Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 60,442 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some information about Stonecroft Village, a retirement community near Womelsdorf? Also, what is the area like? We are considering retiring there from Reno, NV to be nearer our daughter. I've read some information about the area and it seems nice and safe. My daughter will be going to school at Lehigh, but the retirement communities around there are more than we can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

7 posts, read 24,870 times
I hope you do gets answers to your question, I am curious too. I can tell you that my husband was in Womelsdorf last week and really liked it, we have family in the York area. He said it is a really small town but everything you would need was within a reasonable driving distance. He did see Stonecroft Village but said he did not see a real estate office in the town as he was going to stop and try and get info on the taxes in Berks County compared to the surrounding counties. Berks seems much higher. Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
Default Stonecroft Village

I can't tell you how I got this information, as I have been reprimanded for it, so I will let you figure it out.

There are no active listings at present.

There are association fees at Stonecroft Village, $85.00 per month.

A withdrawn listing, a 3 bed 2 bath home, 2 car garage on a .23 acre lot
had taxes of $7107.

Another withdrawn listing, a 2 bed 2 bath w/2 car garage on .25 acres taxed at $5994.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:39 PM

To dcris,
I was a little concerned about the taxes. They are twice as high as in Reno. We knew they were going to be higher, though, so the question is how much are we willing to pay to be in a 55+ community of ready-made activities and possible friends. We looked into 55+ communities closer to where our daughter will be in graduate school at Lehigh and they seemed too expensive, plus the taxes were higher.
Are the houses in Stonecroft not selling because of the taxes? Or, can you think of other reasons? Does it seem like the area is building up and might give us a small profit on a house if we move in a few years?
I suppose we can look in the Bethlehem area for a rental or a house not in a 55+ community. We just thought it might be easier to go into a ready-made community as opposed to trying to decide on a town and then a house.
Thanks for you information.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:47 PM

kobbie,
Type in ownalandmark and that will get you to the builders site, then look at 55+ communities. Their phone number is 717-278-8968. They seem very nice. The builders are Mennonite, which is usually a good sign.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 24,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarnedGirl View Post
kobbie,
Type in ownalandmark and that will get you to the builders site, then look at 55+ communities. Their phone number is 717-278-8968. They seem very nice. The builders are Mennonite, which is usually a good sign.
Thanks for the web site info. Now my mission is to investigate the tax situation. Just from looking on the web at the different boroughs, it seems to be different for each one of them...thanks again!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarnedGirl View Post
To dcris,
I was a little concerned about the taxes. They are twice as high as in Reno. We knew they were going to be higher, though, so the question is how much are we willing to pay to be in a 55+ community of ready-made activities and possible friends. We looked into 55+ communities closer to where our daughter will be in graduate school at Lehigh and they seemed too expensive, plus the taxes were higher.
Are the houses in Stonecroft not selling because of the taxes? Or, can you think of other reasons? Does it seem like the area is building up and might give us a small profit on a house if we move in a few years?
I suppose we can look in the Bethlehem area for a rental or a house not in a 55+ community. We just thought it might be easier to go into a ready-made community as opposed to trying to decide on a town and then a house.
Thanks for you information.
I wish I had further information for you regarding the taxes of the area, but being new at the job and fairly new to the area, I couldn't even venture a semi-educated guess. Next time I am at the office I will try to remember to ask someone about that. I know that being new/er homes plays into it.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobbie View Post
Thanks for the web site info. Now my mission is to investigate the tax situation. Just from looking on the web at the different boroughs, it seems to be different for each one of them...thanks again!
The taxes DO fluctuate greatly in Berks from what research I have done.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,568 times
Wink Was at Stonecroft on Thursday

My husband and I went to visit Stonecroft, Briar Lakes and another 55+ community on Thursday. Really liked Stonecroft best. Seems like a nice community with good surrounding area. We're nyc people who love Lancaster area. Hoping to relocate eventually to area near Lancaster but want to purchase as vacation home in the iterim. Realtor Jean (who also lives in community) spent well over an hour with us taking us around and answering our many questions. One thing this place has is fewer restrictions than other places. Loved that you can fence your yard and even put in an inground pool if you desire. Clubhouse was very nice and it seems to be an active community with lots to do. Traveling fron nyc was more than 3 hours but next time will try another way of driving in hopes it will be shorter drive. They're only in Phase 2 of a 4 Phase building plan so it will be a large community when done. Surrounded by a farm that seems to be one that will stay within the family and they have an agreement that Landmark will buy farm should it ever go up for sale. Taxes at Stonecroft higher than Briar Lake because of town its in.

On another note -- we saw Briar Lake after Stonecroft. Real estate agent turned me off right away when she mentioned something about "people who know this will be their last house before they die". Was glad I wasn't that thrilled with that community as I would never have bought from her after that crass comment.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 AM

18 posts, read 74,382 times
I have recently assisted clients of mine purchase in Stonecroft for their retirement, relocating from Ohio. They purchased and moved into their new home in June, and so far love it there. The statement that someone made about "being the last house before they die" truly is crass and very poor judgement. This is an Active Adult 55+ community, not a nursing home situation by any means. These are adults who still work, are active in their communities and enjoy each others company.

I have become very familiar with the development since I have helped these clients of mine. The reason there are no lots for sale is because they sell out before they can even finish the next phase! Yes, my clients had to wait several months in order for the next phase to be open, and they came from Ohio the day before to be sure that we were first in line when they opened the office at 10am last October. From their deposit on the lot in October, the home was completed in May - and it was one of the first ones in that phase to be completed. It is a very popular development and area, because it is convenient to everything, yet is in a beautiful area.

The taxes - yes, they are assessed high for Berks County. But, most homeowners in Stonecroft, once they get their assessment notice do have the right to appeal the tax assessment and bring the taxes down, successfully. You only get one chance to do this, so you need to be sure that you don't miss your appointment once you make one. The development understands this and knows how to try to help you keep the assessment lower when you are choosing your upgrades, etc.

If anyone would like more information on Stonecroft, or any of the other Active Adult communities in the area (there are several in Lancaster County as well), feel free to contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania