Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,818,781 times

Advertisements

I have three kids, two girls and a boy. When I picked their names, I pictured them first in school and thought of all the possible rhymes or nicknames their peers could get from their name. Then I pictured them at an interview trying to get a job. How would they feel with the name they have and would they be taken seriously? The middle names I gave them just had to flow nicely with the first. After all, how many people use their entire middle name in daily life?

Ultimately, you don't have to live with the names you give them, they do. It's one of the first things you do for your child so make it a good one.

Let us know what you decide! And congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,298,446 times
Here are my personal opinions on these names, so please don't be offended if I say something you dislike.

Phoenix - I live in Phoenix-metro.. so personally I don't like it as a name, but it isn't bad if you live elsewhere.
Theo - It reminds me of Bill Cosby's kid in his sitcom named Theo... or a cat, so no.
Allistair - It sounds funny.. french kind of, lol
Jordan - I like this name for a girl, not a boy.

Chelsea - This isn't bad.
Kate - Cute
Katie - I think this name is so cute, this is my vote.
Chanel - Isn't Chanel a purse brand or perfume or something?
Pilar - No.. isn't that a french boy's name?
Fallon - I have a cousin named Fallon and I really like this name.
Phoenix - No, but if you do name your child this I like it better for a boys name.

Hope that helps.. sorry, kind of picky when it comes to names..

Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,274 times
I like the name Taylor it can be used for both a boy or a girl as either a first or middle name.

Here are a couple of names I like:

BOY:
Gavin
Jackson
Kendrick
Marshall
Quinton/Quentin
Taylor

GIRL:
Alanna
Erin
Gillian (G can be pronounced like J)
Tyler
Regan/Reagan
Taylor

Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,907,456 times
You can also check popularity at ssa.gov/OACT/babynames, which will give you the top 1000 (!) names given to babies last year. You may think a name is not too popular at all, but then check the list and see that it is in the top 5 or something. If you are looking for names that aren't too common, but still easily recognized/pronounced/spelled, try looking at names on that list that are not in the top 150-200.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM

61 posts, read 167,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
I was always told to take a unique first name and pair it with a more formal middle name (or vice versa). That way if the child really hates their first name, or goes into a business situation where a more "formal" name like Joseph would be an asset, they can always use it instead. So, if you named your son Phoenix Joseph, he could be P. Joseph Smith, MD.

My kids all have boring, "white" names (Hannah Ruth, Calvin Riley, Isabella Rose, Zachary Ryan) but we did contemplate naming our youngest Cosmo James. That way C.J. was a cute kids name, Cosmo was one that he could enjoy in high school as the "weird kid", and James could take him into adulthood. (He is probably already thankful we ended up with Zach!)

This is the best advice! I am glad I asked for opinions.I must be living under a rock as I had no clue Jordan is now a girls name.

My only concern with PHOENIX as a boy name is that it seems to be unisex & I'm afraid by the time baby boy turns 3, it would have become a girl name, much like Ashley, Morgan etc.

While I like this name, I do not know much about it so I'm open to some "education".

And I think I will drop Pilar because I think the reactions I'm getting about names here are close to wht baby gets in real life. Its maybe Pillah?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Jordan is still a boy's name. People are merely using it as a girl's name too.

That doesn't mean you can't use it as a boy's name.

Since it's one of the more normal names on your list, dont' be so quick to toss it aside.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times
My son goes to preschool with a boy named Jordan. I think it's unisex, and Jordan Phoenix sounds nice.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Jordan Phoenix sounds nice.
I like that. I'm surprised how well they sound and look together. Phoenix Jordan doesn't work as well.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM

I need to comment that a last name can really destroy a good first and middle name combination.

My girlfriend named her son a tendy boy name and it sounded super strange with the polish last name.

I just thought I should mention the importance of considering the last name when picking names.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,912,333 times
I like Theo. Jordan makes me think of Jordan Knight (NKOTB) but that might just be me. I like Chelsea and Kate (though if it were me, I would do Katherine and then call her Kate, because I like to give my kids names that they can change around as they get older - eg. Joseph (Joe, Joey), Thomas (Tom, Tommy).

If I were meeting someone named Pilar, I would picture a beautiful woman with olive skin and long dark hair. That is the impression that name gives me. I think it is very pretty - but I would research it first since some people have mentioned it being a boy name.

Hey I found a link about Pilar Pilar - meaning of Pilar name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting