Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Formula alone in the infant stage could come in at $50/wk. Right now it's $23/can. If my 9 month old goes through a can every 4-5 days, I can only assume a newborn is going to go through at least 2 cans a week. That's $50a wk in formula. $200 a month.
And just to reiterate, if you breastfeed you eliminate all this cost. If you buy a good double electric breastpump for when you go back to work, it may seem expensive at first, but just think of it as just one month's worth of formula and you'll quickly see the savings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Thank you all for your posts. Getting a variety of perspectives, experiences, and world views has helped me a great deal. Many of you inspired me to think about all sorts of things that hadn't crossed my mind (yet) like making my own baby food, and what's my back up plan in case I can't go back to work (wouldn't it be great if I didn't have to?) after the 12 weeks off, etc. If you have any additional ideas/thoughts, feel free to share. And again, my heartfelt thanks. I learned so much.
If you are going to have the baby in a hospital, what is the % you will have to pay?

This is a separate cost than checkups with the OB/GYN, which will fall under a specialty doctor in health insurance terms.

Your OB will charge you for delivery but the hospital will charge you for use of the room, equipment, any meals, xrays, etc.

Even though this "technically" isn't what you will be needing for the baby the first several months, the hospital bill willl arrive within 1-3 months of having the baby & it's one lump sum that is due. You can contact the billing dept at the hospital to see if they offer payment plans.

I'm throwing out a number, but I'd also save $3,000 for OB/GYN charges + delivery charges + hospital charges.

This relates only if you go the convential route & again a very estimated number. I had #1 in a military hospital & total costs after 9 months were $28.50 & that's only b/c I didn't NOT request meals

There are many on here who have gone the home birth route & probably have lots of good econ info on those cost.

And yes, making baby food is the way to go. Very easy, healthier & will save you some money.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
And just to reiterate, if you breastfeed you eliminate all this cost. If you buy a good double electric breastpump for when you go back to work, it may seem expensive at first, but just think of it as just one month's worth of formula and you'll quickly see the savings!
Hospitals sell very good ones at decent prices. Depending on your economic status, they also will sell them at a discount.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times
Quote:
Hospitals sell very good ones at decent prices. Depending on your economic status, they also will sell them at a discount.
Yes, that's true - and if you are on WIC you might be able to rent one from them for free/cheap too.

You probably won't need to buy/rent a hospital grade pump unless you have a preemie or some other type of issue, but that is also an option.

Most folks who go back to work and pump tend to either buy the Medela Pump In Style or the Ameda Purely Yours, both of which are around $200-300 (depending on which accessories you get), with the Ameda somewhat cheaper than the Medela. I would not recommend a manual pump for going back to work, but they work well enough if you end up staying home and are way cheaper.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,854 times
So here's our most reasonable list:

Breastfeed = $000.00

Make own babyfood = $30.00+- (processor. Anybody have better figure on this?)

Cotton diapers = $40 - $50 initial (guessing), plus Dreft or Ivory (Dreft recommended, Ivory leaves film)

Sleepers, clothes and undershirts = showers but maybe $100

Recieving and crib blankets = $50 (but a lot from showers)

Umbrella stroller = $20

Car seat = $100 +-

Incidentals (shampoo, lotion, diaper pins, etc.) = $200+-

Total cost of a baby first 3 months of life = PRICELESS

Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 PM

71 posts, read 274,564 times
Quote:

We looked into the price of purchasing the pump our hospital had for rent. To rent it, $60/month. To purchase ---$1,200. Ouch.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,713,303 times
Check out consignment shops for pumps. All you will need is the new accessories package.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I didn't work and that was a little less than years salary back then.
But I would venture to say that the amount is what it COST you to stay home, not how much your BABY cost you. There is a difference.

I didn't work for 18 months after I had my first child but we certainly didn't use 40K out of our savings. (Well, we didn't have 40K in savings, LOL)

Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
Quote:
If you are going to have the baby in a hospital, what is the % you will have to pay?

This is a separate cost than checkups with the OB/GYN, which will fall under a specialty doctor in health insurance terms.

Your OB will charge you for delivery but the hospital will charge you for use of the room, equipment, any meals, xrays, etc.

Even though this "technically" isn't what you will be needing for the baby the first several months, the hospital bill willl arrive within 1-3 months of having the baby & it's one lump sum that is due. You can contact the billing dept at the hospital to see if they offer payment plans.

I'm throwing out a number, but I'd also save $3,000 for OB/GYN charges + delivery charges + hospital charges.

This relates only if you go the convential route & again a very estimated number. I had #1 in a military hospital & total costs after 9 months were $28.50 & that's only b/c I didn't NOT request meals

There are many on here who have gone the home birth route & probably have lots of good econ info on those cost.

And yes, making baby food is the way to go. Very easy, healthier & will save you some money.
Check w/your insurance company before you concern yourself with this.

I paid $200 to have my daughter. It would have been $215, but the first appointment copay was waived because it happened to be with a nurse. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

The point is, it can cost you a lot or a little or somewhere in between. It really is best to contact your insurance to find out EXACTLY how much they are going to pay. This way you are not shocked if you get a huge bill. I do think my cousin paid around $5,000 for one of her kids.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 AM

27 posts, read 109,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Cotton diapers = $40 - $50 initial (guessing), plus Dreft or Ivory (Dreft recommended, Ivory leaves film)
I'd recommend a free and clear detergent like ALL Free and Clear. They make a baby one, but they just add baby perfume (kinda defeats the point). Plus it's cheaper than Dreft and you can wash everyone's clothes together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting