Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:37 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Right now, it gets drier from east to west in Pennsylvania. The Pittsburgh area is in a moderate drought right now, but there are some thunderstorms rolling through today. The only reason eastern Pennsylvania is not in a drought is because May was abnormally wet. Otherwise, April, June and July have been pretty dry.

Philadelphia officially notched its second 100° day of the summer today. It's still too early in the day to tell what the official high temperature will be, but it will be at least 100°.
My car registered 102 yesterday on the way home?
Hope your having a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
It's been dry here in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA.
With that being said we also received a very large amount of rain in early through mid June.
We have been living on that reserve here for quite awhile however we did receive over an inch last week and over an inch today.

The most drought stricken areas of the country have been with little rain for months.
Crops in this area like corn remain very viable , green and tall.
It's my assessment that this part of southeastern PA is not in a drought at this time.
I live a few miles south of you...it seems always, the rain effects so many communities around us, but we never usually receive the weather other communities around us get.
Cousin lives in Coopersburg and they are surely getting a lot of rain...Hope you faired well yesterday Julian...heard you guys got a lot of rain again.

Take care

Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't get what is going on...and please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.We are in a drought, 26 - 28 states have been declaired an emergency right?
Yet I'm hearing, nothing, NOTHING about conserving water, no reports on the local news about there is a ban on watering, filling swimming pools, etc??????? Years ago, when we were in a drought, people got fined for watering, and car washes had to use recycled water over and over again, even the hand held car washes???? What is going on with this generation? I mean, we're in a droubt, the president has declaired a national emergency within 26 or 28 states, and yet, no one is talking about water conservation? Our local news isn't even telling us how many inches we are low?
And is anyone getting sick? So so many people in our area are complaining of dizzyness, sick to the stomach, chills, etc, and we feel it's from the heat? Anyone else feeling this?
I am not in Pa. but did hear that Pa. was having some miserable, hot weather. We are in the same predicament here in CT and have also not heard anything about drought conditions. I do believe we are probably out of whatever drought we might have been in as we did get a monster thunderstorm last night. My neighbors beautiful apple tree is laying on the ground now, knocked over by a bolt of lightening..sad. It rained and carried on most of the night. Hope some of that rain did find its way to Pa. Stay cool!!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Because the rain that we are getting is spotty; some of us should be declared drought area and some of us should not.

Where I sit in Swiftwater; we usually miss the rainfall. It splits and goes north and east or it goes south and east of us. Right now the Tobyhanna and Mount Pocono areas have been hit with thunderstorms for the last hour or so and we have not seen one drop. We are hoping that we get some of the rainfall – it looks like we might get some around four or five today.

I have a small pond that has been dry for the last two weeks. Last year it did not go dry. A next door neighbor's pond has been dry for the last week. Several days ago we did get two inches – but the ground is dry if you just dig down one inch. The rain just ran off. We need a good day or more of soaking rain to replenish our water.
many years ago, I lived in Kunkletown, nice area, hope you are happy there in Swiftwater...have not returned since I moved away about 16 or 17 years ago. Loved it up there...
Be well
Creme

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I am not in Pa. but did hear that Pa. was having some miserable, hot weather. We are in the same predicament here in CT and have also not heard anything about drought conditions. I do believe we are probably out of whatever drought we might have been in as we did get a monster thunderstorm last night. My neighbors beautiful apple tree is laying on the ground now, knocked over by a bolt of lightening..sad. It rained and carried on most of the night. Hope some of that rain did find its way to Pa. Stay cool!!
Where I am situated, we didn't get much, but anything is better then nothing...
Heard Jim Cantori say last evening that you guys were getting hit pretty badly...hope you retained your electric. Be well
Creme

Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Where I am situated, we didn't get much, but anything is better then nothing...
Heard Jim Cantori say last evening that you guys were getting hit pretty badly...hope you retained your electric. Be well
Creme
Hi Creme..I do think the electric might have gone off and back on again which messes up our phone, clocks that are electric like the ones on micro and stove. Our poor dog was a mess all thru the storm. I was afraid she would have a heart attack. Nothing comforts her. I even tried to take her down into the basement and she still shook and panted. She seems ok this morning. I keep telling her that for being a Pit Bull, she certainly is a big sissy! LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
My car registered 102 yesterday on the way home?
Hope your having a good day.
WOW 102 degrees..that is beyond hot. I didn't check the temps here yesterday except for what the t.v. said. It was 98 in parts of CT and then we got this MONSTER thunderstorm..awful. Overcast again today and to be honest, would not mind more rain!!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Hi Creme..I do think the electric might have gone off and back on again which messes up our phone, clocks that are electric like the ones on micro and stove. Our poor dog was a mess all thru the storm. I was afraid she would have a heart attack. Nothing comforts her. I even tried to take her down into the basement and she still shook and panted. She seems ok this morning. I keep telling her that for being a Pit Bull, she certainly is a big sissy! LOL
Yanno, I have a co-hort who has the same problem with their lab. They went to the vet and got seditives to give to the dog, b/c he was so scared during storms, he literally hurt himself.
You might want to consider doing that?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
WOW 102 degrees..that is beyond hot. I didn't check the temps here yesterday except for what the t.v. said. It was 98 in parts of CT and then we got this MONSTER thunderstorm..awful. Overcast again today and to be honest, would not mind more rain!!
Me to, would love some rain...the crops in the mid west need rain badly....

Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
We live in the Valley (Wilkes-Barre) so our power rarely goes out during even the most torrential storms. I admit we are spoiled in regards to that. The power flickered last night for probably a second and I started getting nervous. I hate being without power and I'm not very good at "roughing it" at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania