Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:24 PM

395 posts, read 523,230 times

Advertisements

Im from Virginia- and I really dont mind PA at all! They are very friendly in Southern PA. Not so friendly in Philly which ironically is called the city of "Brotherly Love", lol. The only t hing I dont like about PA is you cant get sweet tea anywhere.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
But........afdude, you can go into the local pizza place for a six pack anyday...Stock up so you don't run out....
I like nice hot summers. Thats what summer is for. I'd hate the pool just to sit around.........and the boat is much better when you can jump off into the 80 degree water.
We have to many curves, and twists in our roads to permit high speeds. All the wonderful country roads.
The turnpike is expensive, but gosh it is a beautiful drive.
I have nothing bad to say about PA but........I keep trying to come up with something. ???

Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM

259 posts, read 850,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
But........afdude, you can go into the local pizza place for a six pack anyday...Stock up so you don't run out....
I like nice hot summers. Thats what summer is for. I'd hate the pool just to sit around.........and the boat is much better when you can jump off into the 80 degree water.
We have to many curves, and twists in our roads to permit high speeds. All the wonderful country roads.
The turnpike is expensive, but gosh it is a beautiful drive.
I have nothing bad to say about PA but........I keep trying to come up with something. ???
Don't get me wrong I LOVE PA. Those are just the gripes I could come up with. Too bad I don't like beer(except for Yuengling of course), I'm a liqour guy...oh yeh! I love the scenery of the Turnpike, but not the toll. It's only 75 on the interstates, but 65 thru Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Me and humidity just don't mix anymore unless I can float around in a Lake or the Ocean.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM

160 posts, read 638,729 times
I don't 'hate' these things exactly, but find them a turn off:

Low literacy rate + cultural wasteland (Central PA)
The Amish
Xenophobia (central PA)
Heavy and/or bland food and what it does to the people who eat it (they grow 'em BIG in central PA)
Kinder, Küche, Kirche or Stepford Wives w/a dash of PA Dutch stolidness
Really, really bad customer service from many local businesses/professionals/service people (Harrisburg area)
Too much 'southron' influence - PA is a NORTHeastern state, people
Penn State cronyism
Penn State football traffic
Racism
Sexism
Jingo Bells Patriotism
Stupid teevee meteorologists who rhapsodize about endless sunshine during droughts (see Penn State above)
Obsession with the Civil War + Indifference to history of War for Independence (central PA)
Religious funnymentalism (and those whacko roadside signs and crosses infesting the beautiful countryside)
Chromophobia (the choices are blue, white and brown?)
Longaberger and Boyds
Local uniform of white sweatshirt, bursting to capacity plus-sized jeans, and sneakers (central PA)
QVC
The COUNTRY LIVING - Penn State axis of bad design

and a lot of stuff mentioned by other posters

Old 09-21-2008, 05:20 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post

The Amish
Xenophobia (central PA)
Heavy and/or bland food and what it does to the people who eat it (they grow 'em BIG in central PA)
Kinder, Küche, Kirche or Stepford Wives w/a dash of PA Dutch stolidness
Really, really bad customer service from many local businesses/professionals/service people (Harrisburg area)Too much 'southron' influence - PA is a NORTHeastern state, people
Penn State cronyism
Penn State football traffic
Racism
Sexism
Jingo Bells Patriotism
Stupid teevee meteorologists who rhapsodize about endless sunshine during droughts (see Penn State above)
Obsession with the Civil War + Indifference to history of War for Independence (central PA)Religious funnymentalism (and those whacko roadside signs and crosses infesting the beautiful countryside)
Chromophobia (the choices are blue, white and brown?)
Longaberger and Boyds
Local uniform of white sweatshirt, bursting to capacity plus-sized jeans, and sneakers (central PA)
QVC
The COUNTRY LIVING - Penn State axis of bad design

and a lot of stuff mentioned by other posters
Yup, all of those I can definitely notice. Harrisburg business owners are particularly fat, middle aged, gray haired, uptight, nasty miserable people. Where do they get off acting that way? Those Uhaul people in Harrisburg were unbelievably rude when I moved.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
HUMIDITY! I wouldn't say the summer's are hot it's just so damn humid. I'm way too used to the dry heat of the plains. It is way hotter on the plains.

65mph speed limit. It's 75 out in SD....love it!

Not being able to buy alcohol in Walmart or the corner gas station.
There was some debate as to whether it's hotter than the plains,but from what I saw all summer- the northeast was pretty much only the 2nd or 3rd hottest place in the country just behind the desert southwest and sometimes Florida!

You can catch a 75mp speed limit as close to here as WV.

Can you buy alcohol out west in supermarkets? So far I've only seen that down south. I know in nearby NJ they have mega liquor stores that are open Sundays but that's about it for now here.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Im from Virginia- and I really dont mind PA at all! They are very friendly in Southern PA. Not so friendly in Philly which ironically is called the city of "Brotherly Love", lol. The only t hing I dont like about PA is you cant get sweet tea anywhere.
No but you can get soda everywhere,which is pretty much the staple here. Probably explains partly why everyone is so wired all the time,drive like NASCAR,and are missing so many teeth

You hit the Philly thing on the head,city of 'brotherly' love actually refers to the guys in all the unions here helping each other out. Also refers to family only,no outsiders allowed

Looks like you're from Richmond,which makes it easier for you to deal with the city here

Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:

Now, I'm not from Central PA, nor do I ever care to live there, but why would you say that it is a cultural wasteland? Because you don't like the culture?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Really, really bad customer service from many local businesses/professionals/service people (Harrisburg area)
Too much 'southron' influence - PA is a NORTHeastern state, people
You've got something there with the bad customer service,which actually spills over into south Jersey also!

Southern influence? I wish! Of course there might be some of that considering part of the civil war was faught at Gettysburg and also borders WV(which is not always considered the south but it's close enough),and the Appalachian mountains that run through it.

Lol at the uniform...being it's mostly a blue collar state you're probably going to see alot of the construction worker look

Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Harrisburg business owners are particularly fat, middle aged, gray haired, uptight, nasty miserable people. Where do they get off acting that way? Those Uhaul people in Harrisburg were unbelievably rude when I moved.
Well it is the capital city so you've got to give em slack for that I suppose

I've only cruised through Harrisburg on I-81 on my trips to VA so I didn't notice much there. But I did live in the Allentown area for awhile and I don't think I recall them being as nasty as Philly or H'burg. There did seem to be alot of bitter old men in Bethlehem though,I think they were screwed up when the steel closed. I always refer back to that Billy Joel song Allentown for a bit of the history of the way things were in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania