Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,405 times

Advertisements

I remember Ziggy. I also remember the lady with the lipstick . I had moved from Sunbury 27 years ago and the thing I miss the most is The Sunbury Sub shop and the squeeze inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,405 times
It's sad that the best that can be said of Sunbury is what it was. I grew up here, lived in a metropolitan area for 20-some years and then moved back about ten years ago. It's so different now. The influx over the past years of a less than desirable element (it encompasses all races, so please don't read anything into the comment), the building of the mall across the river that drew everyone away from town stores, the closing of so many businesses that employed so many people...very hard times.

Downtown is dead with few of the small shops open any more (though thankfully the Squeeze Inn is still in business), we've had a few gang fights, a huge drug problem, a school that can't make the grade, and in most neighborhoods folks don't know their neighbors or are afraid of them. They're making a lot of cosmetic changes downtown that will hopefully make it look better and help attract businesses and new residents, but there's a long way to go to bring back the heart and soul that it used to have. Our governmental leaders have been poor at best, some outright corrupt, and the same sorts keep getting re-elected.

I wish that folks _would_ come to live in Sunbury. Folks who want a small-town life, folks who feel a responsibility for the place where they live and want to help to keep it a safe and happy place. There are many of us who do try, but it's very hard when so many others are just here for the low rents. It could be so much better.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I do look at the Daily Item once and a while and have some relatives in the area. I heard about the downturn and drug/gang problems.

I remember Zayre's, it was Grand Way I think before that? The Book Nook was a great place for magazines too went there often, back before the internet killed off most of these places. That 4th street strip mall was the place at one time, McCrory's was there with their lunch counter. And Montgomery Wards was a popular place to shop. I know the last time I was past that shopping center it was not the same. Ziggy use to arrange shopping carts at the Super Saver there late in the evenings.

Sunbury was once a big railroad city, with tracks going all over the place and 3 now defunct railroad companies once serving the city. Once all of that left, the city declined along with it. Most people that lived there worked at Holsum or Weis don't know if that's still the case but they need to not worry about the park restoration and get some jobs there.
There's not much left at the 4th St Plaza anymore. The Old Grandway Building is now occupied by the McCann School and an LPN school which just relocated to Lewisburg. Monkey Wards is now Beiter's Home Center. Sunbury Motors took over the old Super Saver building. The Donut Connection closed several years ago. There is still A Dollar Store and a small restaurant. Of course, Radio Shack is long gone.

Weis dropped the contract with Holsum to make their house brand of bread and rolls. I know several people who work at Holsum and lay-offs are a strong possibility. Weis gave the contract to Strohmann. Holsum also lost their contact with Sheetz.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle0f7gables View Post
I remember Ziggy. I also remember the lady with the lipstick . I had moved from Sunbury 27 years ago and the thing I miss the most is The Sunbury Sub shop and the squeeze inn.
The Sunbury Sub Shop is still there but the Squeeze-In just changed owners. From what I understand the former owner of the Squeeze-In had a gambling problem and owed a lot of back taxes so he had to sell. The guy who owned The Peppermint (formerly Johnny's Spaghetti Bar which burned down a year ago) bought it and it's doing great.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
...Weis dropped the contract with Holsum to make their house brand of bread and rolls. I know several people who work at Holsum and lay-offs are a strong possibility. Weis gave the contract to Strohmann. Holsum also lost their contact with Sheetz.
Somewhat off track, ... it looks like Holsum is still supplying Redners in store brands of bread.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Back when I went to PSU, I used to make several trips to the Susquehanna Valley. Lewisburg and Mifflinburg were two of my favorite towns in all of PA (mmm Bull Run Inn sweet potato fries with honey and mmm Purple Cow!). I was always told to avoid Sunbury unless I wanted to "get r**ed" as one of my friends put it...and I did, until my last trip over there before I moved out to Arizona. I finally went to Sunbury...now granted, I only stayed on Front St before crossing the bridge over to Shamokin Dam, but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was told. It DID look seedier than Lewisburg or Selinsgrove for sure, but it wasn't like it was Northwest Philadelphia/Germantown which I accidentally drove through one time. It just seemed that Sunbury was a fairly quiet, typical Central PA town that had more poverty than most others.... and we all know poverty = crime.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Somewhat off track, ... it looks like Holsum is still supplying Redners in store brands of bread.
Where did I mention Redner's?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM

130 posts, read 317,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
There's not much left at the 4th St Plaza anymore. The Old Grandway Building is now occupied by the McCann School and an LPN school which just relocated to Lewisburg. Monkey Wards is now Beiter's Home Center. Sunbury Motors took over the old Super Saver building. The Donut Connection closed several years ago. There is still A Dollar Store and a small restaurant. Of course, Radio Shack is long gone.

Weis dropped the contract with Holsum to make their house brand of bread and rolls. I know several people who work at Holsum and lay-offs are a strong possibility. Weis gave the contract to Strohmann. Holsum also lost their contact with Sheetz.

No no! This is horrible news. My father works at Holsum, he has worked there since I was a child. Holsum was literally our bread and butter. This is very sad news. I know that during the beginning of this year work there was very slow and he even had his hours reduced, he was getting worried. Then again, business for them is a bit slow at that time of year, but apparently it had been worse this year. He hasn't said anything to me lately though, so I hope all is well. Since I live in Texas now, I only get to talk to him by phone every so often.

The 4th Street Plaza really is a shadow of it's former self. That was one of the places to go for shopping. I remember the days when my family would go to Montgomery Wards during Christmas Time. I went there myself later on and bought my first video game with my own money. I used to go to McCorys ( I had forgotten that name!) for a milkshake and french fries. Now all you have is Beiters, which has a meager selection of items, Sunbury Motors consuming the entire area little by little for their huge dump of vehicles, and the dollar store (which was the only reason I went to the plaza anymore, it's a nice place.).

Coming from some of the things said in this thread, it seems people are scared of Sunbury way more then what reality would dictate.

One thing that always interested me about the town, it seems to have a high population of mentally ill/off people. They are harmless sorts and I realize this isn't a Sunbury-only thing, but then, why do they become such figures in the town? I don't quite know how I can word this paragraph without sounding insensitive, but it is an honest curiosity of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I do look at the Daily Item once and a while and have some relatives in the area. I heard about the downturn and drug/gang problems.

I remember Zayre's, it was Grand Way I think before that? The Book Nook was a great place for magazines too went there often, back before the internet killed off most of these places. That 4th street strip mall was the place at one time, McCrory's was there with their lunch counter. And Montgomery Wards was a popular place to shop. I know the last time I was past that shopping center it was not the same. Ziggy use to arrange shopping carts at the Super Saver there late in the evenings.

Sunbury was once a big railroad city, with tracks going all over the place and 3 now defunct railroad companies once serving the city. Once all of that left, the city declined along with it. Most people that lived there worked at Holsum or Weis don't know if that's still the case but they need to not worry about the park restoration and get some jobs there.
You bring back so many memories for me. I believe that Weis and Holsum still provide the majority of jobs for those who live in the city.

Sunbury does try to bring new job opportunities, but it's usually very risky/niche things like a skateboard shop or a Halloween costume shop or just a fast food joint which they only make one bathroom for both genders and make a fuss about it then close because the restaurant was too small and had more customers then they anticipated.

Last edited by Alyx_Vance; 03-27-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM

26 posts, read 81,108 times
Rent of $750? You are better looking in the Northumberland area, or on the island between Sunbury and Norry. I was born and raised there, but my work takes me all over the U.S. When I come home it depresses me to see what shape the town is in. It's a ghost town.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM

26 posts, read 81,108 times
I was home 2 weeks ago and saw Ziggy walking on the corner of 4th & Regan Street. It's a shame Schraders corner store is gone, now there was the place for a cheeseburger and a coke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania