Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times

Advertisements

Are there any subdivisions in York that are the best to live in?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
What type of housing (size) do you need, are school systems important, and what is your price range? There is definitely something to meet your needs/wants. Do you want sidewalks, public sewer/water, quick access to highways, malls, restaurants etc? York has many zipcodes, and the areas outside of the downtown area are frequently classified by their subdivision or development name. Where will you be working? How far are you willing to travel for work or services?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Single family home
I have 2 children so great schools are important.
Price range in the 200's to 300.
I definitely would like sidewalks, and convenience to the malls, restaurants, etc.
Thanks.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Best school districts are York Suburban, Dallastown and Central, especially for the Junior/Senior High levels. Red Lion, West York and Eastern all get good praises in the elementary levels, not so sure about the high schools. Stay out of the city schools. Pretty much all of the schools do a good job with the students who are motivated and come from homes where education is valued and prioritized as the childs job until they finish school. Parental involvement and awareness is so important to the success, all the way through. The east side of York is more crowded, smaller lots (1/4-1/3 acre) but will get you proximity to malls, sidewalks, parks, easy access to 83 and 30 and many fine subdivisions, both older with character and ambience and new with amenities and young families.

How far do you need to travel to work?

Last edited by Yac; 12-19-2007 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: rea

Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM

33 posts, read 125,073 times
Well, I'm going to be a little self-serving here. Currently my family and I live in Dover, which is a few miles northwest of York. As I write this I'm in Chicagoland at a new job. We will relocating as soon as we sell our house. Our subdivision, Ashcombe Farms West, is not even three years old yet. In fact they are still building houses there.

The Dover area is a quiet area. It's a small town, only 5 miles away from all of the shopping: mall, restaurants, big box stores, etc. A little farther north and you're out in the country. You can see the Conewago Mountains from our house. My wife and I think the schools are great. My kids (3rd & 8th grades) are doing very well in school. My 8th grader is in an honors program.

Our subdivision is mostly younger families. There's lots of kids. There seems to be a lot of younger kids, and there will be a baby boom soon. A few of our neighbors are expecting next year.

It's going to be hard to leave. The people are great, and adjusting to the busy lifestyle of Chicagoland (although we'll probably end up living just over the line in Indiana; cheaper and quieter by far) is going to be tough.

And now for the self-serving part. Obviously, our house is for sale. If you're at all interested, PM me and I can give you the details.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 31,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Are there any subdivisions in York that are the best to live in?
Thanks.
There are so many really great subdivision in the York Area, it trully has everything to do with the price range you are looking in. Each school district has it's even share of diversely priced subdivisions, but what's really great right now is that it is a buyer's market and the opportunity to get a great deal has never been better. If you have a good credit score, the sky is the limit. Central School district, Suburban School Dist, Dallastown School district are all excellent. Another up and coming school district is Northeastern as well. They are just now building a state of the art new high school that will have all the bells and whistles. It is also an area that you will receive your biggest bang for your buck.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 12,567 times
Default Red Lion PA

We are moving to York, and a house that we absolutely love is in the
Red Lion School District. Can anyone tell me anything about that district and
area? Please, time is of the essence as we are moving soon!

Mary

Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM

For many years, Red Lion schools have taken a bad rap because of their "position" in the ranking of York schools. Prior to 1990 it was very rural and the majority of the students highest aspirations were to graduate from high school. Many were from successful farms or agricultural areas and would be groomed to run the family business. With new developments feeding into the schools, the Red Lion school district has improved, and your child/ren will do well if they are taught that education is their priority and you as the parent are engaged, encouraging and actively involved--staying in touch with teacher, helping in the classroom when able, and basically supporting your child through the system. The schools are modern, clean and overall the teaching staff is dynamic and up to date with the latest best methods for encouraging student learning. Many of the new developments are bringing in a different type of clientele (better educated parents who expect the same of their children). It's also growing faster than they can keep up with space needs. The high school has been enlarged 3 times in the last 15 years.

I live in the school district, and although I don't have children, we have hosted exchange students who have attended the high school and I've always been impressed with the students we've met. In our little subdivision, we've had neighbors whose children have graduated as either valedictorian or salutitorian or near the top of their class and gotten into great colleges or universities. The high school offers a ton of advanced placement courses, a wide variety of athletics, cultural and extra curricular activities.

The down side is that your child can have a friend that is 20 miles away. It's the largest sending/busing district in the state of PA. Many students that attend the 1 junior high or senior high are on a bus for 45 minutes each way to/from school.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:27 AM

60 posts, read 375,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAmc View Post
We are moving to York, and a house that we absolutely love is in the
Red Lion School District. Can anyone tell me anything about that district and
area? Please, time is of the essence as we are moving soon!

Mary
As for the area (since teachbeach covered the schools), Red Lion is probably one of the most charming little towns in York.

It has an active town square, where kids walk through during halloween during the parade. Plenty of shopping and close to outdoor activites.

They are building a mile long rail trail, and have an incentive program for the old houses in the town square to help with low APR on financing to rehab the front of their homes.

Living here for two years, the people are nice and most businesses seem to want to help and get your business which is a good change from the walmarts of the world.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 72,290 times
depending on what your looking for as far as business schools shopping and definately price and taxes of course theyre going up but I belive red lion's are supposed to be going higher and I know Dover's school isnt up to par compared to Central dallastown and suburban there are a lot of new homes that are foreclosed on or in short sale and just lowered price in general due to the market taking a slump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania