Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I often see BIG homes for sale on the MLS for "Oil City" Pennsylvania... like 7 bedroom homes for $30-50K. Is Oil City an "up and coming" place to live? Why are the homes so cheap? Would they require a lot of work and remodeling?

Plus, if anyone is from the area, what could one expect to be a gas/oil bill in a TYPICAL winter in the city? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
Those prices make me wonder, too. That's really, really cheap. Someone else inquired about Oil City in the thread "Moving to PA from CA". I can't imaging getting a decent house for that little money. If you're considering a move, please check into it very carefully.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 17,096 times
Default big homes in OC

Hi

I moved to Oil City from Boston 10 years ago and paid under $10,000 for a 2-bedroom house that needed only cosmetic repairs and a new roof. Those big Victorians are the real deal -- Oil City was the center of the oil industry and headquarters for three Fortune 500 companies. Rockefeller worked here. The companies moved out in the early 90's and the bottom fell out of the real estate market.

I didn't believe the prices either -- but it's true. If you can afford to paint the gingerbread and to heat it, you too can own an 18-room mansion!

It's a small town, but it has a branch campus of a university, a growing arts community, lots of outdoor stuff -- really!

Joann

Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
Wow, Joann!! Thanks so much for posting. I'm amazed at the prices there in Oil City! I just read an article about a fellow (I think he's a teacher) who makes religious sculptures in his spare time. Have you heard of him? I can't remember his name, though. I just thought, "Oh, Oil City. People have been asking about that on the board."

Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
This is why Oil city is my top choice and I talk about it alot! I have considered other locations but none interest me as much. Theres problems like prices are twice as high(but still fairly cheap) higher crime, traffic, bad winters, etc.

As for heating costs, it should be under $200 a month or you are doing something wrong. I spoke with my friends and none pay over $200 a month.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM

77 posts, read 473,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannw_2000 View Post
Hi

I moved to Oil City from Boston 10 years ago and paid under $10,000 for a 2-bedroom house that needed only cosmetic repairs and a new roof. Those big Victorians are the real deal -- Oil City was the center of the oil industry and headquarters for three Fortune 500 companies. Rockefeller worked here. The companies moved out in the early 90's and the bottom fell out of the real estate market.

I didn't believe the prices either -- but it's true. If you can afford to paint the gingerbread and to heat it, you too can own an 18-room mansion!

It's a small town, but it has a branch campus of a university, a growing arts community, lots of outdoor stuff -- really!

Joann
I grew up in Oil City and left in the mid 70's for California. At one time it was a vital area due to the oil industry. I have often considered moving back to the Oil City area but would probably experience culture shock.
Joann, in what part of Oil City did you buy a home? I grew up on the South Side...there were some beautiful homes there. I am curious about the growing arts community, too, and would love to hear about your impressions of Oil City.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,576 times
Red face Lainie-Where Do You Live in CA?

Where in CA do you live? I moved there in 1977 from VA and before that a town called Aliquippa near Pittsburgh. There is a possibility we may retire in PA. Yes, there will probably be culture shock. but I consider myself adaptable. I'd like a simpler, less materialistic, way of life.

Cathy

Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 PM

77 posts, read 473,866 times
Cathy -

In 1974, I moved from western PA to San Diego (Ocean Beach), a great place to be in the 70's. In 1985 my husband was transferred to the San Francisco Bay Area, where we first lived in Albany (near Berkeley) and then Walnut Creek. But metropolitan California has become too crowded for us. We may relocate to a smaller town within the state or leave CA completely.
Where in CA do you live and if you relocated to PA, will it be in the Pittsburgh area?

Old 01-27-2007, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 17,096 times
Default Oil City and Arts

Hi Lainie and Dawne

Sorry I haven't been back for a while --

Oil City has an active arts council which puts on free concerts in the summer and brings in some interesting acts during the winter -- last week they had a group called Nego Gato which did Afro-Brazilian drumming and martial arts. They also do a First Night celebration every year and have a non-profit gallery where local artists can show their work.

On top of that, the city has decided to try to attract artists to the area -- a guy from Alaska has just moved here and is buying a downtown building to serve as a gallery and an espresso shop.
Check out my web page www.joannwheelerfineart.com/artsoilcity (broken link)
for details -- I am an artist and I am working with the arts council to help make it happen -- or www.venangago-go.blogspot.com . Michael Dittman in neighboring Franklin tracks the arts and culture scene for the region there.

My house is on the North Side of the city -- most of the gorgeous Victorians are on the South Side, but I didn't think I could handle one of the big ones! My brother bought one for $50,000 ten years ago, though.

Hope this helps!

Joann

Old 02-16-2007, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,505 times
Interesting to read these comments on Oil City where I grew up and left in the 60s. Going back in Summer is best and enjoying the rails to trails conversions ... 25+ miles along the river and through the woods to bike. It seems that the river properties have increased nicely in some areas. I guess you have low initial home costs and taxes but I would not expect much savings beyond that. I expect I would be on the road a lot if I lived there to get to places for dining out and shows, etc. and spending money on gas.

Big old victorian remodeling...I had seen those opportunities in other locations and they do take commitment and money. Ongoing large costs. Some people do enjoy the space and character to make it worthwhile.

I read a while back that the hospital was one of the largest employers in the area. At one time the town was headquarters for both Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Oil City always had something going in the arts it seemed. Local theater group and now an active arts community. The local paper, The Derrick, is online and a good way to get to know the issues there. Nice photography by the way in the Derrick.

There was a coffee house at the foot of Central on the south side when I was there. Really nice place for locals ... view of street outside and some excellent baking. Library is across the street.

I ended up in the coastal carolinas for retirement. Lots of former PA, OH, NY residents here. Low taxes, utilities, mild winters. Summers can be toooo humid but overall its fine. New single families cost 150k and up. Schools are around US avg. in prospering areas. realtor.com is a good source for listings in US. Check out spoletousa.org sometime to see about Charleston's annual arts festival.

Good luck with looking into relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania