Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
The answer to both of your latter questions is yes. A playground is for smaller kids, and the equipment is geared for smaller kids. Once the kids become older (some playgrounds will have signs saying the equipment is for children 5-12 or in that general range), they need to find something else to do rather than hang at a playground. Especially if they are sitting on equipment that they are too big for, and preventing smaller children from using it. Especially if they are disruptive and vandalizing and misusing the equipment. This issue has nothing to do with unfair perceptions of teenagers. It has to do with teen-agers who are acting disruptive. I don't think the original post comes off as viewing teens as monsters.
True. Hopefully asking them to move off of the equipment would be enough. Even if there is a guideline that the equipment is for ages 5-12, that doesn't make sitting on it illegal. If they are doing drugs, drinking, or vandalizing, that's different. I would call the police or other park authority in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
i just would rather not get into it with them, you know? i could see myself telling them to leave and getting into an argument with a bunch of kids
All people were suggesting was ASKING them nicely if your kids could please play for awhile on the playground equipment and while you understand they are "big" kids and having fun, could they please keep the language in check while there are small kids around. :Thanks SO much, I'd really appreciate it!" (smiling sweetly)
Big difference from "getting into it", "telling" them what to do and "getting into an argument"

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times
I'd say if you live in an open-carry state the solution might not require a single word.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I'd say if you live in an open-carry state the solution might not require a single word.
Not even funny. What is it lately on this forum about people "joking" about picking off kids/teenagers??

Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not even funny. What is it lately on this forum about people "joking" about picking off kids/teenagers??

Wasn't a joke. Not suggesting any such thing.

The presence of a person capable of defending themselves from a group of people tends to make people very polite.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Yep, standing around a playground flashing weapons is a REALLY good way of dealing with things. MUCH better than having a conversation first....

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,717 times
Someone here is defending the rights of punk teenagers (young teens...whatever) to be rotten on a public playground? How can you possibly defend that? A playground is for younger kids to run & play without hearing the f bomb & being blocked while trying to slide down a slide.

I say get those punks out of there & let them come back if they plan on sliding, swinging, takining turns with other children & using clean language. Call the police for sure!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yep, standing around a playground flashing weapons is a REALLY good way of dealing with things. MUCH better than having a conversation first....
Carrying is not flashing. Your cell phone, which you carry, can be used to call in a cadre of men with guns.

You always have the choice of having a conversation before taking any threatening action whatsoever.

And of course, if you are uncomfortable with self-defense, don't do it. To each his own.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Not defending "punk kids" - just saying asking doesn't hurt. She said she wanted her kiddos to be able to play on the playground. Fine - before calling the police or pulling out a weapon, just ASK. May work. May not. Doesn't hurt to try the least confrontational thing FIRST.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Carrying is not flashing. Your cell phone, which you carry, can be used to call in a cadre of men with guns.

You always have the choice of having a conversation before taking any threatening action whatsoever.

And of course, if you are uncomfortable with self-defense, don't do it. To each his own.

Not uncomfortable with self-defense....There is a difference however between self-defense and threatening (your word not mine) kids at a public playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting