Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Although Pittsburgh lost its major department stores over the past few years we still have high end pecialty stores with discount and a few mall stores mixed in. That list would include the following. There are others but I will not list them all.

Larrimor's
Joseph Orlando
Surmesur Custom Clothier
Heinz and Healy's
Doncaster on 5th
Carl S Herman Furs
Tom James
Nettleton Shoe Shop
Moop

Burlington
Footlocker
Jos A bank
Brooks Brothers

Villa
Social Status
The four stores in your second block can also be found in Center City Philadelphia. The ones above them all appear local to Pittsburgh to me.

Burlington Coat Factory is based in the New Jersey county of the same name; it has no connection to Burlington Industries.

Unless I'm mistaken, Villa is a sneaker and urban fashion store. That chain's Philly-born and Philly-based, and its owners are big on committing to inner-city retail districts (you'll find Villa stores on 52d Street in West Philly and a few blocks down from me at Chelten and Germantown avenues) and on promoting positive activities like succeeding in school and serving one's community. "Join the movement" is its slogan, and its website explains what that means.

I'm not familiar with Social Status. Is it similar to Villa?

Of the stores RightonWalnut rattled off, Boyd's is local to Philly and high-end. It's improperly classed as a "department store," though: it's a menswear retailer almost exclusively (I think it may now carry some women's items).

Local-to-Philly stores that are probably analogous to the ones you list above include:

Sherman Brothers Shoes
Knit Wit (temporarily homeless)
Jacques Ferber Furs
Cella Luxuria (furniture; it's closing, though)
Luxe Home (also furniture)
Lapstone & Hammer
Duke & Winston
South Moon Under (regional; originated in Rehoboth Beach, Del.)

The area known locally as "Rittenhouse Row" (core district: Walnut from Broad Street westward) also has a bunch of national designer (and other) boutiques (Armani Exchange, Jones New York, Vince, Under Armour, Talbots), chains (Banana Republic, Madewell, Lululemon Athletica) and specialty stores (New Balance, Apple, Thos. Moser...). I've only scratched the surface with the names mentioned here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Although Pittsburgh lost its major department stores over the past few years we still have high end pecialty stores with discount and a few mall stores mixed in. That list would include the following. There are others but I will not list them all.

Larrimor's
Joseph Orlando
Surmesur Custom Clothier
Heinz and Healy's
Doncaster on 5th
Carl S Herman Furs
Tom James
Nettleton Shoe Shop
Moop

Burlington
Footlocker
Jos A bank
Brooks Brothers

Villa
Social Status
There are quite a few local stores in Philadelphia like Skirt, Shop Sixty Five, Boyds, Ellelauri, South Moon Under, Knit Wit, Duke & Winston, etc.

Center City now has a pretty great selection of retailers: Barneys New York, Anthropologie, Lululemon, Tumi, Lagos, Stuart Weitzman, Zara, Intermix, Madewell, Michael Kors, Vince, Theory, Cole Haan, Jack Wills, Rag & Bone, Warby Parker, Bonobos, My.Suit, Suit Supply, Barbour, Brooks Brothers, Club Monaco, Armani Exchange, Tiffany & Co., Allen Edmonds, Camper, Uniqlo, Nordstrom Rack, Bloomingale's Outlet Store, Indochino, etc. etc. Many of these stores don't even seem to be available in the Pittsburgh area.

On top of that, Center City retail scene is about to explode with the redevelopment of the Gallery Mall into the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia, and the East Market development. A lot of new stores will be coming on the scene, and will create another large retail corridor along east Market Street where Macy's, Burlington Coat Factory and Century 21 already sit.

Then of course, there is the Philadelphia Mills mall in Northeast Philadelphia, which was also revamped recently and now includes a pretty good lineup including: Victoria's Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, Steve Madden, Saks Off Fifth, Polo Ralph Lauren, Nine West, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Loft, H&M, Guess, Forever 21, Express, Calvin Klein, Brooks Brothers, Hugo Boss, Bebe, BCBG, Banana Republic, American Eagle, Aldo, etc. etc.

Then of course there is King of Prussia. Many of the stores in King of Prussia are not only the ONLY stores in PA, but are pretty limited around the country as a whole, and are only available in a few metro areas: Allen Edmonds, Altar'd State, Bloomingdales, Bonobos, Hugo Boss, Bottega Veneta, Burberry, Bulgari, Cartier, Carolina Herrera, COS, David Yurman, Diane Von Furstenberg, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Gucci, Henri Bendel, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Joie, Kneipp, Long Champ, Lord & Taylor, Louis Vuitton, Marc Cain, MCM, Michael Kors, Montblanc, Neiman Marcus, Nic+Zoe, Nordstrom, Novesa London, Oliver Peoples, Philipp Plein, Primark, Rag & Bone, Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham, Saint Laurent, Salvatore Ferragamo, Shinola, St. John, Stuart Weitzman, Suit Supply, Superdry, Ted Baker, Tory Burch, Tourneau, Vince, Wolford, etc. etc.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 PM

One thing I just realized is there are no Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce or McLaren dealers in Pittsburgh area.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM

Avison Young Is Beefing Up In Philly To Pounce In Its Fertile Investment Market
https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...xpansion-72172

East Coast's fastest-growing marketing communications industry is Greater Philadelphia's: Report

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ly-region.html

Great article about the resurgence of the Tacony neighborhood in Northeast Philly
http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...a-saffron.html

Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You guys won't accept any 3rd party sourced data if its not Cheer-leading Philly. Its all Fake News to you Homers.

Just were are these jobs being created. Can't take Philly METRO number and apply it to the City of Philadelphia. We never disputed that Philadelphia suburban counties were the source of Philadelphia's job growth over the years.
68,000 jobs added in the Philadelphia metro from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 2.4%.

24,000 jobs added in the city of Philadelphia from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 3.4%. That's over 1/3 of the jobs in the region being created in the Philadelphia area. That's now a total of 715,000 jobs in the city of Philadelphia, which is more than all of Allegheny County.

9,300 jobs added in the Pittsburgh metro from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 0.8%. Decent numbers, and growth nonetheless, but much slower than Philadelphia.

You can post all the negative crap you want about Philadelphia, but both Philadelphia city and Philadelphia metro are growing leaps and bounds faster than Pittsburgh in both jobs and population.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
68,000 jobs added in the Philadelphia metro from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 2.4%.

24,000 jobs added in the city of Philadelphia from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 3.4%. That's over 1/3 of the jobs in the region being created in the Philadelphia area. That's now a total of 715,000 jobs in the city of Philadelphia, which is more than all of Allegheny County.

9,300 jobs added in the Pittsburgh metro from January 2016 to January 2017 for a growth rate of 0.8%. Decent numbers, and growth nonetheless, but much slower than Philadelphia.

You can post all the negative crap you want about Philadelphia, but both Philadelphia city and Philadelphia metro are growing leaps and bounds faster than Pittsburgh in both jobs and population.
Why are you bragging about Philadelphia finally having more jobs than Allegheny County? It has nearly 400,000 more people it should have all along! I'm not trying to bring Philadelphia down, but be realistic. It's catching up to where it SHOULD be not speeding ahead.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:32 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The four stores in your second block can also be found in Center City Philadelphia. The ones above them all appear local to Pittsburgh to me.

The first are high end local retailers. Larrimor's is the Boyd's of Pittsburgh. I started out as a mens boutique but blossomed into a mini department store that carries women apparel as well.

Burlington Coat Factory is based in the New Jersey county of the same name; it has no connection to Burlington Industries.

Unless I'm mistaken, Villa is a sneaker and urban fashion store. That chain's Philly-born and Philly-based, and its owners are big on committing to inner-city retail districts (you'll find Villa stores on 52d Street in West Philly and a few blocks down from me at Chelten and Germantown avenues) and on promoting positive activities like succeeding in school and serving one's community. "Join the movement" is its slogan, and its website explains what that means.

You are correct. Villa has been in Pittsburgh for a very long time. I support them because they do so much in the community. Pittsburgh has quite a few Villa stores in the city and eastern suburbs. I really like the store and concept.

I'm not familiar with Social Status. Is it similar to Villa?

Social Status is an upscale version of Villa and is a local store. I like the design of the stores but the service is not as polite as Villa. If I am plunking down $250.00 for a pair of sneakers I would like exceptional service.

Of the stores RightonWalnut rattled off, Boyd's is local to Philly and high-end. It's improperly classed as a "department store," though: it's a menswear retailer almost exclusively (I think it may now carry some women's items).

Similar to Larrimor's this store upgraded and expanded to fill the void after Saks closed

Local-to-Philly stores that are probably analogous to the ones you list above include:

Sherman Brothers Shoes
Knit Wit (temporarily homeless)
Jacques Ferber Furs
Cella Luxuria (furniture; it's closing, though)
Luxe Home (also furniture)
Lapstone & Hammer
Duke & Winston
South Moon Under (regional; originated in Rehoboth Beach, Del.)

Pittsburgh has a Luxe Home design center (Downtown and East Liberty) as well. We also have a few new small younger retail outlets pop up recently. Steel City Boutique, Moop, and Boutique La Passerelle. Most of the stores mention are within a small area. Downtown Pittsburgh is very small in area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4413...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The area known locally as "Rittenhouse Row" (core district: Walnut from Broad Street westward) also has a bunch of national designer (and other) boutiques (Armani Exchange, Jones New York, Vince, Under Armour, Talbots), chains (Banana Republic, Madewell, Lululemon Athletica) and specialty stores (New Balance, Apple, Thos. Moser...). I've only scratched the surface with the names mentioned here.

Pittsburgh's Walnut Street is located in Shadyside. Shadyside is east of Oakland and is in the heart of the East End. Stores include Apple, Banana Republic, Coach, American Apparel, J Crew, Gap, See Eye Boutique (New and very very nice!! This store replaced White House Black Market). Shadysides Walnut and Ellsworth Ave had more upscale local stores than national chains.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Why are you bragging about Philadelphia finally having more jobs than Allegheny County? It has nearly 400,000 more people it should have all along! I'm not trying to bring Philadelphia down, but be realistic. It's catching up to where it SHOULD be not speeding ahead.
Philadelphia UE is a whole percentage point higher than Allegheny county's, its nearly a whole % higher than the city of Pittsburgh.

It's good Philly is adding jobs (Although we don't know the type of work), but the number is NOTHING to brag about, specially over Pittsburgh.

With 25% of the city living in deep poverty i'm skeptical of the quality of jobs that Philly is adding.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Philadelphia UE is a whole percentage point higher than Allegheny counties, its .7 base points higher than the city of Pittsburgh.

It's good Philly is adding jobs (Although we don't know the type of work), but the number is NOTHING to brag about, specially over Pittsburgh.

With 25% of the city living in deep poverty i'm skeptical of the quality of jobs that Philly is adding.

This is why I don't bother paying attention to RightonWalnut, the boy lies and distorts facts, figures to prop up Philly, and the rest of the Philly boosters cheers this sh*t on. Seriously its like watching Trump (RoW) and Trump supporters (the other 1/2 dozen Philly Boosters on here) living in alternate reality about Philly.

They don't believe 3rd party data sources, which is unbiased without any dog in the fight. Its all Fake News because it tells a different story of Philly than what the hardcore Philly boosters want the world to believe. It's just like Trump and his delusional supporters and facts becoming Fake News.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I wasn't bragging, I was saying Allegheny County's number is pretty impressive, and that Philadelphia is now higher than that is impressive.

Why I think the city of Philadelphia having more jobs than Allegheny County is impressive despite it's higher population, is because Philadelphia County is the city ONLY, and is only 134 sq miles. Allegheny County is city, and surrounding suburbs, and a total of 745 square miles. There's a lot more land and diversity in the county where companies can locate in Allegheny.

To get to something even remotely the size of the land area of Allegheny County, you would have to combine Philadelphia County and Montgomery county into one. The total land area would be 621 square miles - still smaller than Allegheny County in land area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania