Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
This is my final post in this thread.
I always wondered what the point of posting such a statement is. Is it that you just want to have the last word? People will continue responding to your post.

Regarding the rest of your post. I am now concerned with your emphasis on Susan(I hope that is not her real name). You started the thread complaining about the hitting kid now it is all about the girl. It just not normal. JMO

Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I always wondered what the point of posting such a statement is. Is it that you just want to have the last word? People will continue responding to your post....
I think in theory its implying they won't be looking or responding to the thread anymore themselves.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,507 times
Quote:
I always wondered what the point of posting such a statement is. Is it that you just want to have the last word? People will continue responding to your post.

Regarding the rest of your post. I am now concerned with your emphasis on Susan(I hope that is not her real name). You started the thread complaining about the hitting kid now it is all about the girl. It just not normal. JMO
I noticed that, too. Just from his first post alone. Something more is going on with this.....

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I think in theory its implying they won't be looking or responding to the thread anymore themselves.
Right. But what is the goal?. To stop the thread?
There are plenty of people who just do it without announcing it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Right. But what is the goal?. To stop the thread?
There are plenty of people who just do it without announcing it.
Yeah I dunno either. Not like any of us really care lol

Maybe its just a courtesy in case someone addresses them directly that that person knows that the OP isn't seeing it. I dunno.

I'm one of those non-announcers too

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,887 times
WOW. some of you guys are VICIOUS. for no reason.

to imply that "something" must be going on b/c he's worried about the kids (last time it was the baby, this time it's the girl)? just wow.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
WOW. some of you guys are VICIOUS. for no reason.

to imply that "something" must be going on b/c he's worried about the kids (last time it was the baby, this time it's the girl)? just wow.
Yeah, we are very vicious soccer moms/dads here to share opinions!

It certainly wasn't my intent to be vicious but something seems out of whack here. And not because he is worried or wants to help the kids. These aren't his kids and we are only hearing his side of the story. This is a public forum and that is my opinion. Last time it was the baby???

Too many posters jump all over posters for differing opinions on a public forum - what's up with that?

As for the OP stating he's done with the thread, I don't have any problem with that. I thought his last post was very nice thanking all who responded. He may just be tired of the subject and moving on.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,731 times
When a child hits a sibling should be no different than when someone else's child hits my child.

I tell my kids, when this happens "You do NOT treat my child that way".

I totally disagree w/ letting them "fight it out" or whatever the parent likes to call it when they do nothing. I DO address both of them, as to what their involvement was (ex: "no, he should not have hit you, but I want to talk to YOU about how you were teasing him...").

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
When a child hits a sibling should be no different than when someone else's child hits my child.

I tell my kids, when this happens "You do NOT treat my child that way".

I totally disagree w/ letting them "fight it out" or whatever the parent likes to call it when they do nothing. I DO address both of them, as to what their involvement was (ex: "no, he should not have hit you, but I want to talk to YOU about how you were teasing him...").
And thats fine. Don't expect much more than an apology and an effort to get going on their parts.

Public distrubance is also illegal and most people don't wanna take the time to bandy words with some stranger over a misunderstanding.

If my kid hit yours, I'm very sorry, is your kid okay? and I will deal with my kid immediately. Have a good day. And that would be it from me.

What else is there to do? What good does a discussion about it do? I said sorry and I'll talk to my kid about it. Thats all I can do barring some medical emergency.

As far as talking to my kids all your gonna get is a terrified stare followed by their hightailing it to mom and dad. Most kids don't like some strange adult in their face Granted if I see my kid running in terror from some stranger I might get on a defensive myself, but thats another story.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
Default my parents also favor the son

I'm 21 and my brother is 17. And its been the same our entire lives, my parents would punish me where they wouldn't my brother. If we got in a fight I would be the only one that got in trouble (and it was usually him doing something to me completely unprovoked). He would always get a great deal more for christmas and birthdays etc... I was home for my 21st birthday because its right after christmas and at midnight my dad called me to come home because it was time to get to bed. My brother (a minor) was also out that night, and he didn't get home unitll 2 in the morning and nothing was said to him. He didn't even get a phone call. The most recent example; I've been promised since I was 16 I was going to be given a car, but there were always reasons and excuses as to why it never came to fruition. But to be honest, for the most part I didn't mind and tried to be understanding. I would get by with sharing with my parents and getting rides from friends (the only regret I have is the promise of one always being in the near future did discourage me from saving for a car myself). It didn't bother me that is until my dad bought my brother a car, the same week he turned 16. So he had his car and I was still without. And being he is a reckless driver, every time something happened to his car (which was often) he would get priority over my moms car (the one I used) leaving me without, because my dad doesn't trust me to drive his car. The first day my brother had his license he ran his car into a coworkers parked car and proceeded to drive off. I've never gotten so much as a speeding ticket. So now we are up to date. My brother took his car off the road and the repairs were through the roof so it was decided that he would get a new one, not that he should have to deal with sharing with my mom because it was his own fault he went off the road. Two weeks after his car went into retirement he has his new '06 mazda 6. A newer and nicer car than even my mother has ( a '98 mazda MPV), and I am still without. Sharing the MPV with my mom is good enough for me, and has been since I started driving, but not for my brother. My dads reasoning? Well one reason given was, "its different for a boy, he's dating now." When I said that I date he said it didn't matter, the boy is the one that is supposed to drive, not the girl.

I wouldn't care if I never got a car from my parents, I have fended without until now, but I believe there should be a level of consistency with parenting. And to have bought my brother 2 cars before myself just doesn't seem right. But it literally is the story of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting