Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times

Advertisements

Forget about it. Over 25 ? You've got no chance.

But I gots to pay them bills. I'm here for life. Priorities set !

(vent over, don't want to date anyways)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
Good short story, who needs specifics?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:14 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
World's greatest short story:

A young man asked his girlfriend to marry him.

She said no.

And he lived happily ever-after.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Specifics ?

I moved here past age 30 for a job. I knew it was the only offer I was ever going to get, so I took it even though I didn't want to come here. It's better than starving, right ? If you're a 20 year old college student it's the best place in the world for dating, but if you're over 25, your chance of dating is 1% at best. And that's if you're a scholar and a gentleman with the looks of Apollo. An ugly looking rube like most of us, and it's more like 0.0000001%.

There are no single women here. Well, maybe there are about 8 of them, and they're all waiting for Apollo. There are plenty of college girls (not women) and married women with familes. So if you're a homewrecker, maybe you have a chance, but who wants to do that ?

This ain't no Washington, D.C. or Chicago, or even Altoona for that matter. But if I quit this job, I'll never get another job. So it's either date or eat, and I chose eating, 'cause if you don't have enough money to eat no woman will have you. I am at peace with that decision. Don't want some woman telling me what to do anyways. Freedom is good, as the other poster said.

The only thing that's frustrating is visiting a place like Washington D.C. and seeing all the beautiful, single, grown up women. Then you come back here and cry for a full week.

Anything else you want to know ?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:37 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
What about grad students?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM

They only date other grad students ?

Never let facts get in the way of a whiny rant.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:21 PM

But, speaking of facts ...

There aren't too many graduate students (3,000 female in State College). Most of them are either already married or too young for somebody who's 30+.

Contrast that to a place like D.C. that has thousands of single, adult women.

I think it's a bad sign that nearly all of my work colleagues are already married, and all 4 of the other singles have completely given up on dating.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

21 posts, read 75,225 times
Have you tried a volleyball leagues at the YMCA, or maybe some activities for grad students on campus. Who says that grad students only date grad students is that some sort of law?

If you want things to happen why don't you try casting a wider net through online dating like match.com or eharmony. State College may not have a lot of singles but you'll be able to interact with singles from Harrisburg or Pittsburgh not really too far.

Try volunteering somewhere or do hobbies you enjoy with others. Do you go to a gym?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 PM

139 posts, read 366,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
... but if you're over 25, your chance of dating is 1% at best. And that's if you're a scholar and a gentleman with the looks of Apollo. An ugly looking rube like most of us, and it's more like 0.0000001%.

There are no single women here. Well, maybe there are about 8 of them, and they're all waiting for Apollo. There are plenty of college girls (not women) and married women with familes. So if you're a homewrecker, maybe you have a chance, but who wants to do that ?

This ain't no Washington, D.C. or Chicago, or even Altoona for that matter. But if I quit this job, I'll never get another job. So it's either date or eat, and I chose eating, 'cause if you don't have enough money to eat no woman will have you. I am at peace with that decision. Don't want some woman telling me what to do anyways. Freedom is good, as the other poster said.
This goes both ways--there are also "no men." When I was 20, I could meet a man while having breakfast, walking down the street, at work, practically anywhere--now, at 45, EVERY man I meet is married, and that is not an exaggeration. I must say, my standards are not particularly high: you must not be into drugs or a drunk (recovering is OK); you must like animals, you should have a similar political and worldview and be able to discuss something more than what happened on Southpark last night. Apparently, this is asking for the moon.
I can't tell you how many times I have looked on match.com and seen someone I thought was perfectly attractive (I like a man with a little meat on his bones) but probably overweight by definition who is, say, between 45 and 55, and in their "must haves," they want to meet someone who is 20 to 35 and "slender" or "toned" (when they tip the scales at what must be about 250, 260). Good luck, is all I have to say to that.
For the record, I skip over the "Apollos"--I don't want to have to compete for room on the bathroom sink or the mirror .

Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
Default Don't give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
This goes both ways--there are also "no men." When I was 20, I could meet a man while having breakfast, walking down the street, at work, practically anywhere--now, at 45, EVERY man I meet is married, and that is not an exaggeration. I must say, my standards are not particularly high: you must not be into drugs or a drunk (recovering is OK); you must like animals, you should have a similar political and worldview and be able to discuss something more than what happened on Southpark last night. Apparently, this is asking for the moon.
I can't tell you how many times I have looked on match.com and seen someone I thought was perfectly attractive (I like a man with a little meat on his bones) but probably overweight by definition who is, say, between 45 and 55, and in their "must haves," they want to meet someone who is 20 to 35 and "slender" or "toned" (when they tip the scales at what must be about 250, 260). Good luck, is all I have to say to that.
For the record, I skip over the "Apollos"--I don't want to have to compete for room on the bathroom sink or the mirror .

I was almost 49 when I met my gf when she needed a ride home from Taco Bell. And we were together for a little over 4 years until she recently passed away. So, you never know when or where you'll meet someone!

Which kinda brings to mind, I now have her dog to take care of(I'm a cat person, though!), but when I took the dog for walkies yesterday, there was this pretty gal who took a picture of us, so, hmmm....

Maybe she likes older men...nah, probably just likes dogs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania