Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't have a problem with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
As long as he was upstanding, hardworking, and treated her well I wouldn't care what color he was. I would definitely have concerns with some other cultures as has been mentioned. I would say the same for my son BTW.
ETA: we have friends, neighbors and coworkers who are either in interracial marriages or products of one so I don't think it would phase anyone at this point (except perhaps my 95 y.o. grandmother)....I don't think many of the current generation gives it a second thought. At least not that I'm aware of.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I don't think it would be so much of a problem. Their father, and even my SO for that matter, would probably feel differently on the matter.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I would not have a problem with interracial dating/marriage. I would be more concerned about differences in religious beliefs and in some cases, culture.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Nope. My daughter is bi-racial, why would I care if she brought home someone who is black? I gave birth to her. It would make me just a little bit hypocritical.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casshern View Post
I have been doing research and it appears most parents would not be satisfied. Even though I know most of you say "I am not racist and I would not care at all" and "if they want to do it, it is OK" but seriously? However we are human and we really do not know how we will respond if that situation actually happens to them throughout there lifetime.

All honesty right now, if you had a daughter who is 16, and your 16 year old daughter brings a black man, who is the same complexion as Wesley Snipes, how would you really react as a parent? Instead of giving the politically correct answer, just think about how you would react at that moment.

In some cultures, they would literally disown their daughters them from the spot if a situation like that happens.
I have an actual 15 year old son and I am white. I would not have a problem if he dated a black girl, no matter what her complexion. What exacty would the problem be?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM

546 posts, read 1,679,142 times
2 of my best friends, so close I consider them my family and vice versa, married one another. One is black, the other is white. I remember vividly when they started dating in high school how my male friends grandparents were so upset with him dating a black girl they refused to speak to him until he broke up with her. That obviously did not happen, but it took years before the grandparents finally acknowledged her and came to respect her for who she is and look beyond their own prejudices. As teenagers, we had a very hard time comprehending this attitude, and to be honest, I still do.

I can honestly say with no doubt in my mind, if any of my children had an interracial relationship, I would have no issues at all. It's not even something that would pop in my mind to be considered an issue.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
The character of the person my children would have brought home would be more important than the color of that persons skin. Both my children are married, but I faced this question when I learned that there were interracial couples at the school my children attended. I am like Loves Mountains. Religion would be a much more important consideration. I would prefer that my grandchildren be brought up in a Christian home. It would really trouble me if they did not attend church.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Black, no, as true love sees no skin color. My problem would be if they were Muslim or atheist - just because when your religion clashes you are in for real trouble in a relationship. And I would not want to see a child of mine in that kind of struggle.
Exactly. I went out with a guy from Egypt a few weeks ago, and he is a very nice man, very smart, and absolutely fascinating. However, we talked enough for me to know that the cultural gap was far too wide for me to even WANT to jump, at this age. No thanks!!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
WOW......I'm impressed. Such open minded people........REPS for all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting