Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 102,084 times

Advertisements

I´ll spend 1 month (November) traveling with my family (my wife and 2 year son) and I want to see all nice places in Pennsylvania. I´m from Brazil and I never visited the east coast. Of course we´ll do some shopping in NYC and we have to visit some relatives in Boston, but most of the time I want to spend traveling around in my future "home" state. This is what I´m thinking now, but all help would be great!

1-Newtown/Yardley/Doylestown (here is where I think we´ll move)
2-Philadelphia (off course!)
3-Pittsburgh
3-Scranton area (yes I like The Office a lot!! )
4-Lehigh Valley
5-Erie
6-Harrisburg

Is there any other MUST see places that I should go? We´ll have time and a car to drive around. I just have to be connected (business).

I´ll try to get some snow too.. in the end of November.. anybody here can tell me if I have a chance to get it in Erie?

thanks!! enWalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Snow in Erie is likely anytime after Halloween, but usually doesn't show up in appreciable amounts until after Thanksgiving. Novembers in Erie are generally drab and wet -- kinda like everywhere else -- although a few years ago I was sunning myself on the beach the day after Thanksgiving (and the year after that, my mother was stuck in the airport for two days waiting for a flight out!).

What are you interested in doing/seeing on your whirlwind tour?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon and Gettysburg

Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
Doyestown is nice..here are some sights around the area...peddlers village
a must..
Welcome to Peddler's Village
New Hope Winery - Home
Bucks County Playhouse
New Hope, PA

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I really do recommend that you visit Scranton before Erie and then drive between the two cities along U.S. Route 6. This mostly two-lane roadway is an absolutely gorgeous drive through a lot of quaint small towns in the state's Northern Tier. You'll pass by a lot of small town festivals, churches, town parks, children playing, etc. in picture-perfect small towns like Towanda, Wellsboro, Tunkhannock, and Wyalusing. The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon lies just west of Wellsboro along U.S. Route 6.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
The Allegheny mountains! The leaves will be gone, but you'll get an idea of their grandeur.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Doylestown is my favorite town in PA. You will love that town.

You might like to visit Hershey PA. During November they have the park open in the evening. Real reindeer, Santa, lights in the sky.........little shops........It looks like a old village. The lights and the village are charming, and the kids love its festiveness.
During the day you can tour the candy factory, take a tour of how the candy is made. Very interesting. A perfect time for visiting the park. There is even a drive thru lighted Christmas extravaganza, awesome!

In November they have a big craft show in Allentown. Criskindlemart........

New York in the winter is just beautiful. Make sure to see the decorated store windows. The famous tree, and Bryant Park, with its ice skating and little glass shops.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Doylestown is my favorite town in PA. You will love that town.

You might like to visit Hershey PA. During November they have the park open in the evening. Real reindeer, Santa, lights in the sky.........little shops........It looks like a old village. The lights and the village are charming, and the kids love its festiveness.
During the day you can tour the candy factory, take a tour of how the candy is made. Very interesting. A perfect time for visiting the park. There is even a drive thru lighted Christmas extravaganza, awesome!

In November they have a big craft show in Allentown. Criskindlemart........

New York in the winter is just beautiful. Make sure to see the decorated store windows. The famous tree, and Bryant Park, with its ice skating and little glass shops.
Almost purchased there...but glad I'm in clarks summit

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Almost purchased there...but glad I'm in clarks summit
Agreed. Wise choice indeed. If you had moved to Doylestown, then you never would have met annoying people like me! P.S. I owe you a DM.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Well, I'd suggest traveling US Rte. 30 - Historic Lincoln Highway - from Philly to Pittsburgh. It goes the entire length of the state and along the way you'll pass through many interesting places including:

York
Lancaster
Gettysburg
Chambersburg
Breezewood
Bedford <== Old Bedford Village; Bedford Springs Hotel
Flight 93 National Memorial
Ligonier <== Fort Ligonier; Antiques
Latrobe
Greensburg

And you'll pass right along and over the Alleghenies. You also won't be far off from other places of interest such as:

Bedford County <== covered bridges/Blue Knob skiing/Gravity Hill (you're facing down-hill, but roll uphill )
Somerset County <==Seven Springs & Hidden Valley ski resorts
Johnstown <== Steel history, flood history, immigrant history

I think it'd be a great way to see alot of the state and the variety of it's citizens and what it has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania