Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Don't limit yourself in terms of age. I'm 31, and in September I'll be visiting a woman in Chicago who's 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,976 times
A few things:

1) Well yes...being an adult in a huge college town isn't going to bode very well for your dating life. More or less, you'll be looking at 21-25 year old extortionists that are after older guys with money. The rest are going to be too clueless and busy doing keg stands to give you the time of day, they've yet to learn that going after the QB never ends well and have a few more years to go. It is what it is, you're stuck in college culture limbo and have no way out. Obviously, a real city is going to have more "women" just due to the nature of it all and the numbers game.

2) It's not all bad. State College is, IMO, the third best place to live in PA behind Philly and Pittsburgh. If visiting D.C. and Chicago depresses you(well no crap...those are global cities compared to a college town), just drive a bit north to a depressing little patch town or out to Johnstown and THEN see how you feel. Really, you could have ended up in a place far worse than State College. I'd actually say that you lucked out some.

3) WTF!!!! You're only 30...yes, you may feel old due to the dominant 20-25 crowd/culture of the area, but you're nowhere near old enough to be that depressed just yet. You're going to probably have to settle on a younger girl, but go buy some nice clothes and work out some. Maybe you need to work on your own image a little, which is only as hard as you choose to make it. You're not going to find your NYC business woman with a perfect 10 body and a $100k salary, but PLENTY of college girls are after someone who's older and more mature. The fact that you're somewhat established in life should play to your advantage, you're above all of those evil little frat j@ckasses running around. I really think that you might not know what you're doing in some aspects, or you might just be a bit too picky.

4)....you're permanently stuck in one of the nation's largest heaps of attractive girls/women. Seriously, I wouldn't be complaining about that and would make the most of it. I understand entirely what you're saying and where you're comming from...but really. Maybe you won't find a wife, yet trial/error should at least be fun enough to keep you going. Again, I think you just might not know where to go in order to meet people and might just need some confidence work...I wouldn't be chasing after 18 year olds at 30, but there's no reason why you couldn't find somebody in a place like State College. Stop worrying about your friends and other people, stop worrying about what people in D.C. are doing, and start constructing a happy life in the great town that you've landed in.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 06-13-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM

139 posts, read 366,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbafett3 View Post
I was almost 49 when I met my gf when she needed a ride home from Taco Bell. And we were together for a little over 4 years until she recently passed away. So, you never know when or where you'll meet someone!

Which kinda brings to mind, I now have her dog to take care of(I'm a cat person, though!), but when I took the dog for walkies yesterday, there was this pretty gal who took a picture of us, so, hmmm....

Maybe she likes older men...nah, probably just likes dogs!!
LOL! You are right; never give up. Sorry to hear about your gf. That is really nice of you to take care of her dog! I'm sure a nice person like you with a positive attitude will attract someone in no time!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,640 times
Marriage isn't all its cracked up to be. Don't be too eager to lose your freedom.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,836,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
World's greatest short story:

A young man asked his girlfriend to marry him.

She said no.

And he lived happily ever-after.

Another variation:
Quote:
Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess.... 'Will you marry me?'

The Princess said, 'NO !!!' ;

And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf and drank beer and coffee and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted..

The End
Except for the Prince and Princess part, that probably is a lot closer to the truth in State College. She got an advanced degree, moved to Baltmo, married a MD, had 2 children, kept her career, and that family lived happily ever after on a sustained gross income of at least $300k per year.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Marriage isn't all its cracked up to be. Don't be too eager to lose your freedom.

Marriage without all of the financial struggles and the family chores is really not bad at all. Dual-income career couple with no or just one child is a very nice lifestyle. Hire help for the housecleaning scutwork, take the shirts to the laundry, marry a woman who has a decent income like teaching or RN or engineer or MD or whatever, and make sure she's one who wants to stay working. Unless the child has health problems or special needs, there is absolutely NO reason to have a stay-at-home housewife today. There has not been one of those in my family since the 1930s. And SHE had hired day help for the housework, even. Actually, domestic day help was pretty common for the middle class before WWII. That changed after the war sometime.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Marriage without all of the financial struggles and the family chores is really not bad at all.
I know plenty of couples that divorced with no kids.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Well, I'm one of those, but I divorced over the $40k of credit card debt he racked up in his own name for his personal toys, then expected me to pay off for him. I left before the 10-year mark, and before the actual financial struggles could start. The court awarded him his debt pile. Aside from the incompatibilities, it wasn't a bad lifestyle. I'd do it again, except with someone I share common goals with. Like financial solvency, lol.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
A few things:

1) Well yes...being an adult in a huge college town isn't going to bode very well for your dating life. More or less, you'll be looking at 21-25 year old extortionists that are after older guys with money. The rest are going to be too clueless and busy doing keg stands to give you the time of day, they've yet to learn that going after the QB never ends well and have a few more years to go. It is what it is, you're stuck in college culture limbo and have no way out. Obviously, a real city is going to have more "women" just due to the nature of it all and the numbers game.

2) It's not all bad. State College is, IMO, the third best place to live in PA behind Philly and Pittsburgh. If visiting D.C. and Chicago depresses you(well no crap...those are global cities compared to a college town), just drive a bit north to a depressing little patch town or out to Johnstown and THEN see how you feel. Really, you could have ended up in a place far worse than State College. I'd actually say that you lucked out some.

3) WTF!!!! You're only 30...yes, you may feel old due to the dominant 20-25 crowd/culture of the area, but you're nowhere near old enough to be that depressed just yet. You're going to probably have to settle on a younger girl, but go buy some nice clothes and work out some. Maybe you need to work on your own image a little, which is only as hard as you choose to make it. You're not going to find your NYC business woman with a perfect 10 body and a $100k salary, but PLENTY of college girls are after someone who's older and more mature. The fact that you're somewhat established in life should play to your advantage, you're above all of those evil little frat j@ckasses running around. I really think that you might not know what you're doing in some aspects, or you might just be a bit too picky.

4)....you're permanently stuck in one of the nation's largest heaps of attractive girls/women. Seriously, I wouldn't be complaining about that and would make the most of it. I understand entirely what you're saying and where you're comming from...but really. Maybe you won't find a wife, yet trial/error should at least be fun enough to keep you going. Again, I think you just might not know where to go in order to meet people and might just need some confidence work...I wouldn't be chasing after 18 year olds at 30, but there's no reason why you couldn't find somebody in a place like State College. Stop worrying about your friends and other people, stop worrying about what people in D.C. are doing, and start constructing a happy life in the great town that you've landed in.
Great post ! You hit the nail on the head ! You saw through my rant.

The real reason I don't have a girlfriend is I
1) refuse to get good clothes
2) refuse to shave properly
3) refuse to do anything about my smelly feet, breath, and armpits
4) refuse to get out and meet people
5) unwilling to date anybody who's overly obese or disabled (but that's non-negotiable)

Actually I don't think I smell all that bad (unless I'm sweating, didn't brush my teeth, or got my shoes wet) but somewhat bad, but my image could defintely use a big makeover.

You are right, it is much tougher to date here than in D.C., but the way I'm doing things, I wouldn't be able to find a date on Lemnos.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Forget about it. Over 25 ? You've got no chance.

But I gots to pay them bills. I'm here for life. Priorities set !

(vent over, don't want to date anyways)

Back to Happy Valley dating woes or we can move this to the Relationship forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania