Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times

Advertisements

if you found out your teen was having sex-would you tell the other teens parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
if you found out your teen was having sex-would you tell the other teens parents?
Is the teen 13, 19 or some other age? I think this plays a big part in how a parent reacts to sex. An older teen is old enough to make their own decision about sexual activity. A younger teen is not. I don't know where the dividing line is but age makes a big difference. Not all teens are to young for sexual activity.

In addition, I would take into account the relationship I have with the other teen's parents.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
Quote:
Yes, what age are we talking about. Adult-aged teens or just out of Hannah Montana-aged teens?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
16 and 17

Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
It depends on the age of the teens in question. If they're very young, I'd say maybe. If they're perhaps 16 or older, then no.

Personally, I knew when both of my kids became sexually active, because I have a very good relationship with them. Both of them came to me beforehand for help before getting involved. I took care of getting them set with the appropriate birth control, and made sure they knew how to use them correctly. Then we had a last little talk about the fact that it's a pretty big decision to make and that they should be really sure it's what they want before doing it, and that was it.

My son was 16, and my daughter was 17, and I never even had a thought of ratting them out to the other parents. They're both now happy and well-adjusted adults, no unwanted pregnancies or STDs from their experiences. Kids CAN use their heads about things if you just supply them with the proper teaching and tools to do so.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
16 and 17
Nope, I wouldn't tell. Just make sure they know how to appropriately use birth control.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
No, I wouldn't humiliate my child by telling other parents about something so personal. I would talk with my teen about it. I'd make sure to express my feelings and expectations. I would make sure that they knew about STD's and the reality of pregnancy. I'b be sure that they knew how to properly use a condom and stress the importance of using them every single time they had sex. I'd take them in for STD testing and for their first OBGYN exam.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
It depends on the age of the teens in question. If they're very young, I'd say maybe. If they're perhaps 16 or older, then no.

Personally, I knew when both of my kids became sexually active, because I have a very good relationship with them. Both of them came to me beforehand for help before getting involved. I took care of getting them set with the appropriate birth control, and made sure they knew how to use them correctly. Then we had a last little talk about the fact that it's a pretty big decision to make and that they should be really sure it's what they want before doing it, and that was it.

My son was 16, and my daughter was 17, and I never even had a thought of ratting them out to the other parents. They're both now happy and well-adjusted adults, no unwanted pregnancies or STDs from their experiences. Kids CAN use their heads about things if you just supply them with the proper teaching and tools to do so.

Was it hard to except the fact of what was going on? I have too know! I can just imagine myself in that position and not knowing how to react.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
Not really, esp the 17 yr old, thats less than 12 months from legal age. I wouldn't make a federal issue, but I would talk to em and just for your own peace of mind make sure they are aware of the dangers and safety concerns they can take. Then your covered.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
No I would not tell a parent that a 16/17 year old was sexually active. I would consider it for a younger teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting