Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
After living in DC, you'll die in Erie. I know you think you hate it there now, when you leave, you'll be suprised at what you miss .
In not so many words, that's how I feel too. I have lots of great memories living as a single guy in the City of Erie and I miss them a lot from time to time, but it could never be the same there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM

194 posts, read 281,185 times
Thanks for all the great information so far! I am from a small town and I miss the small town life now. I don't think I would be to bored in Erie. I really don't like the night life in the DC area its way too expensive and all their really is to do is go to bars and restraunts. The restaurants are mostly chains in Arlington where I live and they are not very good. You don't see to many Mom and Pop like you do up north. Also I'm really bored here because its such a huge ordeal to go anywhere with traffic and parking (Unless you take the metro) and I have to walk half a mile to get on the metro.

I am a straight white male so the tolerance level doesn't really affect me but to be honest I seen a lot more bigotry here in Northern Virginia then I did in Pa or New Hampshire. The intolerance and racism is just more hidden in NoVa. Would I be able to afford a house up their on a 45,000-50,000 salary?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
Would I be able to afford a house up their on a 45,000-50,000 salary?
Absolutely. The housing market is slowly catching up to the rest of the world, but homes are still very affordable.

Check any of the local realty office websites. There are plenty of decent houses in just about any area of Erie County to be had at less than $100,000.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 02-05-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
Thanks for all the great information so far! I am from a small town and I miss the small town life now. I don't think I would be to bored in Erie. I really don't like the night life in the DC area its way too expensive and all their really is to do is go to bars and restraunts. The restaurants are mostly chains in Arlington where I live and they are not very good. You don't see to many Mom and Pop like you do up north. Also I'm really bored here because its such a huge ordeal to go anywhere with traffic and parking (Unless you take the metro) and I have to walk half a mile to get on the metro.

I am a straight white male so the tolerance level doesn't really affect me but to be honest I seen a lot more bigotry here in Northern Virginia then I did in Pa or New Hampshire. The intolerance and racism is just more hidden in NoVa. Would I be able to afford a house up their on a 45,000-50,000 salary?
Ya, but you'll probably end up buying in Millcreek. Go to Pittsburgh or Cleveland instead. I'm telling you, BOREDOM is going to kill you in Erie! 1/2 mile to metro? So? lol You sound kinda lazy

Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
1/2 mile to metro? So? lol You sound kinda lazy
Laziness has nothing to do with it if the 1/2 mile between your house and the subway stop is unsafe. I don't know if that's the case here -- you probably don't either, but that didn't stop you from making assumptions -- but it's one possibility.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Laziness has nothing to do with it if the 1/2 mile between your house and the subway stop is unsafe. I don't know if that's the case here -- you probably don't either, but that didn't stop you from making assumptions -- but it's one possibility.
I bet my assumption is closer to the truth than yours.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM

71 posts, read 302,660 times
I wouldnt listen to pittsburgh steeler fans...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Do a search on goerie.com, and you will see for yourself.

There is a large and growing population of immigrants settling in Erie, but as I said, people have a serious backwoods attitude towards these folks. You hear a lot of the "speak English" type attitude.

When I was growing up, the old saying was that Erie was "ten years behind" the rest of the country, and it's really the truth.
Its much better than Pittsburgh. Now there is a place that is ten years behind the rest of the country.

Honestly, Erie is a nice small city.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,686 times
Quote:
My man, BORED is what you'll be in Erie. Especially with that type of income there. There won't be alot of people your age with that type of money in Erie. I suggest you go to Pittsburgh instead. Just cause you grew up in a small town, doesn't mean you haven't outgrown the small town life. You will regret moving to Erie if you do, believe me, you will. After living in DC, you'll die in Erie. I know you think you hate it there now, when you leave, you'll be suprised at what you miss (including all the pretty women).
no, don't go to ****tsburgh. erie is MUCH better.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoG711 View Post
I wouldnt listen to pittsburgh steeler fans...

Hilarious!
OK, now I've got to dry the Diet Coke off my monitor.

Quote:
I bet my assumption is closer to the truth than yours.
But I didn't assume anything ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania