Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you react toward your gay or lesbian child?
Outburst of rage, then disown and reject the child. 4 3.54%
Lecture/berate the child about God and ethics and then remain indifferent to his or her needs/opinions/concerns. 2 1.77%
Remain neutral yet you refuse to support any GLBT activities or events. 12 10.62%
Be supportive, empathetic, concerned, and helpful. 95 84.07%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Elston, you are correct, I should not have included EVERY gay person in my post. I should have said some. I apologize.

Heck the best roommate I ever had was a gay guy. We had a blast and are still good friends to this day.

He would get upset at this too. Two of his friends came out and expected their deeply Catholic parents just to accept this right there on the spot.
No their acceptance and or non acceptance didn't change the fact that they were gay but I felt that was unfair to blindside these nice people like that.

That's what caused the rift in the family, not their sexual orientation.
Thanks for the clarification Kali's Grandmother. I appreciate it.

I should just leave it at that.....but I cant help thinking it wasnt this young man who blindsided his parents....he had no doubt repressed and tried to deny his identity while growing up in a home and a church that couldn't accept him for who he was.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM

378 posts, read 772,443 times
I'm so grateful to have my children! If my child came to me with his/her sexual orientation, I think I would be sad for a bit and ONLY because I had hopes for grandkids and an "average" family life.

I think parents are not given the benefit of the doubt. While the child has all the time to grow and accept the person he/she is meant to be, we, the parents, are not given that time to absorbe and accept the reality. I think if everyone was compassionate, it would make it so much easier. JMHO.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
How could a parent disown his/her kid. There's a lot most parents go through, but in the end, your kid is your kid.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
I'm so grateful to have my children! If my child came to me with his/her sexual orientation, I think I would be sad for a bit and ONLY because I had hopes for grandkids and an "average" family life.

I think parents are not given the benefit of the doubt. While the child has all the time to grow and accept the person he/she is meant to be, we, the parents, are not given that time to absorbe and accept the reality. I think if everyone was compassionate, it would make it so much easier. JMHO.
Well said.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
There is a very high suicide rate among gay youth......the child doesnt have all the time to grow and accept the person he/she is meant to be.....they may not make it out of childhood.

I agree that compassion is essential all around....and hopefully both the child and the parents have developed a relationship of respect and understanding so that the news of sexual identity isnt earth shattering for anyone.....and the child is able to talk about his/her confusion...doubts....feelings over the time they are maturing. There are organizations in HS now adays called Gay and Straight Allliance....where kids can develop peer relationships with others....gay and straight that are accepting and provide a safe place to ask questions....we should encourage such support groups in our schools.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
Real talk....

No I wouldn't disown my child. Nor would I be the poster child for supportive parents of gay children either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How would you feel and react if your child said he or she was gay or a lesbian?

In regards to the poll: Disown means that you either force your child to live with relatives or you remove the child from the house once he or she is 18. At that time you have no concern or love for the child, will give him or her the silent treatment, and are filled with anger and disgust towards homosexuality.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Why does it seem there is always this question being posed??

The only reason I *might* be worried is that I don't want my children to have to face prejudices, I wouldn't want for this to bring them adversity.

Quote:
There are organizations in HS now adays called Gay and Straight Allliance....where kids can develop peer relationships with others....gay and straight that are accepting and provide a safe place to ask questions....we should encourage such support groups in our schools.
I recently read an article (online) about how repulsive it is that this "agenda" is encouraged in schools, and promoted an alternate...they keep their children out of school on the day of silence, and stage something else the following day. I couldn't believe it...but then, why not? Lets promote hatred against our peers.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,416,267 times
Quote:

In regards to the poll: Disown means that you either force your child to live with relatives or you remove the child from the house once he or she is 18. At that time you have no concern or love for the child, will give him or her the silent treatment, and are filled with anger and disgust towards homosexuality.
Hey there Artsy-fartsy! I think I've already been very expressive about my beliefs on homosexuality. Whether my daughter's a heterosexual or homosexual matters not to me.. flip a coin.. better yet give me your kids if you find you can't accept them or love them :-) Open invitation to all.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:

Ridiculous! How could being gay or lesbian possibly in any way change my feelings for my child? I'd sooner gouge out my own eyeballs with a rusty spoon than "punish" my child for being born gay or lesbian.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
I don't have children and will probably never have them, but I would love and support them just as much as I love and support my aunt, my uncle and my husband's uncle who are all gay.

As long as they are happy who am I to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting