Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times

Advertisements

I just came fromt he Lancaster area and would consider moving there...cheaper prices, lower property and sales taxes, change of season...low crime, nice rural feel....

then again. I grew up in and lived in NYC for a little over 30 yrs and I think of it as the armpit of the USA....perhaps the OP grew up in and was raised in PA for a large chucnk of his life and just needed to get out...I need to get out of NY State , just like the other 1.6 million people that have since the year 2000.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythewise View Post
Is it the potholes in the road?
Is it the neverending road construction projects?
Is it the below-average salary in most job areas?
Is it the uneducated idiots with a chip on their shoulder?
Is it the fact that it only has one semi-modern city?
Is it the high murder rate of Filthadelphia? Reading?
Would you vacation here for more than a day?
Is it the awful regional cuisine?
Is it the dumb dutch culture? (I use the word 'culture' sparingly)

And to those who moved out of PA, how long did it take you to Detox
PA from your system? Don't be afraid these hicks can't harm you anymore.

Exactly.
it's people like you

Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I just came fromt he Lancaster area and would consider moving there...cheaper prices, lower property and sales taxes, change of season...low crime, nice rural feel....

then again. I grew up in and lived in NYC for a little over 30 yrs and I think of it as the armpit of the USA....perhaps the OP grew up in and was raised in PA for a large chucnk of his life and just needed to get out...I need to get out of NY State , just like the other 1.6 million people that have since the year 2000.
Amen to this. NY is the pits to me.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Pa isn't that bad. It has great country and close neighbors. It has four seasons although I could use only one month of winter. I like Lancaster a lot. Skipback area is pretty. Every place has it's ups and downs.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Pennsylvania is the best overall state in the nation. I miss it quite a bit.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Lots to love about PA~open spaces, historic architecture in many small towns, green valleys, mountains, cost of living, proximity to major cities (if not Philly or Pittsburgh, you are probably close to NYC, Baltimore), the number of colleges/universities/schools for higher education. Did I mention cost of living? Living is somewhat laid back, and there is a strong sense of family values.

Came here from central New Jersey (NYC suburb) where taxes were high, property was higher, roads were always crowded, and the attitude of entitlement (me first above all else) was pervasive. However, there was far more tolerance for different cultures than I have found in PA.

Many who leave PA do ultimately return to retire...according to one study, PA has the highest birth to death rate of any state in the nation, the number of people who are born here and die here. Interesting....

Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I grew up in Ebensburg and my opinion on why it "sucks" is mostly based on the people. They were just so insular and small minded where I grew up it drove me nuts.

There's a line in the song "Small Towns" by JCM that has always driven me nuts. It goes "I can be who I want in a small town...". My experience is the exact opposite. If you are not someone who falls in line with everyone else, then you are a pariah.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I grew up in Ebensburg and my opinion on why it "sucks" is mostly based on the people. They were just so insular and small minded where I grew up it drove me nuts.

There's a line in the song "Small Towns" by JCM that has always driven me nuts. It goes "I can be who I want in a small town...". My experience is the exact opposite. If you are not someone who falls in line with everyone else, then you are a pariah.
Yeah and in a small town everyone knows your name and your business, that's small town PA. Not to mention Xenophobia, probably without a doubt I experienced that more in parts of PA and being a native I found this odd, one can move from one region in PA to another and people there will treat you like an outsider.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Unless you have lived in every small town in the state, I don't know how you can say that they are all a certain way. We moved to our small town almost 14 years ago. After the first year, I felt right at home and now have a hard time getting out of one of the two grocery stores in town in a short amount of time because there is always someone in there I know who wants to talk.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Unless you have lived in every small town in the state, I don't know how you can say that they are all a certain way. We moved to our small town almost 14 years ago. After the first year, I felt right at home and now have a hard time getting out of one of the two grocery stores in town in a short amount of time because there is always someone in there I know who wants to talk.
Yeah, it kind of baffles me when people imply that 12,702,379 (and growing) different people can all have the exact same mentality simply because they live in a certain state. Ironically, these tend to be the same people who complain about simple-mindedness.

By the way, I know a guy who moved from Tifton, GA to Hershey, PA, and he's doing well and enjoying himself. He runs his own business and has a giant house near Blue Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania