Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,002 times

Advertisements

So I get a call from my sister tonight. To make a very long story short her EX is a loser. Her oldest 16 has went to see him for the summer. While there he had her write bad cheques and cash them For a total of $1400. So now the bank is after her and threatening to press charges. He is a piece of ****. What can I or my sister do to help the daughter and hang the ****? HE is a pro at scamming I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
I think you need to talk to a lawyer, the police or somebody. He needs to be shown he can NOT get away with that! What was she thinking doing it? At 16 she had to know it was wrong and she would get into trouble.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
So I get a call from my sister tonight. To make a very long story short her EX is a loser. Her oldest 16 has went to see him for the summer. While there he had her write bad cheques and cash them For a total of $1400. So now the bank is after her and threatening to press charges. He is a piece of ****. What can I or my sister do to help the daughter and hang the ****? HE is a pro at scamming I have to say.
You might want to post this in the Business subforum.

If you are asking from a parent perspective.... I would say the daughter has learned a rough lesson and the adults in her life should set a good example for her and keep in mind that the EX is still her father.

So, he is a loser...the poor daughter will have enough strife in life dealing with him. Why be so vindictive and make it harder emotionally for her?

Trying to "hang" him is a waste of energy and time. Letting go of the anger will help her more.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I would also talk to a lawyer. I would investigate if there are additional charges that can be brought against the father because she was a minor in his care at the time. The lawyer might be able to help navigate how to do that.

Edited for: Another thing to look into is going back to the court to end visitation rights or have supervised visitaton only.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,038 times
Talk to someone familiar with financial laws. Chances are, if she is 16 she isn't on the account by herself. As the parent, your sister will probably be held liable. Since the duaghter was in the care, custody and control of the father at the time, the momma may be able to sue him for at least half of the amount. Is there any proof that he influenced the bad checks? Contact where they were cashed, request copies of surveillance and see if he was present at the transaction. Although his behavior is deplorable, it is your neice who knowingly wrote the bad checks. If there are criminal charges, it would be against your neice.

The bank may help your neice if your sister is willing to work with them. But remember, they don't care one way or another about all the drama... they are looking at the money they are out. Ohhh, BTW, if your sister's name is on the account, they can draft the money out of her account. I learned this the hard way when my ex bounced checks all over the place and they raided my account without notice... even though we were divorced. Ex had lied to me about removing me from his account.... that was a 2500.00 lesson I learned.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Hmm;16 year old. I thnik she might need to go theru the justice system at a earlky age to really understand what has has done and that there are consequenece. At 16 she should be able to make chioces really and most know what they are doing. Best to learn while a juvenile and not a adult under law.No matter what she is a juvenile and responsible for her actions to them. just think god;she isn't a adult which is 18 in alot of states.Tryoing to get her out of iut is not the answer really.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Texdav - I totally disagree. This child was in the care of a parent, not a peer, companion or stranger. Further - she was probably trying to please him or at a minimum did not want to displease him. This adult betrayed his child - he should be held accountable.

To the OP - 16 is a touchy age - some jurisdictions may hold her responsible others may not. Get counsel - be honest and if they decide to press charges, she may be able to have adjudication withheld and get pretrial intervention - that way it wont go on her permanent record. All the best - and look into make sure that she doesnt have to spend time with him in the future.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
I"m with TexDav... best to make her take responsibility not only to make her accountable for her own stupid actions (and to make her realize just how stupid she was/is), but to make her realize her father did this to her. She's still a minor, there won't be any lifelong repecussions.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I"m with TexDav... best to make her take responsibility not only to make her accountable for her own stupid actions (and to make her realize just how stupid she was/is), but to make her realize her father did this to her. She's still a minor, there won't be any lifelong repecussions.
If a minor can be charged in criminal actions - you are not certain that there will not be lifelong repurcussions for a 16 year old. It depends upon the jurisdiction. The parent child relationship is among the most sacred and complex. Its not as if prosecuting her will enable her to see her father for the loser he is - if it were that simple - well. . . .

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
If you put her through the system, she has a record for life. Juvenile records in many states do not go away. It can screw up a lot of things for the future. In fact, there may huge problems in her having access to specific jobs. I'm thinking paying for something that is rightfully the father's responsibility is a waste. What a waste. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting