Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,035 times

Advertisements

I am going to drive from slippery rock pa to hampton virginia, I dont really want to go the pa turnpike and thru the beltway, I would like to go down rt 79 maybe into morgantown and then over to hampton, I want to avoid all the tricky traffic turns that are related to the beltway. I hate toll roads and trucks and dont like being confined to one road with no way off in event of an accident.
I live right by rt 79, and would rather take a more scenic, yet not much longer drive to there.
any advice or hints? and as for construction, the turnpike is always a mess too. thanks to anyone!
brtammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
I would take 79 South to route 76 south or east just north of Pittsburgh (yeah, I know it's the turnpike, but best way around P'brgh), then hop on route 81 South. Beautiful drive through Western Virginia. In Staunton get on route 64 east. 64 will be bad in places but it's the best way through the mountains.

81 has quite a few trucks but since it's in the valley going through SW virginia it's a faster ride then 79, and again, really pretty.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
o.k, this rt 64, what is bad about it? the speed limit, or road conditions? will this add a lot more drive time? gotta watch the gas too, going the way the mapquest site tells me its about 8 hours, I hope to not go beyond that much. Is this 64 anything like rt 19 with myriads of traffic lights?
just wondering. thanks
ebtammy

Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
Our son goes to school in SW Virginia so I am familiar with route 81 and we lived down that way many years ago. We have a friend near Staunton, VA who commutes on route 64 everyday, west to east starting near Staunton and he said that it's not a fun commute because parts of it are very steep hills and all it takes are two trucks going side by side going up hill to slow everyone down. As you can see by looking at the map, Route 64 is the main artery from 81 to the east part of the state and it's going over the Blue Ridge mountains. The combination of mountains and trucks..... 81 has both but it's more valley with the mountains on either side. I would still choose that over the congestion and crazy drivers on I-95 over on the East side. If you are a member of AAA you can get free maps and they will even do a trip ticket for you (like a route planner) that will point out construction.

Also, you can do a google search with the words, " I-64, Virginia construction" and see what turns up. I always take a map with me so that if there is an accident or construction I can find an alternate route. one more tip, gas is cheaper the further you get into Virginia. Safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania