.
Speaking of inappropriate dress...this is how my file clerk came dressed to work one time...pajama bottoms, t-shirt and flip-flops. WTF?! I sent her home to change!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post

Makes me think uniforms in school aren't such a bad idea...
There is a Catholic High School near where I used to live. The girls were rolling up their uniform skirts waaayyy above their knees and wearing thongs. The girls going up and down the stairs were giving the boys a nice show. The school outlawed skirts. The girls now wear skorts or pants. I was always appalled at how short some of those girls skirts were, and oftentimes they would be with parents after school in the supermarket, and mom or dad didn't seem the least bit fazed at their attire. And this was a Catholic High School!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
The UK has uniforms and many girls hike the skirt up as far as they can.

If they have it in them, no rule is going to stop them.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
Last week, while I was at Starbucks Coffee, I saw a mother and her toddler, probably 2 or 3 years old, waiting for their drinks at the counter. The toddler was wearing a bikini, and I was sort of shocked. Starbucks Coffee may not be an upscale place, but it is still a public place. When my parents took me out in public, they made sure I was dressed appropriately. This is in addition to making sure I behaved myself in public. Upon reading various parenting threads, I see that you all make sure your kids behave properly in public and remove them from the scene anytime they misbehave. Do you also make sure your kids are dressed appropriately whenever you take them out in public? If you don't care how your kids are dressed in public, think about others around you who would be annoyed upon seeing your kids dressed inappropriately.
I do agree that clothing is a huge issue with kids today. Target has the absolute worst line of clothing for kids, specifically girls. We had to stop buying from there because it was too revealing for even a toddler. We've had to bite the bullet and spend more at other stores to keep our daughter looking like a young girl.

I would like to ask the OP one question. I noticed that you live in Hawaii. I've not been there before but do know it's a huge travel destination. Could it be that these people were on vacation and popped in for a mocha? I agree with the one poster about a dress over the swimsuit. Maybe they had vacation on the mind? Just a thought.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
someone please explain to me why any mother would let her daughter(I'd say barely teen) be seen in public wearing shorts that have JUICY across the butt??
Why? Do these clothes just mysteriously show up in these girls closets?

And why do young elementary aged and even younger wear high heeled shoes/sandals.
Who is buying this stuff for children? If they would stop then maybe they would quit making the stuff.

I wish I could afford to make t-shirts for these parents that say Hey Look, I'm with my Hoochie Mama Daughter, but they probably woudln't get it......

URGH i am glad that me and hubby aren't the only ones sickened by this subject matter

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
Although I COMPLETELY agree about the need for appropriate clothing on children (or anyone, for that matter... lol), my first thought was the same as drjones... perhaps they had just left the beach/pool? Not that it really matters, because Starbuck's DOES have a drive-thru, just a thought.

~D
Do they? I live in the Los Angeles area and I've never seen a Starbucks with a drive thru!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I don't know what the driving fear behind a toddler in a bathing suit is. I understand the older girls (either developing 8 year-olds and up) wearing inappropriate attire... but the word inappropriate is subjective. Even those conservative parents in here who think the child should cover up more probably would vary slightly on the level of appropriateness.

If the concern for the child (now we're talking toddler) is that the child may catch cold... that's one issue. If it's just because you have a problem with a child in a bathing suit... get over it. If it's because of your concern that pedophiles will take particular interest in the child because she/he is in nothing but a bathing suit... got news for you... they could be wearing foul weather parkas and clothing and the pedophile is still going to notice. If the parent is on the way to/from the beach or a pool... nothing wrong with being in a bathing suit. I don't agree children should just be carted around in diapers or a bathing suit while shopping at a store... not inappropriate for attire.. I just don't believe it's appropriate in a grocery store.

And before you ask... this is from a father who would rather his daughters (15 and 11) wear 2 pairs of long overalls to the beach/pool instead of their bathing suits!!!
Yeah, it doesn't bother me either. I'm sure I would have thought it was just adorable. Sometimes kids get attached to different outfits and they don't want to go anywhere unless they can wear it. There were time when my son wouldn't leave the house until we had safety pinned a towel to his shoulders (his cape in the "superhero" days). Then there was the cowboy time where he had to wear boots and a cowboy hat. He had to. Maybe this toddler was attached to her little bathing suit like some girls are with their ballerina tutu's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting