Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times

Advertisements

925 is on the money here. If someone asks how much money is required she's not asking how much money she can possibly blow. She's asking how much money is the minimum amount she needs to come up with. That is her reality.

I'm still waiting on her finacial solution to the issue of 'What if she is unable to return to work after she has her baby if her husband's income alone will not sufficiently support her family?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
925 is on the money here. If someone asks how much money is required she's not asking how much money she can possibly blow. She's asking how much money is the minimum amount she needs to come up with. That is her reality.

I'm still waiting on her finacial solution to the issue of 'What if she is unable to return to work after she has her baby if her husband's income alone will not sufficiently support her family?'
Yet, we have no clue how the OP spends nor budgets money. For all we know, maybe she wants to spend $800 on a stroller but buy baby toys off of Craigs list & make her own baby food at home.

Very little specifics were given on lifestyle other than the dh's income would make things tight.

Again, that could mean she still wants the $800 stroller.

Let people express what they want to one way or the other. It's the purpose of this board. Some posters just come on here to tell everyone else how better they are at everything from conceiving a child to putting them through college b/c they worked 28 jobs & lived off macaroni for 11 years.

Clap. Clap.

There are material basics every baby needs. Food, clothing, shelter.

It's your $$. How ever you wish to spend it is your right. No need to attack someone on their decisions. If you feel the need to vent frustration, go hit a pillow on your bed which should be there & not cost any money!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM

788 posts, read 4,069,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I hear you saying you have doubts about your husbands income alone supporting your family.

Question: What if...for whatever reason...you were unable to return to work after you had your baby?
That's an important question. He'll be making some employment changes soon which will hopefully increase our income, but who knows? I guess all you can do is plan for what you can, and hope for the best. We're also paying down our debt, all of which will be eliminated by the time we start trying (except student loans and mortgage). We might be able to do cover all expenses all his salary alone once we reach those goals.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Diapers: $20 for 80.

Then add in tax, so expect to pay about $75-$80/wk for diapers & formula.

FOr the basics, I'd budget $500/mn for the first few months to cover for everything.
Again, if you use cotton diapers, after the purchase price, all it costs is the soap and water to wash them. THAT'S A HUGE SAVINGS.

$500/mo. is a LOT for basics.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
That's an important question. He'll be making some employment changes soon which will hopefully increase our income, but who knows? I guess all you can do is plan for what you can, and hope for the best. We're also paying down our debt, all of which will be eliminated by the time we start trying (except student loans and mortgage). We might be able to do cover all expenses all his salary alone once we reach those goals.
Paying off your debts first will definitely help you in that respect. We paid off everything but our mortgage and student loan a year ago and it has made a big difference in our monthly budget. Two car loans alone was a big difference and almost covers our whole daycare payment! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Here is the 2008 Bugaboo Cameleon which is what we have. Sure its hot trend in strollers, but this thing is light, rides like a Mercedes, comes in many different colors and fabrics, and you can push it with basically only one finger.

Plus, with the bassinett baby can sleep in this for first few months. Before I bought one, I did a ton of research on it. You see so many of these in the malls and shopping areas of LA. I asked a few moms about them and some let me (a stranger) push their babies around a bit just to get the feel of it.

2008 Bugaboo® Cameleon Stroller Complete with Dark Brown Base Pink Canvas Top - single strollers - The Right Start - Babies to Kids (http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product.aspx?item=8593&mr:trackingCode=194EDFA9-7E8E-DD11-B8BB-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA - broken link)
I got admit--that stroller looks really cool!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
In the present economic environment paying down debt before taking on a new financial burden is probably the best idea I can think of...

...other than paying down the debt and not taking on a new financial burden.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Again, if you use cotton diapers, after the purchase price, all it costs is the soap and water to wash them. THAT'S A HUGE SAVINGS.

$500/mo. is a LOT for basics.
Yes, it is, but I also said it leaves room for all the other things that do pop up such as doctor appts & that this amount is only in the infant stage

Formula alone in the infant stage could come in at $50/wk. Right now it's $23/can. If my 9 month old goes through a can every 4-5 days, I can only assume a newborn is going to go through at least 2 cans a week. That's $50a wk in formula. $200 a month.

A parent also has to initially buy the cloth diapers (which do need some adjustment as they get older hence buying new covers to fit them) & it's not cheap. I used cloth for #1. Yes, it was "cheaper" but not "cheap".

Nothing is "cheap" anymore

It's not free to have a baby. It does cost money. How you budget your money makes all the difference.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I think it depends on the person. I never had trouble getting pregnant. staying pregnant is another story. This last time I got pg the first month we tried. But i also have had 2 miscarriages in the last year. Everybody is different.
I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriages. Hang in there--my friend had several before the doctors discovered she had some kind of blood problem. Once they made that discovery, she took an aspirin every day while trying and once she got pregnant again, her husband had to give her an injection in the stomach until the baby came, but the baby did come, and she is very healthy.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Great posts!

Thank you all for your posts. Getting a variety of perspectives, experiences, and world views has helped me a great deal. Many of you inspired me to think about all sorts of things that hadn't crossed my mind (yet) like making my own baby food, and what's my back up plan in case I can't go back to work (wouldn't it be great if I didn't have to?) after the 12 weeks off, etc. If you have any additional ideas/thoughts, feel free to share. And again, my heartfelt thanks. I learned so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting