Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 126,081 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm researching a move to smaller-town PA from the Pittsburgh area, and Franklin/Oil City caught my eye.

Oil City has tons of info on these forums, but Franklin, not so much.

Can anybody tell me what Franklin is like? From the pictures, it looks like it has a small, vibrant downtown, with most of the residential areas within a mile of that strip. (Liberty?)

Other things I'd like to know:
- Is there a decent library?
- What's the YMCA like? (The website is "under construction.")
- What are rents like for a 1br?
- Is there decent internet service? (I don't need blazing, but I need better than dial-up if I'm going to work.)

And heck, anything else you can think of. I'm looking at a relocation not too far after September 1, so the more I find out quickly, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 AM

955 posts, read 4,091,065 times
If you do a search for Franklin on this site, you will find something. Be aware though, some threads on Franklin County - a different place entirely, show up in the search. For the most part, any information you see on this site for Oil City also applies to Franklin.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 AM

28 posts, read 126,081 times
I've looked quite a bit. A handful of threads with Franklin in the title, but no real responses. One Oil City photo tour that shows pics of Franklin, but very little info beyond the photos.

Just wondered if there were any locals who could talk about Franklin in a little more detail.

If all else fails, I sent off emails to the Y and the library there, and will post whatever info they send me, in case anyone else is curious.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
Jonathan wrote:
What's Life Like in Franklin?
Get up at 6AM, brush teeth, shave, take a shower, eat breakfast, drive to work, spend 9 hrs at work including a 1hr lunch break, drive home from work, eat dinner, do yardwork or chores around the house, take a shower, fall asleep in front of the TV, get up and go to bed. This process is repeated 5 days a week for about 40 years. After that, the weekdays more closely resemble the weekends, which offer slightly more variety, but only if you complete all of the yardwork and chores during the week. If you don't get the chores and the yardwork handled during the week, weekends are more of the same old same except you're working around the house instead of working on the job!

Life in Franklin is probably very similar to your life where you are currently living. Moving to Franklin is not likely to change it much at all, except you might have a little more snow to shovel.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-15-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

113 posts, read 496,316 times
We are considering retiring there from the central coast of California in a few years. Big change but we have friends and family there and have visited three times. I surf the real estate sites daily. Many good values to be found.

While we will buy a more rural property, we have thoroughly enjoyed Franklin. It has a great old town that is mostly non-existent in CA. Definitely slower pace than here.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
We are considering retiring there from the central coast of California in a few years. Big change but we have friends and family there and have visited three times. I surf the real estate sites daily. Many good values to be found.

While we will buy a more rural property, we have thoroughly enjoyed Franklin. It has a great old town that is mostly non-existent in CA. Definitely slower pace than here.
Although I do not live in Franklin(I live near by in the Sharon/Hermitage area), I can say it is a very nice, quaint town. The Franklin/Oil City areas though may see a boom of business and population in the coming years as big oil is poised to come back to the area it was first discovered. So if you retire to the area, chose a rural area that may not be taken over by sprawl in the coming years, if it happens.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM

34 posts, read 122,206 times
Default Sometimes the Peanuts gang come to the parties Franklin has

On a serious note, Franklin is a nice quiet community. I've passed through there many a times during the 1980s and 1990s. There are many older mansions there built by the Oil Barrons when Oil had its hey day.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Although I do not live in Franklin(I live near by in the Sharon/Hermitage area), I can say it is a very nice, quaint town. The Franklin/Oil City areas though may see a boom of business and population in the coming years as big oil is poised to come back to the area it was first discovered. So if you retire to the area, chose a rural area that may not be taken over by sprawl in the coming years, if it happens.

Point well taken. Rural is what I am looking for. Having moved from La La Land to paradise (Monterey area of CA) I want even MORE elbow room. 100 well placed acres ought to do it

Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
Point well taken. Rural is what I am looking for. Having moved from La La Land to paradise (Monterey area of CA) I want even MORE elbow room. 100 well placed acres ought to do it
You'll definitely find that kind of room in the mountains surrounding the Franklin/Oil City areas.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
You'll definitely find that kind of room in the mountains surrounding the Franklin/Oil City areas.
Mountains? I haven't seen any mountains near Franklin. I've seen some low hills but no mountains.

Well I may have exaggerated a little bit. We currently have a house on an extremely well-placed acre and cannot see our neighbors. None of the other 13 houses in our area have that privacy. I 'spect I'll want 3-10ac. Do not want to spend 24/7 mowing. Did look at 100ac. during our visit last June that had a gas well with free gas and royalties. Hmmm.

Not being a hunter/fisher (actually a bit adverse to hunting) I shy away from properties that say "close to state game lands". Having grown up in SoCal the thought of hearing MORE gunfire does not thrill me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania