Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 AM

213 posts, read 1,087,520 times

Advertisements

Two universities, two jobs in my area. One in Lock Haven PA and another in Millersville PA. Have never been to either place.

Which university is better (has the better reputation)? Which area/town is better (safer, friendlier, economically healthier, more liberal...)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 08:18 PM

98 posts, read 434,525 times
I had visted Lock Haven and I did not like it. The college seems isolated(there is a canel or something to that effect right by the college and the kids walk along it. But the town was small and there did not seem to be much to do.

When we visited 6 years ago the town was loosing jobs(a major factory was closing from what I remember).

Millersville is right by York, Hershey,Lancaster and many other nice towns. Philadelphia is less than an hour away and they have Amtrak service right to Philly from Lancaster.

I would pick Millersville Big time over Lock Haven.. There is so much to do -so many places to go, lots of shopping- a busy building market(because of Maryland and Philly people).

Maryland border is close where homes are outragous so people are heading up to lancaster county to getting a better buy for their money.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:25 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,510 times
ive been in Selinsgrove many years- and neither U comes up too often around this area. I havent heard good OR bad on either place.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times
I actually grew up in Millersville and spent a year at Lock Haven before transfering to Temple University in Philadelphia. Millersville is leaps and bounds beyond Lock Haven. Millersville University recieved a bonus of $36 million from the state because they were the top performing state system school this past year and have been towards if not the top for awhile now. Millersville is part of the Lancaster MSA, located only 2 miles from downtown Lancaster. The county has over 500,000 in population and is growing economically. All major stores and/or wants/needs are readily available in Lancaster. They even have their own minor league baseball team and stadium and a developing nightlife scene in Lancaster City. A $165 million hotel and CC is being developed downtown as well. There are also some other schools located nearby, such as the Ivy League wantabe Franklin and Marshall College (located in Lanc).

When I chose Lock Haven I did so because my friend was going there, and he was smarter than any of the other kids I associated with. This school is not very good. I was in the Honors Program and it was not hard to maintain a 3.8 for my first year. I transfered because the area is so isolated and economically depressed. It takes an hour to get to any population centers, and even so they are relatively small (state college the Home of Penn State Uni an hour west w/ approx 200,000 and Williamsport an hour east with about 150,000). Anyhow, after spending a semester abroad in Scotland I decided to transfer because it was obvious I was missing out on opportunities and experiences.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackooboy View Post
I actually grew up in Millersville and spent a year at Lock Haven before transfering to Temple University in Philadelphia. Millersville is leaps and bounds beyond Lock Haven. Millersville University recieved a bonus of $36 million from the state because they were the top performing state system school this past year and have been towards if not the top for awhile now. Millersville is part of the Lancaster MSA, located only 2 miles from downtown Lancaster. The county has over 500,000 in population and is growing economically. All major stores and/or wants/needs are readily available in Lancaster. They even have their own minor league baseball team and stadium and a developing nightlife scene in Lancaster City. A $165 million hotel and CC is being developed downtown as well. There are also some other schools located nearby, such as the Ivy League wantabe Franklin and Marshall College (located in Lanc).

When I chose Lock Haven I did so because my friend was going there, and he was smarter than any of the other kids I associated with. This school is not very good. I was in the Honors Program and it was not hard to maintain a 3.8 for my first year. I transfered because the area is so isolated and economically depressed. It takes an hour to get to any population centers, and even so they are relatively small (state college the Home of Penn State Uni an hour west w/ approx 200,000 and Williamsport an hour east with about 150,000). Anyhow, after spending a semester abroad in Scotland I decided to transfer because it was obvious I was missing out on opportunities and experiences.
Thanks--this comparison was extremely helpful. My spouse is in the building industry, so hearing that there is some growth in Millersville is a plus. I like to shop, so that's another plus.

I've read elsewhere that Lancaster is very conservative. Can a liberal survive there?

Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times
The University is probably moderate to leaning Liberal... You'll be fine. If you live in the city the Democrats rule.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 PM

Default which city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackooboy View Post
The University is probably moderate to leaning Liberal... You'll be fine. If you live in the city the Democrats rule.
In which city do you mean? Millersville--or the more populated but nearby city of Lancaster?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Two universities, two jobs in my area. One in Lock Haven PA and another in Millersville PA. Have never been to either place.

Which university is better (has the better reputation)? Which area/town is better (safer, friendlier, economically healthier, more liberal...)?

Thanks!
Why is "liberal" considered better? And what do you mean by "liberal?"

Both Lock Haven and Millersville are almost identical as far as colleges go. Both about the same size and state-run. Millersville is a little more suburban, being outside of Lancaster. Lock Haven seems like a nice little college town, but it is in the mountains. But I believe that Williamsport is only about 30 minutes away. Although I would bet that Lock Haven has a lower cost-of-living.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM

Default clarifying "liberal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Why is "liberal" considered better? And what do you mean by "liberal?"
Liberal is a better fit for me, that's all. I would become frustrated living in a conservative area.

And I'm using the term here as it is used in the media, connected with political campaigning.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Liberal is a better fit for me, that's all. I would become frustrated living in a conservative area.

And I'm using the term here as it is used in the media, connected with political campaigning.

It seems that most parts of PA are conservative. The only exception would be Philadelphia and maybe Pittsburgh. I would say that both Lock Haven and Millersville would be fairly conservative areas. Although those towns would tend to be a little more liberal than their neighbors, being that they are college towns. Even though PA for the most part tends to vote democrat, PA democrats are more "old school" democrats....blue collar, working class, union democrats, rather than the new wave of wine-and-cheese elitists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania