Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,066 times

Advertisements

i know for a fact that the siren does not sound. i just got off the phone w/ my buddy that is a police officer in lewistown and has been the last 10 years or so he said it has not sounded for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
Thanks, Brian.

Last summer I called the Lewistown Chamber of Commerce.
The woman said the curfew still sounds.
(I am surprised they still do that today - most places have stopped the practice because it is intrusive and unneeded.)

Still enjoy seeing the pictures 3fingers posted of the crossing signals. As a child, I used to wash the red signal lens.

Others have commented about the drug problem.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM

30 posts, read 115,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab4222 View Post
i know for a fact that the siren does not sound. i just got off the phone w/ my buddy that is a police officer in lewistown and has been the last 10 years or so he said it has not sounded for years.
Not sure how I missed this post before, but I can assure you and your buddy that you're wrong. Every night at 10PM, two different fire sirens sound in Lewistown.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:34 PM

65 posts, read 227,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
Not sure how I missed this post before, but I can assure you and your buddy that you're wrong. Every night at 10PM, two different fire sirens sound in Lewistown.
Interesting!
Thanks, 3
Robert

Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Default The Acme store

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrijean981 View Post
My grandparents were from Lewistown, they used to live in the alley behind the old grocery store on Valley St., don't remember the name, but there is an electric company in there now.
Hi Sherriejean,

That store was the old Acme grocery market which closed in the early sixties...my brother was the produce manager. The alley where your grandparents use to live is now known as Church Lane. We moved to Valley Street in 1950 when I was five and our yard backed up to that alley. Your uncle Bill and I were friends for a while although I was a year ahead of him in school. We use to spend a lot of time flying wooden glider airplanes and playing wiffle ball in the Grace Evangelical church parking lot and also were members of the Boy Scout troop that met at that church. I'll never forget the Seven Mountains scout camp that year where we almost froze to death...the snow was hip deep...LOL!! After graduating from Lewistown High I joined the Air Force that summer and never returned to the area to live although I do come back occasionally to visit friends and relatives.

Last edited by northtexas3; 03-31-2008 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
Smile The real answers

I know you asked this question quite awhile ago, but I thought I'd answer your questions since no one else did. Yes, there is a train that still runs right through the downtown. And no, there is no curfew bell/horn or anything like that anymore. Hope that helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 AM

30 posts, read 115,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree123 View Post
I know you asked this question quite awhile ago, but I thought I'd answer your questions since no one else did. Yes, there is a train that still runs right through the downtown. And no, there is no curfew bell/horn or anything like that anymore. Hope that helps.
Actually, hab4222 answered the question about the train here and again I'll point out that the curfew siren most definitely DOES sound every single night at 10PM. Its no longer enforced, so it serves no purpose, but it does still sound every night at 10PM.

One of these evenings that I remember I'll grab an audio clip of it and post here, I just keep forgetting.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,451 times
Default Can you help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
I had an Aunt and Uncle that owned quite a bit of mountainess land there. I loved visiting them. My father told me of a train robbery there in the forties or earlier where the money ended up in the river never to be found.
Can you give me more info on the train robbery of 1909 at the narrows of Lewistown in PA. thanks T. Hunter

Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,451 times
Default Can your friend help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab4222 View Post
Can you or your friend give me any info on the train robbery of Dec.1,1909 at the narrows of Lewistown PA.? It would be very helpful. thanks T.Hunter

Old 05-17-2008, 12:48 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Hunter View Post
Can you or your friend give me any info on the train robbery of Dec.1,1909 at the narrows of Lewistown PA.? It would be very helpful. thanks T.Hunter
T. Check your pm box.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 21,398 times
Train robbery? I was born and raised back there in lewistown,and never heard of that one..I know the siren used to annoy me as a kid.. and the steady hammering of man edge tools factory..but years later found out i didnt sleep so well and my docter says it was years of living near loud noises..so when i am in the woods camping its hard to sleep..I do know for a fact after years of being away from there i can say with all due respect to anyone there it is a real backward craphole to live in.. the mountains and the river save it from being a complete lose.. but the drugs are making it hard to even visit.. people have no jobs and the ones that do are making half what anyone else is making...its sad..mexican laborers dont even go there..(you know its bad when they avoid and area)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania