Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times

Advertisements

mommytotwo - I have a lot of respect for your opinions, and your delivery. I tried to rep you, but can't yet. Your position certainly sees both sides which is what we want to see in this thread!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
The information should absolutely be shared. But not only with new parents and other parents. People whose children experience what they believe is a reaction need to alert those who keep track of rates of reactions, so that their child's reaction will be documented. If data is being kept on the number of reactions, how can it be accurate if, for example 2girls2boys kids doctor insisted it wasn't a reaction? If it truly was a reaction, then the parent needs to take it to a higher level, find out where this information is recorded. Report their child's reaction. Inform someone that the Dr. said it wasn't a reaction, etc... Telling other parents about it is just going to prompt more people to forgo the vaccination, not push anyone into researching or improving or reformulating the vaccination.
Even if you go to the VAERS website (a government website for reporting reactions), which is estimated to have access to about 1/10th of the vaccine reactions (because the vast majority are not reported), they say that the reactions "may or may not be" caused by the vaccines. So all of the girls who suddenly came down with symptoms mimicing Lou Gehrig's Disease or other autoimmune problems after getting Gardisil... their symptoms "may or may not be" caused by the vaccine.

If a parents asks a doctor, "do you think I should vaccinate?" and the doctor says yes, most of the time, the parent will say "okay" and do it. If the child has a reaction, which the doctor insists is NOT a reaction, how many parents are going to take that at face value? My guess is that most parents will say "okay" and not report it. Maybe a form should be given to each parent when they take their babies in for vaccines, to fill out afterwards. Then they can check off "no reaction noted" or write in whether there was a suspected reaction, then mail it in themselves.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
What about people like me who have friends or aquaintances who are doctors and nurses that refuse vaccines for their own children? Are they not making the decisions that they think are best for THEIR children. Your statement was a little passive aggressive, don'tcha think?
Not really, I don't know any of these people who claim their doctor friends tell them not to vaccinate.

And I find it interesting that you are now saying you have FRIENDS who are doctors. Because your previous post just stated you hate doctors because they tried to vax your son while he was at the ER (as well as you had already given him a vax which caused the inital reaction in your opinion). You said they have agendas and don't care about children's health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Well since you are talking about me and my story, I'll respond. I DID take my son to the ER (despite the nasty germs) and I was told that there was NO way that the vaccine was causing a reaction. A DIFFERENT doctor assured me that his leg (which was also sore and hot to touch) was "normal" and did NOT indicate a reaction. THEN they hassled me because we were SELECTIVELY vaxing and they wanted to give him 2 more shots that night (with his swollen leg) in the hospital! You can NOT tell me that doctors really care about anything except their bottom line or these doctors would not be so adament to shoot my child with MORE vaccines while he was still struggling with another!!!
So does this animosity go for ALL doctors(including your supposed friends??) ? Or only ones who say things you don't want to hear?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Even if you go to the VAERS website (a government website for reporting reactions), which is estimated to have access to about 1/10th of the vaccine reactions (because the vast majority are not reported), they say that the reactions "may or may not be" caused by the vaccines. So all of the girls who suddenly came down with symptoms mimicing Lou Gehrig's Disease or other autoimmune problems after getting Gardisil... their symptoms "may or may not be" caused by the vaccine.

If a parents asks a doctor, "do you think I should vaccinate?" and the doctor says yes, most of the time, the parent will say "okay" and do it. If the child has a reaction, which the doctor insists is NOT a reaction, how many parents are going to take that at face value? My guess is that most parents will say "okay" and not report it.
If a parents asks a doctor, "do you think I should vaccinate?" and the doctor says yes, most of the time, the parent will say "okay" and do it.

You are right. This is because they see the doctor as a reliable source of guidance on the topic. He or she spent years in medical school learning how best to treat patients.

Not years learning how to defend acceptable medical practices that are known to have benefits that far outweigh the risks.

If my DH is treating someone with cancer, and they come in to see him, and he recommends certain drug therapies, and they go home and research all their options and decide that those particular drugs are just waaaaay too risky, well then I am not sure what he is going to say to that person. I am totally speaking for him at the moment, but I imagine that he will confirm that there are risks with every medication and that the benefit outweighs the risk. But at some point, the patient has to put their trust in the doctor as the trained professional.

As for people taking the doctor's word that something is not a reaction, I'd have a real problem with a case like 2girls2boys situation. First of all, someone would be answering some questions, and second of all, if that person was my child's pediatrician, and he/she didn't answer my questions to my satisfaction, he/she would no longer be my medical professional of choice.

Doctors are not God. They can make mistakes and sometimes can't really give you an answer regarding what is wrong. But I stand by the notion that a well trained professional is my best chance at staying healthy and safe, therefore I am going to put my trust in that physician, and yes, for most of what he tells me, I am going to say "okay".

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Maybe a form should be given to each parent when they take their babies in for vaccines, to fill out afterwards. Then they can check off "no reaction noted" or write in whether there was a suspected reaction, then mail it in themselves.
This sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
I second the above. We chose to have our daughter vaccinated with Gardasil. There is a long history now of cancer in my family, including myself, that I will not risk a different one for my daughter. I've had misgivings after reading a post in Health and Wellness related to a reaction after the second of three shots. I read it just as my daughter was going for her third shot. I consulted the pediatrician again, and then my own OB-Gyn, as well as a former colleague at another job (a Senior Medical Director and active member of ACOG) and all of them are in agreement that the risk of reactions (where the corelation is not clearly established) compared to not getting it (exacerbated by medical history of cancer) is slim. She got her third shot and has been reaction-free since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.