Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 34,219 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm going to be moving to Erie, PA very shortly, and would like to get any current information I can about Erie.

I read some older threads, but would like newer information if possible.

Would like to know current information about:

1. Best areas to live in Erie (safe and convenient), and areas to avoid moving to there.

2. Information about each quadrant of Erie (Northwest Erie, Northeast Erie, Southwest Erie, Southeast Erie).

3. Information about Millcreek, PA near Erie. (Are there any Catholic Churches in Millcreek, PA?)

4. Information about public transportation in Erie and Millcreek.

5. Anything else you can tell me about moving to or living in Erie, or in the surrounding areas that you feel might be helpful to a newcomer there.

Thanks a lot for any information you can provide to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
1. Best areas to live in Erie (safe and convenient), and areas to avoid moving to there. Convenient to what, first of all? Do you want to live close to work? Are school districts a factor? Do you prefer rural, suburban, or urban living?

That being said, I'd avoid much of the central and lower parts of the city itself. And according to my mom, Lawrence Park's taxes are through the roof.

2. Information about each quadrant of Erie (Northwest Erie, Northeast Erie, Southwest Erie, Southeast Erie). They each have their good points and bad points; there are beautiful neighborhoods in each part of the city. I know that's not helpful, but ... It's not easy to pigeonhole any one quadrant of the city. Far northeast, bordering Lawrence Park along the lake, is nicer now that Hammermill has shut down (oy, the smell ...), but who knows what's going to go in that spot?

3. Information about Millcreek, PA near Erie. (Are there any Catholic Churches in Millcreek, PA?) LOL! The old joke in Erie is that there's a bar, a gas station, and a Catholic church at every intersection. The fourth corner is up for grabs. There are plenty of Catholic churches everywhere. Except in Wesleyville, where rumor has it the town founders (if the name Wesleyville tips you off any) refused to allow a Catholic parish to form there. But there's one right across the town boundary, in Erie.

4. Information about public transportation in Erie and Millcreek. There's only bus service, and a downtown trolley. You used to be able to take the bus downtown, and take a boat ride across the bay to the peninsula.

5. Anything else you can tell me about moving to or living in Erie, or in the surrounding areas that you feel might be helpful to a newcomer there. Erie is very much a shot-and-a-beer, working class city. Summertime social events revolve around church festivals, high school reunions, and picnics at Presque Isle. The economy has been floundering for years, and no one quite seems to know what to do about it (HINT TO CITY BIGWIGS: Tourism! Duh!). There is a lot to do there, if you look hard enough. The colleges (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Behrend) offer a wide range of cultural events, but they're not well-publicized. Community theater is popular, and often is cutting-edge. State Street has a thriving night life. Lake Erie is an incredible resource for recreation and beauty (and snow). The countryside is worth exploring, especially if you enjoy farm markets, wineries, etc. Oh ... and the Erie Brewing Co. makes some fine beer!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 34,219 times
Default Thanks Ohiogirl81!

Thanks a lot for the information.

Yeah, I got the Wesley reference (I think) - is Wesleyville a Methodistic kind of town?

By convenient, I was thinking about being pretty close (like walking distance preferably) to a Catholic Church, large grocery/supermarket, drug store, other shopping, public transportation, etc., and having easy access to the main cultural attractions there.

I'm not looking for a rural setting, or an urban setting (like NYC or something), but just a nice, safe neighborhood with small, modest but attractive single homes.

When you talk about the smell -- can you amplify that a bit? Did it stink around that factory or whatever you were referring to? Are there other "smelly" areas in Erie anywhere?

Also, can you tell me anything about Corry, Millcreek, or other smaller towns around Erie?

Thanks again Ohiogirl81. I really do appreciate your response.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Oh, about that smell thing I mentioned -- it's nothing now, because Hammermill (a paper mill) has been closed for several years. The smell used to be able to curl your hair some days! It's a huge industrial property on the east side of town, on the lake. Who knows what wacko scheme the city will cook up to redevelop the property. Otherwise, that northeast section of Erie is pretty nice -- it was developed in the 1920s or thereabouts, beautiful old homes and most well kept. It's on the bus line, about 3 miles from downtown, within walking distance of Mt Calvary Church.

Hey, somedays the lake itself can smell pretty nasty! But it's not a big deal. So many of the soot-belching factories have closed down.

Another neighborhood that I've always found attractive is in the southeast section, near Mercyhurst College. Really, though, there are plenty of pockets of attractive neighborhoods throughout the city. Lots of small, affordable homes. A lot of the near east side isn't very safe or attractive; same with the near west side with the exception of the immediate downtown area. I've heard some good things, though, about neighborhoods that previously had been considered "gone way downhill." I hate to prejudice you one way or the other. But you cannot swing a gold chalice in much of Erie County without hitting a Catholic church ... trust me on this! And there are some amazingly beautiful churches in Erie. That goes for Millcreek, too.

I don't know a thing about Corry -- I've never been there! It always seemed so far away ... Millcreek is a big rambling township that wraps around the city, and has everything from apartments to small homes to mansions, suburban and rural. North East, about 15 miles from downtown on the Pa./NY border, is a traditional small town, with the smalltown storefronts, town square, etc. Girard, too, is an attractive, traditional small town, with lots of treelined streets, town square, etc. I grew up in Lawrence Park, on the east side about 4 miles from downtown; it too is very small-town. It's on a busline, has a small but busy business district (the Park Dinor is for sale, if anyone's interested ...), and is within walking distance of many, many stores if you don't mind walking over a railroad bridge.

Hope this helps ... if you have any more questions, just holler!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 21,079 times
Well, oddly enough, I was randomly Googling information too see what was going on in my hometown when I came across your post. I registered on this forum just to respond! See how nice people from Erie are to newbies?

I was born and raised in Erie (18 years). Loved every minute of it. The city and surrounding areas are steeped in tradition. I live in KY now and miss Erie every day. Part of it is the fact that I miss my family, but part of it is the way the poplar leaves shimmer as they turn storm side, and the way the sun sets on the bay in the summer, and the sound of the big bands on the Fourth of July. The winters are cold and snowy, but you get used to it, and I would bet that you will come to appreciate them in their own right. Honestly, summers in Erie are amazing. Sure, we get more rain than most cities, but when it's not raining, it's like a little slice of heaven on earth.

Erie is definitely a working class town with industry at its roots. It needs to shift towards the service sectors if it wants to thrive. Unfortunately, it loses many sharp young people because there are not as many white collar jobs for new college grads to hone their skills.

By and large, the people are very friendly and open. The food is fantastic! I grew up on the westside of town and had four delis within a mile of my house. Personally, I prefer the westside of town, but I am biased. Millcreek is really just a continuation of the city, and it more or less surrounds the whole thing. My favorite section in the whole city is Southshore Drive and all along the lake. Absolutely beautiful homes and views. The frontier park area is nice, as well as Glenwood. The homes around Greengarden are more modest, but the neighborhood is great. No matter what, live within five miles of Presque Isle...you will spend a lot of time there if you like the outdoors even remotely.

If you are looking for some Catholics, Erie is more or less the Western Hemisphere's version of Rome. St. Peter's Cathedral is beautiful, and there are tons of churches and private Catholic schools (all levels) in the area. Additionally, there are plenty of ethnic celebrations and clubs. Erie was and is a melting pot of diversity, and that diversity is what makes the city so great. Whether you are at an Italian festival, the Greek festival, concerts on the bayfront, Erie Days, etc., you will always feel like you are home. It is a difficult thing for me to explain, but I hope that one day, I can raise my family in Erie too.

What else...hmmm...oh, plenty of wineries along the lake, breweries too. You are close to CLE, PIT, and BUF. Niagra Falls is close as is the Alleghany National Forest.

My vote, move to Erie! The saying used to be that it is Eriesistible, and I for one, totally agree.

Best of luck,
NicB.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 16,947 times
Default thinking maybe about moving to Erie

I stumbled across this board and hoped it'd be helpful. There is a chance my wife and I would be moving back to Erie. I'm from North East and she is from Erie, problem is...we havent' lived there in 10 years...and having our parents close in Erie kinda scares us...haha. We currently live in Pittsburgh and even though it's not the melting pot of the East, we have a perception that Pittsburgh is thousands of times more diverse than Erie. So with that said, here is my question(s)

What is the local restaurant scene like? We hate commerical/chain restaurants and love little holes in the wall that are mexican, chinese, thai and indiana food among others...Erie just reminds of mini-malls.

What about locals grocers...in Pittsburgh, there is the Strip district that has little Asian markets, Mexican markets, Greek, Italian, etc. Plus they have awesome freah fish markets (Wholey's) etc etc. How is Erie looking as far as those areas go? Plus organic markets like Whole Food's and Trader Joes...do they have anything like that?

Yes, it's all about food, but we love food!!!
Any other "local" tidbits are great...help sell Erie to us again.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Shoot, mirthywvu, back when I was in high school in the 70s, "ethnic" food meant Italian. Period. Sure, there was Stan's Dinette (RIP) on East 12th Street, one Chinese restaurant on West 12th Street out by Peninsula Drive ... oh, and the Dairy A (RIP) on Peach Street sold tacos. But that was it.

You're right that the chains are everywhere, and a lot of people actually prefer them so that they're supplanting the old family restaurants and establishments that Erie has been so famous for. Some of the old tried-and-true places are fading. Chuck and Ginny's is for sale, so is the Park Dinor. I've driven by family-owned Mexican and Indian restaurants, but haven't tried any of them (I've always got Mom in tow! LOL). I think Erie's come a little bit further in the past 10 years or so; yet, I always hear a big buzz from friends and family when a new chain restaurant opens.

There isn't a Whole Foods or Wild Oats in town (yet), but there is a local cooperative called Whole Foods Cooperative, which IMO is a ton better than the corporate markets. Wegman's also has a lot of natural/organic foods. I've seen fish markets, Mexican markets, but they're far flung and not concentrated like in the Strip District.

Quote:
and having our parents close in Erie kinda scares us...haha
I hear ya on that one! I used to live in Cleveland, and it was the perfect distance away -- I could go home for Sunday dinner, or stay away for weeks at a time without guilt. But now I'm too far away (Philadelphia), especially since Mom is getting up there. *sigh*

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 46,675 times
I've lived in Erie my whole life so I hope I can be of some help!

Would like to know current information about:

1. Best areas to live in Erie (safe and convenient), and areas to avoid moving to there.

I've lived in the West side of Erie my whole life. I love being on the lower west side, right along the west 6th street access to the bus, bike trail, etc. My personal preference is NorthWest Erie, nothing between 12th & 23rd Streets as that's the slightly "rougher" areas. You will never experience true "ghetto" though, believe me. LOL Upper South West and Upper South East Erie is also nice.

Bus lines run all over Erie. The main routes ALL hit STATE street, which is technically center Erie. Buses are $1.10 per trip, 10 cents for a transfer to another route to take you where you want. Taxi cab service is available upon calling, fairly quick, slightly expensive depending on what you want to go for and how far. Buses run 7 days a week and I believe the last bus leaves it's route to go on the final run around 10pm every day but Sunday, when I think they stop around 8pm.

2. Information about each quadrant of Erie (Northwest Erie, Northeast Erie, Southwest Erie, Southeast Erie).

Call the Erie Police and ask them about the number of calls and types of calls for any area you're looking at. Every section has it's good and bad parts.

3. Information about Millcreek, PA near Erie. (Are there any Catholic Churches in Millcreek, PA?)

Millcreek is basically an extension of Erie and you can't really tell much difference other than the fire departments are volunteer and there is only one high school for the entire region. There are good and bad about living in either but I have to confess that I prefer Erie to Millcreek. Millcreek taxes are more, amenities are less and they depend upon Erie for a lot. As for churches, there's no lacking of any denomination in any part of Erie, including Millcreek so don't worry about that.

4. Information about public transportation in Erie and Millcreek.
Millcreek has no public transportation system but the Erie PT goes into Millcreek to provide transportation. The buses run into Millcreek as do Taxi service.

5. Anything else you can tell me about moving to or living in Erie, or in the surrounding areas that you feel might be helpful to a newcomer there.

Really, Erie is a great town. It's large enough to be "lost" and not know everyone but small enough to feel safe. In most neighborhoods you can truly leave your doors unlocked and not even fear, I don't' exaggerate. The Police and Fire forces are exemplary. While right now we're having financial difficulties because of our former mayor, the new mayor really does seem to have been doing well in keeping us afloat financially.

There are tons of things to do in Erie from professional sports to every kind of entertainment you can imagine. We have a pro hockey team (OHL - Junior Hockey Canadian League), pro baseball (AA Ball team affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, Erie Seawolves), pro indoor football league (Erie Freeze), women's football league (not a big fan myself but I hear it's interesting), numerous college teams that boast NCAA standings (Mercyhurst, Gannon, Edinboro - 30 minutes south, Penn State - Behrend Campus) to name a few. We have a wonderful Playhouse that boasts numerous plays, musicals and youth theater. A professional orchestra, The Erie Philharmonic and their Junior Phil. We have access to one of the most beautiful lakes around, Lake Erie. We have a gorgeous beach area, Presque Isle, that is free to all.

Throughout the summer we have tons of "In The Park" events that bring in even some very big name bands and entertainment. We have a new skate park that is supposed to be built shortly. We have ice skating available in the winter in numerous outdoor rinks (if it gets cold enough). We have fishing on Lake Erie, boating on Lake Erie, scuba diving and ship wrecks that can be checked up when diving. A new beautiful library, right on the bayfront shares its grounds with the Flagship Niagara, one of the few Tall Ships around, and a replica of the ship that served in the Battle of Lake Erie.

If you're a history buff you cannot find enough time to learn about the area.

We have some great old bars, many old Irish bars, tons of great night life in the downtown area which include outdoor parties throughout the summer that is free to the public. Bands playing, out door fairs and special events. A Rib Fest, Chili Cookoff, Celebrate Erie Days, Erie Arts Festival, Eight Great Tuesdays (a musical event that takes place at the Pepsi amphitheater right on the bayfront) that takes place most of the summer. A jazz festival that takes place in a local "tree" park called Frontier that lasts for 2 days and boasts some of the best Jazz and Blues you will EVER hear.

Have I told you enough? LOL
Can you tell I love this place?
I do.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 46,675 times
Default You want great places to eat? Authentic food?!

Ohio girl.... you gotta try the one Middle East restaurant on West Lake Road (aka Old Route 5, aka West 6th or 8th as they both come together). It is on the north (going towards the airport it will be on the right). DO NOT hit the Hibachi restaurant on West 12th... they've been hit with violations that include CATS! I'm not lying! LOL You want authentic, awesome Italian? Go to Hectors on West 18th and Liberty! Right on the corner, this little bar is not only reasonable in price but great food to top it off. Need good Irish food? Hit STATE STREET, west 5th, Molly Brannigans. You will LOVE their shepherds pie! More authentic Irish.... hit Oakwood Cafe on West 38th & Greengarden Ave. for the worlds, not the city's, best Reuben around!
You want authentic Polish? If you get the chance to go to Lawrence Park (near GE on the East side) and visit the one Polish Cafe there. They have odd hours, mostly good for lunch, but they boast the most wonderful pierogies around. It's called Dombrowskis. There are a TON of great ethnic restaurants, including some that have been around since I was a kid (*cough* a few years now) LOL. You're right though to say that Italian is the biggie in Erie. To be honest Chuck N Ginnies hasn't been the same since the parents passed on. The sisters that run that place really are two lazy women. They aren't clean at all and their food isn't even close to what it once was. They at one time even went to FROZEN meatballs!!!! I won't bother with that place at all and Hector's on 18th & Cherry blows them away.

Every Tuesday on the Bayfront Hightway there is a concert too. Check that out. AND on Presque Isle we have a ton of things going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Shoot, mirthywvu, back when I was in high school in the 70s, "ethnic" food meant Italian. Period. Sure, there was Stan's Dinette (RIP) on East 12th Street, one Chinese restaurant on West 12th Street out by Peninsula Drive ... oh, and the Dairy A (RIP) on Peach Street sold tacos. But that was it.

You're right that the chains are everywhere, and a lot of people actually prefer them so that they're supplanting the old family restaurants and establishments that Erie has been so famous for. Some of the old tried-and-true places are fading. Chuck and Ginny's is for sale, so is the Park Dinor. I've driven by family-owned Mexican and Indian restaurants, but haven't tried any of them (I've always got Mom in tow! LOL). I think Erie's come a little bit further in the past 10 years or so; yet, I always hear a big buzz from friends and family when a new chain restaurant opens.

There isn't a Whole Foods or Wild Oats in town (yet), but there is a local cooperative called Whole Foods Cooperative, which IMO is a ton better than the corporate markets. Wegman's also has a lot of natural/organic foods. I've seen fish markets, Mexican markets, but they're far flung and not concentrated like in the Strip District.

I hear ya on that one! I used to live in Cleveland, and it was the perfect distance away -- I could go home for Sunday dinner, or stay away for weeks at a time without guilt. But now I'm too far away (Philadelphia), especially since Mom is getting up there. *sigh*

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Hockeygal4ever, do you work for the chamber of commerce? But you're right, Erie is a good town. I left to go to school and didn't want to come back (I wanted to be a newspaper reporter, but would rather die than work for the Meads, so I found work elsewhere), but I'd go back now if the opportunity presented itself. I'd even work for the chamber of commerce.

I just got back from a 4-day weekend in town, visited the arts festival and the zoo, took Mom to Serafini's for dinner.

Quote:
You want authentic Polish? If you get the chance to go to Lawrence Park (near GE on the East side) and visit the one Polish Cafe there.
I went to high school with the owner! I grew up in Lawrence Park, as well, so am very familiar there. The food is excellent, you're right. I'd forgotten all about it, even though I drive by there two dozen times or so every time I'm in town. Maybe it's because I rarely drive by when he's open ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania