Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM

136 posts, read 300,260 times

Advertisements

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world doesn't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss!

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger-flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault , so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Rule 12 : Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself' with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.

Rule 13 : You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

Rule 14 : Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.

Last edited by nmweatherman; 07-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: edited out html that showed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Another one: The boss pays you to do what you're told. If you pass that test, he will pay you more to do more important things. That's called "opportunity for advancement".

Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,363 times
I've seen this before. But I tell you what, I'mma print it out now. My son is starting his Sophmore year in high school.... I think a few years with this on the refridergator will get the point across.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM

13 posts, read 23,423 times
Kids don't grow up in a vacuum. Maybe a few parents should revisit these rules with their kids periodically.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
How about a possible rule 15 which is the rule in Alanboy395's house: Once you turn 18 off to work or to college or to boot camp. Any other choice than the three mentioned will draw automatic removal from this household.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:38 PM

160 posts, read 1,162,274 times
Love it--have two Seniors this year. All of these things are currently issues in our household! Especially the one where our daughter announced the other day that by the time she is 21, she will have cooler car than us!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I've seen this before. But I tell you what, I'mma print it out now. My son is starting his Sophmore year in high school.... I think a few years with this on the refridergator will get the point across.
I wish that were true. I have come to realize the piece of wisdom I pass on to my kids that I think is so clever, they just don't seem to understand. And they won't until they are adults themselves.

You know the song Will Smith wrote/sang Parents just don't understand? I wonder if he wishes he wrote another updated one now that he is a parent, Kids just don't get it?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,642 times
I guess I tend to appreciate and laugh at this now but I lived the life, if my parents dared tell me I couldn't have or do something because of typical limitations, I would do everything in my power to do it just to make sure they knew that I make my own life, not them. LOL!

(I just reread this and realized how this sounds! I sound like a stupid kid...I'm thinking along the lines of what I heard in my teen years, that I would be a "druggie," an alchololic, be pregnant before I graduated high school, probably wouldn't graduate, wouldn't make anything of myself, ect. It was not rational to even suspect me, a church going, great grades, social, and active in sports kid of such activity but I never was the favorite. My mother even made a bet with an aunt between my sister and I which would be pregnant before graduating. My mother was against me and for my sister. It hurt but I made dang sure my aunt won that bet, well I didn't make sure my sister got pregnant. She did that on her own. I avoided all of the junk and graduated with good grades, started my own business, married a man with "hair covering the top of his ears" and with tattoos (), and we made sure at least our first child was planned. Yup I loved my life of "rebellion" and what a healthy lifestyle it has turned out to be.)

It's so great to be able to look at a post like this and laugh now. But I do disagree with #3. Well not right out of high school but for sure before my college bound peers were. And sorry, same with the car, although it was picked not for coolness but practicality (Don't ask me where that car is now, lol.)

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-11-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 AM

136 posts, read 300,260 times
LOL! I wish I'd had these rules when I was raising "my three sons." Imagine "Lord of the Flies," that's what that experience was like!

Instead, I had to wing it. Gosh, I found out kids don't come with instruction manuals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting