Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times

Advertisements

I would definitely reccommend the state's Upper Tier. I just visited Tioga and Bradford counties and they are some of the most beautiful areas in Pennsylvania!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
and . My neighbor has goats.. about 30 of the suckers. He stores them in his basement.
And your point is what ??

Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Williamsburg is near Altoona. There isn't too many people, just enough, depending. There's an amusement park in the area, a train track turned into a nice path of some sort, gas was fifty cents a gallon cheaper than Pittsburgh. A cow came up to the window while we were having breakfast next to a farm. I liked it a lot. It has what you need and isn't overdone.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM

93 posts, read 325,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Williamsburg is near Altoona. There isn't too many people, just enough, depending. There's an amusement park in the area, a train track turned into a nice path of some sort, gas was fifty cents a gallon cheaper than Pittsburgh. A cow came up to the window while we were having breakfast next to a farm. I liked it a lot. It has what you need and isn't overdone.
I am shocked to see someone mention Williamsburg. Williamsburg sounds like just what some people are looking for. The path that you are talking about is called Rails to Trails. It is about 16 miles long, next to the frankstown branch of the Juniata River. Almost entirely wooded and has a about mile of paved trail. The rest is gravel people ride bikes or just walk on it. The town it self is about 1 square mile. It has a dollar general store, martins general store and a grocery store. Walmart in Huntington is only 15 minutes away. Right outside of town is farms in almost every direction. The only bad thing about Williamsburg is that is in a big hole and surrounded by mountains.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 PM

199 posts, read 712,526 times
I live in a small town of Gallitzin having moved from SoCal, been here almost two years now. Cambria and Blair County are good suggestions, lots of rural areas, nice small towns and close to WalMarts, etc. I love living here. I have a four bedroom, three bath older home on almost an acre for under a $85k. Nice people too

Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Yeah the cost of living is really cheap here. (Blair county area)

Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 AM

67 posts, read 198,758 times
My husband grew up in Altoona and I was raised in Patton (Cambria Co.). After living away from the area for 40 years, we are considering moving back "home" to retire. We don't want to live in Altoona, but want to be reasonably close and in a smaller community. Surfing around the internet I found a very neat old house near Huntingdon. We have foggy memories of the area, day trips to Raystown Dam and Canoe Creek, and are thinking this may be the area for us.

My question is this: Would the Huntingdon area be accepting of a kind of old hippie-type couple? Vegetarians, organic gardeners, involved in dog rescue and environmental issues? Or would we be shunned as weirdo's?

I've also seen mentioned that it is difficult to get a job in the area. Does that include part-time jobs in maybe a bookstore or antique shop, something like that?

We do know we'd like to stay east of the mountains, where the winters aren't quite as harsh.

Thanks for any input!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
The immediate State College area is not a good fit. Its becoming costly and over populated. If you want peace and quiet look about 30 mins north. Around the Snow Shoe area. Get yourself a 5 acre parcel that backs state game lands. You would be home free.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem16 View Post
My husband grew up in Altoona and I was raised in Patton (Cambria Co.). After living away from the area for 40 years, we are considering moving back "home" to retire. We don't want to live in Altoona, but want to be reasonably close and in a smaller community. Surfing around the internet I found a very neat old house near Huntingdon. We have foggy memories of the area, day trips to Raystown Dam and Canoe Creek, and are thinking this may be the area for us.

My question is this: Would the Huntingdon area be accepting of a kind of old hippie-type couple? Vegetarians, organic gardeners, involved in dog rescue and environmental issues? Or would we be shunned as weirdo's?

I've also seen mentioned that it is difficult to get a job in the area. Does that include part-time jobs in maybe a bookstore or antique shop, something like that?

We do know we'd like to stay east of the mountains, where the winters aren't quite as harsh.

Thanks for any input!
Sure I think you would be accepted. Huntingdon County has a humane society and there is a lot of out doors type things to do. I am not so sure about the jobs. Though I don't think that it would be hard to find a part time job.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 AM

67 posts, read 198,758 times
Thanks, Pureblood! We are planning a short trip up that way in the spring to check things out and start the house-hunting process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania