Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 76,695 times

Advertisements

I've read comments on other threads about towns being snobby, cold to outsiders and new people, and the kids being materialistic and focused on designer things, spoiled, etc. I realize that some of this can exist anywhere, but does anyone have any comments on how rampant this may be in State College? We're hoping to move to State College and would like to be around friendly folks, families of average means, not snobby, kids who are nice, and a community that is welcoming to new transplants. We're tired of where we are which is filled with snotty, wealthy kids who are lazy and given everything they want, who look down on fellow students if they don't wear designer clothes or even consider wearing hand me downs, have never even heard of sharing anything with a sibling (like a room, for example), and fellow parents who look down on you if you use coupons or are on a budget.

We'd like a small, (population of less than 100k) friendly, down to earth community that values education, safety, and a quiet, nice quality of life. My kids are concerned about moving to an area that might be even wealthier and snobbier than where we are! Any helpful input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 AM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulpamom View Post
I've read comments on other threads about towns being snobby, cold to outsiders and new people, and the kids being materialistic and focused on designer things, spoiled, etc. I realize that some of this can exist anywhere, but does anyone have any comments on how rampant this may be in State College? We're hoping to move to State College and would like to be around friendly folks, families of average means, not snobby, kids who are nice, and a community that is welcoming to new transplants. We're tired of where we are which is filled with snotty, wealthy kids who are lazy and given everything they want, who look down on fellow students if they don't wear designer clothes or even consider wearing hand me downs, have never even heard of sharing anything with a sibling (like a room, for example), and fellow parents who look down on you if you use coupons or are on a budget.

We'd like a small, (population of less than 100k) friendly, down to earth community that values education, safety, and a quiet, nice quality of life. My kids are concerned about moving to an area that might be even wealthier and snobbier than where we are! Any helpful input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are plenty of areas like that in PA, but I don't know if State College is right for you. Personally, I wouldn't consider State College as being any more snobby than other towns in PA, but that's all personal opinion. The town revolves around students. They come first. If you don't love the feeling of a college town and the vibe that it brings, then it wouldn't be the right place for you. State College sd is a great school district, so keep that in mind.

What are some other towns that you are looking into? I would suggest Altoona and Indiana. Johnstown is a dump. Typically, western PA is going to be far more down to earth than eastern pa. I would put Harrisburg and State College in a similar position with Eastern PA. Very similar to the Lehigh Valley vibe. Williamsport is northeast of State College and is an amazing town. I really like it there a lot. Very rural though. Lebanon is also a nice rural town. Also, you might want to look at York and Lancaster. So, there are places out there that fit what you want, but college towns typically are havens for rich snobs and kids usually look up to the college students and want to do whatever they're doing.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Matt, I agree with you about Williamsport, but I had to chuckle because Williamsport has TWO colleges - Lycoming and Penn. However, it's large enough and has enough other stuff going on there that the colleges don't overwhelm everything else like they do in State College (and probably all the other state university towns, such as Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Slippery Rock, etc.).

Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM

189 posts, read 705,009 times
I am sorry, but I am a bit confused with this forum. First of all, State College is a great town to live in. It has many cultural and recreational attractions, great schools, and many family friendly neighborhoods. State College is not all just about the students, and has been an increasingly popular place for families and retirees. I would not classify the people as snobby, they are very down to earth, in my opinion. I vist the area reguarly. I don't know another town like it in PA. I hear Williamsport has some beautiful architecture, but it has an extremely high crime rate over the national average.(Williamsport is 326.8, and SC has one of 103.2; the national average is 320.9) And you say that it is "large enough...that the colleges dont overwhelm everthing." Williamsport has a pop. of 29,537, and SC a pop. of 39,893, which makes SC a larger town. Altoona is nice, but not really in the central areas. All I know is, families who move to State College really love it. It is easy to make friends with other young families and people are friendly. College towns are great to live in because you know that the education is great, plus there is good diversity. You willl also enjoy going to sporting events, concerts, museums, and festivals with your familyThe best advice I can think of is to vist the town and maybe drive through the neighborhoods to see what it is like!

It's a fact, young families are moving to State College and loving it:State College - Alumni Moving Home to Happy Valley - Penn State and Happy Valley are Online at HappyValley.com (http://www.happyvalley.com/posts.php?id=1966 - broken link)
http://www.happyvalley.com/posts.php?id=1539 (broken link)

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM

73 posts, read 343,181 times
I would have to agree with everything Lion11 said. In my previous job, I worked with families with children with special needs in SC a few days a week, many of whom moved there because of the quality of education for their children. Without exception, they all loved the area for its many educational, cultural and recreational opportunities. The geography of the area is spectacularly scenic and there is a wealth of year round outdoor activities available not only in SC but in many of the surrounding smaller towns. If I didn't need to be near family, I'd move there in a minute.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I think college centered towns tend to be used to folks moving into the area and are thus more open or accessible to outsiders.

My wife wants to move up there, some of her relatives have and it's closer to her other family (plus she's a Penn State grad). Other than PSU and maybe certain fields at spinoffs, the job situation is probably better in the Harrisburg area (so I've been told by folks who sadly moved here from there).

Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
I never thought State College was snobby. In fact we are hoping to go up there for a weekend getaway. Granted the area revolves around the university but there are many other things to do. I have always foung the people to be down to earth and welcoming. I also agree about the scenery. Very beautiful.

Like any college town, it's going to be rowdy and you will find a few that may feel they are better than others. However that's almost anywhere. Additionally,with the economy the way it is today, I would find few people of any income who would look down at you for using coupons. You would be surprised how many "rich folks" visit 2nd hand stores and clip coupons.

So no, I never picutred SC as "uppity". If anything, Camp Hill, Hershey and The Main line are very uppity, but that's just my own opinion. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Our DD will be a freshman at PSU this fall. During our frequent visits to the town during the past 9 months, we have continually been impressed with the friendliness of the people, both on campus and in the town. Even during the busy time of year when the campus population was in full swing, the people we spoke with in town were so nice.

We were just there a few days ago, and my husband remarked how great it would be to live there. We do know people (PSU alumni) who have a second home there and plan on retiring to the town. It is a beautiful place.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 16,113 times
I have lived in State College for eight years, and would not consider it a snobby town at all. It is a great place to raise a family, with a lot of extracurricular activities, proximity to several large cities (DC, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC), surrounding rural areas, etc. The public school system in State College is excellent. and has very good services for special needs students at both ends of the spectrum. Within the district, there are many elementary schools, which vary in terms of socioeconomic and cultural diversity. My children go to school with children who are wealthy, children who live in one of the most run down trailer parks I have seen, and children of all means in between. Our neighbors include families who have lived in central Pennsylvania for generations, as well as newly moved international families. My children have friends from all of these backgrounds. There are terrific summer camp experiences at Penn State, including camps for art, science, music and sports. What I would say is that the community highly values education and a lifelong love of learning.

Another nice thing about State College is that it really is quite welcoming of new transplants to the area, perhaps because much of our population is in flux, with coming and going students, faculty, professionals and others. It really is a friendly and warm place to live, and sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

The only thing I might mention is that housing costs within the State College district tend to be much more expensive than neighboring districts.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 76,695 times
Thanks very much for all of the great responses, everyone. Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania