Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,844 times

Advertisements

Hey, it's ok! I am here too LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 PM

93 posts, read 315,574 times
I would suggest any small town in Centre County. In Penns Valley there is Centre Hall/Old Fort, Spring Mills, Rebersburg, and Aaronsburg. In Bald Eagle there is Milesburg, Snow Shoe, and Howard. In the Bellefonte region, there are many small towns such as Pleasant Gap, Zion, and Nittany. Bellefonte itself has a pop. around 6,000. There is also Philpsburg. In the State College area there is Port Matilda, Pine Grove Mills, Lemont, Boalsburg, Linden Hall and Oak Hall. All of these towns are close to food stores and even a mall! Most of them have a pop. around 1,000. You are also close to jobs and activities in State College without a big city feel.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLion View Post
I would suggest any small town in Centre County. In Penns Valley there is Centre Hall/Old Fort, Spring Mills, Rebersburg, and Aaronsburg. In Bald Eagle there is Milesburg, Snow Shoe, and Howard. In the Bellefonte region, there are many small towns such as Pleasant Gap, Zion, and Nittany. Bellefonte itself has a pop. around 6,000. There is also Philpsburg. In the State College area there is Port Matilda, Pine Grove Mills, Lemont, Boalsburg, Linden Hall and Oak Hall. All of these towns are close to food stores and even a mall! Most of them have a pop. around 1,000. You are also close to jobs and activities in State College without a big city feel.
I'll agree that Centre County truly seemed like an AWESOME place when I was there to visit some friends on the PSU campus last month. I just loved everything about Happy Valley. Unfortunately, one downside I read about in an independent community newspaper was a major housing affordability crisis in the county. The article focused on how many of those employed in State College could not afford to purchase a home there; some made very lengthy commutes from as far away as Lock Haven or Lewistown just so they could afford their own homes.

State College had a "big small town" type of feel to it, and I fell in love with the downtown. I wanted so badly to see Bellefonte because I heard it's a historic community, but it wasn't in the cards for that visit. (Perhaps a future return trip for a photo tour may be in the works though! Stay tuned! )

I'll agree that aside from the overinflated housing prices, Centre County is a very nice area.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 315,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'll agree that Centre County truly seemed like an AWESOME place when I was there to visit some friends on the PSU campus last month. I just loved everything about Happy Valley. Unfortunately, one downside I read about in an independent community newspaper was a major housing affordability crisis in the county. The article focused on how many of those employed in State College could not afford to purchase a home there; some made very lengthy commutes from as far away as Lock Haven or Lewistown just so they could afford their own homes.

State College had a "big small town" type of feel to it, and I fell in love with the downtown. I wanted so badly to see Bellefonte because I heard it's a historic community, but it wasn't in the cards for that visit. (Perhaps a future return trip for a photo tour may be in the works though! Stay tuned! )

I'll agree that aside from the overinflated housing prices, Centre County is a very nice area.
It's really just State College that has high home prices. The surronding small towns cost a lot less.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM

49 posts, read 217,867 times
Yay, I found my posting. I fogot to ask for e mail notification, so I didn't know where the darn posting was....

People make fun of Jersey all the time, but I live in a safe neighborhood and the spray paint and mice are what I am looking to avoid....

So are the neighborhoods mentioned....safe?

highly recommend the "boroughs" in central PA of Selinsgrove, Lewisburg, Mifflinburg. A bit more north are Montoursville, Muncy and Hughesville. A bit more east are Danville and Bloomsburg.

Most of these communities have less then 6,000 residents. Selinsgrove, Lewisburg and Bloomsburg have universities for cultural activities. The other places are near universities.

Further west of us are State College (a larger college community), Bellefonte, Altoona, and Lewistown, to name a few.

Most of not all of these communities are safe, quiet places to raise families, find jobs and enjoy a wonderful quality of life.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Catie, I think the places I mentioned (that you noted above) are safe. You do have some college-type crime (mostly parties at night and rowdiness) but as far as violent crime it's very low. Most of the really bad things involve people who are known to each other and not random acts of violence. Of course, there are some drugs around but that's been the case since as long as anyone can remember. It's easy to stay away from it and I've never personally encountered anyone trying to sell me anything illegal.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 35,732 times
My husband and I are PSU grads and would move back to State College in a HEARTBEAT. We haven't been up there in a while, but I think anywhere in Centre County would work for you. And since you don't NEED to be close in to campus, the housing prices further out should be a lot more manageable.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,616 times
Default How do I post a New Thread?

Help ...how do I post a new thread? I can reply but can't figure out how to start a new one?

Anyone have any information on Fawn Lake Forest in Hawley PA? Any information on the Lake Wallenpaupack HS also???

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heading North View Post
Help ...how do I post a new thread? I can reply but can't figure out how to start a new one?
Go back to the main page and look for the "New Thread" button.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM

49 posts, read 217,867 times
Default Thank You

Thank you for your suggestions. I will research these towns. I sincerely apppreciate everyone's help and insight.

Thanks again!

Catie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania