Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times

Advertisements

Bought a house in Oxford in 1993. I thought it was bad then but after sixteen years it got worse. Yeah the drugies hang out on fourth street right accross from the police station. As far as schools they are terrible. My boys were attacked walking home from school...I have since moved on and am enjoying Florida. Yes, Oxford is O-town,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,949 times
Does anyone know any info about the Johnston Gang or where Bruce Jr. is living these days?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliscolwell View Post
Does anyone know any info about the Johnston Gang or where Bruce Jr. is living these days?
Try this forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appolinias25 View Post
It all depends on what you are looking for. I think Oxford is a great town. Its the kind of place to move if you have lived in the city your whole life, you were once broke, struggling and surrounded by crap and you now want the opposite. If you are tired of the city life, then its a great town. Oxford is a quiet place and the people I have met are all very nice. I can see growing up here and wanting to get out- sure that makes sense, but if you are sick of the city life and tired of hearing police sirens every 5 minutes then hey this place may be for you. Delco taxes are not THAT much lower (depending on what you buy) for obvious reasons (because that place is turning into a bung-hole of a place to live) Try living in Darby, PA your whole life and then talk to me about drugs and crime. Pagans? Give me a friggin break people. You obviously have no clue what real crime is and all of you must have lived in friggin Beverly Hills before moving to Oxford. Try living in the city and then give me a crime assessment on Oxford. To the original poster-I would suggest that you check out any town you are interested in prior to buying. You determine your own happiness in life. Don't let people who are miserable for a number of reasons that are probably out of their own control persuade you in anyway. Good luck!
Yeah, I doubt Oxford has shootings or anything like some of the more ghetto parts of Delco do. That's pretty much the way I see Chester County (minus Coatesville and West Chester to name two) and the further out parts of Delco, as a break from the realities of the much more urban parts of Delco and Philadelphia.

Also, people really can't be too surprised by the fact that Chester County is being built out so much given that it's so close to Philadelphia and Delaware and Baltimore. The only reason it didn't happen sooner is because the metro shrunk and contracted for decades.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
The only reason it didn't happen sooner is because the metro shrunk and contracted for decades.
Are you confusing the city with the metro?

Metro Philadelphia has grown every census since records have been kept. Chester County alone grew at 15% last decade.

Alot of Chester Countys growth is due to the profesional middle/upper middle class moving from Delaware County and New Castle County.

Oxfords growth is based largely on the mushroom industry which brings in alot of migrant workers.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Are you confusing the city with the metro?

Metro Philadelphia has grown every census since records have been kept. Chester County alone grew at 15% last decade.

Alot of Chester Countys growth is due to the profesional middle/upper middle class moving from Delaware County and New Castle County.

Oxfords growth is based largely on the mushroom industry which brings in alot of migrant workers.
No, I'm not. Philadelphia wasn't the only place that shrunk. Every major working class municipality and every city in the metro shrunk when its industry went away.

If that wasn't the case and Philadelphia had continued to grow, along with cities like Chester and Wilmington and Camden and other major municipalities in the metro, Chester County would've been being built out long before now and the whole metro would be connected by now.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
[quote=rainrock;23115307]
Oxfords growth is based largely on the mushroom industry which brings in alot of migrant workers.[/quote]

That may have been true in the past, but recent growth is suburban sprawl (aka new housing developments) that has now reached the Oxford area.

http://www.homefinder.com/PA/Oxford/new-construction/

Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not. Philadelphia wasn't the only place that shrunk. Every major working class municipality and every city in the metro shrunk when its industry went away.

If that wasn't the case and Philadelphia had continued to grow, along with cities like Chester and Wilmington and Camden and other major municipalities in the metro, Chester County would've been being built out long before now and the whole metro would be connected by now.
The statistical data is irrefutable. The Philadelphia metro area has grown in population every census period, ever taken. Its never ever "shrunk or contracted". Philadelphia's,Chester's population may have shrunk but it was more than offset by the growth in the suburbs.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

If that wasn't the case and Philadelphia had continued to grow, along with cities like Chester and Wilmington and Camden and other major municipalities in the metro, Chester County would've been being built out long before now and the whole metro would be connected.
You cant rewrite history. The facts are that Philadelphia,Wilmington,Chester fell on hard times while the surrounding areas prospered and grew.Those are facts. If Philadelphia,Wilmington,Chester etc had remained economic powerhouses then the growth in the surrounding areas would have been stunted greatly.

If the gene pool from the people who built Philadelphia and Wilmington stayed exclusively in the cities, there would have been no Exton,King of Prussia,Oaks,Warrington. The offspring scattered and developed those suburbs.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Just an FYI, good info on Oxford, but this thread was started in 2007 and bumped occasionally for totally random reasons. The original poster hasn't posted on city-data since 2009.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania