Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 22,389 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move from TX to the Bellefonte area. Can anyone tell me a little about renting either a condo/townhouse or apartment that is not in the student areas? Is there even such an animal? Nothing against students, but I'm in my 60's and really want a quiet place to live.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 134,994 times
Bellefonte will be a great place for you. I know many people your age who love it here. I know a lot about Bellefonte. Getting a townhouse without students should be easy, with many new one-level condos being built. Students from Penn State, which is 10-15 minutes away, mostly stay in State College when looking for housing. Bellefonte is a charming town with a lot of history. Crime rate is also very low. It is a very rural area, which is very peaceful. I am so glad you picked Bellefonte! You'll love it!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
bellfont strikes me as a nice area. I would live there. You are wise to avoid State college. The shopping prices are higher there. Locals head toward Lock Haven. Dont get me wrong, State college is nice- I am retired as well, and prefer a quiet neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times
Bellefonte is the geographic center of Pennsylvania. It has broad tree lined streets, a nice square and older victorian style homes. Penn's Cave is nearby as is bald eagle state park, excellent if you like outdoorsy stuff to do. biking, biking, hunting, fishing abounds. many people commute to state college for work.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I recently read the independent newspaper "Voices of Central Pennsylvania" while visiting friends at PSU, and I was wondering if the "Centre County Housing Crisis" includes Bellefonte as well or is only confined to State College? Essentially, people living in State College can't afford to live there, with average home sales prices now exceeding $200,000. People drive into State College from far-flung places like Lock Haven and Lewistown in order to purchase their own homes. Is Bellefonte just as expensive? I heard from my friends that I'd love the town because of all of its "gay architecture" (code-word for Victorians I suppose...LOL!), but we didn't get the chance to visit Bellefonte. I'd love to head back there sometime, especially after seeing Evergrey's photo tour a while back.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,018 times
We're moving to state college as well, and are considering bellefonte b/c it's not in the college vicinity. Charming!!! I'm considered about my drive to work (both my husband and I have jobs on the south east side...so we'd have to skirt campus traffic). I looked at homes to rent a couple weeks ago while in town, I think you'd easily find something you'd like (the one I looked at was 900 or 950, great for my family...just too far!!) Good luck!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM

33 posts, read 134,994 times
Bellefonte has very affordable housing. Check out happyvalleyhomes.com to get an idea of what you get for how much. It's not as expensive as State College.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM

308 posts, read 680,115 times
Hi everyone!

Bellefonte sounds like a great little town and somewhere I would be very interested in living. How is the job market within a 45 minute commute of Bellefonte? Any major corporations/employers that would need a financial staff accountant as myself?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 AM

Anybody have any info? Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
Bellefonte is the geographic center of Pennsylvania. It has broad tree lined streets, a nice square and older victorian style homes. Penn's Cave is nearby as is bald eagle state park, excellent if you like outdoorsy stuff to do. biking, biking, hunting, fishing abounds. many people commute to state college for work.
Hi openless,

What kind of work can be found at State College?

Thanks,
Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania