Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM

107 posts, read 306,350 times

Advertisements

sorry everyone i've just got to rant! we live in a pretty small town and there really isn't much for children (or teens) to do around here so it seems that everyone flocks to the large playground nearby. the problem is the little ones can't enjoy themselves there because it's packed with foul mouthed dirty minded disgusting little teenagers! they'll be atleast 30 of them "hanging out" on the slides, the swings, monkeybars, not doing nothing but blocking the children from actually playing there. the 12 year old little girls walking around in outfits i'm sure there fathers wouldnt be proud of and the horny little boys who talk about how they're tryin to "hit that." now i am not that old....25, and i do remember being that age, cursing, acting out, etc but jeeeeez i must have heard the "f word" a thousand times in the hour that i was there (not that i'm a saint or never curse but i try really hard to watch my mouth in front of the 2 year old) it's a shame i can't bring my lil boy to the playground and us enjoy ourselves.....guess i'll be getting one of those backyard playgrounds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Your kids will learn to deal with this. If they don't hear language like that at home, they will either not use it themselves, or learn to not use it in inappropriate times and places. Make sure the only language they hear at home is good and proper English. So what if they grow up "bilingual"?

Playground equipment is overrated and the novelty wears off pretty fast. Find other ways for them to play, and other places to do it. How many "little ones" are you talking about?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,955,035 times
Yes, don't you know that you need to expose your two year old to dirty language in order to learn to "deal" with it? /sarcasm

I'd be avoiding that park, and my kids are 8 and 6. This time of year all of the schooled kids are at the playgrounds, and we tend to try to find other things to do. (We homeschool, so we can use the parks any time we want throughout the year.)

Is it any better in the early mornings? I notice that at the parks near us, there's no one there until about 10:00, then it gradually gets busier and busier until about 1:00, when most of the littles leave for naptime. It's mostly big kids in the afternoon.

A disapproving look or a "Excuse me, he's trying to go down the slide" works well for one or two surly teens, but I don't know that I'd be going up against 20 of them with my toddler in tow. You could also try calling the parks and rec department to see if they have any suggestions or a plan of action.

You'll have your playground back in a couple of months when the schools open again.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:47 PM

i have one little boy, he's 2. and yes i can't WAIT for them to go back to school so we can actually go and play at the playground sadly we won't have much time til it gets cold outside. i just wish they would go hang out at the basketball court or something instead of sitting around on the playground equiptment blocking the children who actually want to play there. i'm gonna get him a little pool so we can have fun in the backyard for the meantime.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Have you tried asking them if they can move so your son can use the slide? They may not be the monsters you imagine them to be. They are probably just regular kids who don't think about how their actions affect others (like most kids).

Teenagers are not the monsters most parents of young kids think they are. My guess is that if you asked nicely they would move. Why not try it?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times
Why don't you just call the police?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:48 PM

i seriously don't think MOST of these kids are "nice." (im sure there are a few) if they are 14 15 years old, smoking and cursing in front of adults i don't think they have any respect for them you know what i mean? i don't call police, unless it was something serious. i mean they're really not doing anything illegal.........just gettin on my nerves, lol!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozer View Post
i seriously don't think MOST of these kids are "nice." (im sure there are a few) if they are 14 15 years old, smoking and cursing in front of adults i don't think they have any respect for them you know what i mean? i don't call police, unless it was something serious. i mean they're really not doing anything illegal.........just gettin on my nerves, lol!
Why not see what happens if you just ask if your son could use the playground equipment?

Most people's assumptions about teenagers are way off base.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,925,214 times
I'm going to agree that kids that age try and look tough, but in general, if asked nicely, I would be surprised if they didn't get out of the kids way.

The smoking doesn't make them extra mean - just extra ignorant and trying to look cool. If they were 18 or 19 I would think differently about saying something maybe. But 14, 15, 16....wouldn't be that big a deal. Like someone else mentioned, kids that age are obtuse. They probably don't even realize what they are doing.

As far as the language thing...well, it's unfortunate but seems to come with the territory. And same thing applies - they don't have that adult mind that tells them doing that around little ones isn't okay.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
Another vote with just asking the kids....nicely, not judgementally....Agree that most young teenagers really are clueless with respect that their actions/words are not "invisible" to others not in their immediate group....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting