Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 09:05 PM

451 posts, read 457,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizini View Post
From YOUR article. It appears to exclude whites:

"Who is this for? Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) (i.e. groups with the greatest wealth disparities per the Oakland Equity Index) with low incomes and at least 1 child under 18, regardless of documentation status. The term “family” is defined broadly to recognize that families come in all shapes and sizes."
You seem to have a very narrow focus. I said that it excluded whites. How about the rest of the article? It has nothing to do with "law or policy" which you seem so intent on. Nothing to do with government or taxpayers. It's a continuing study funded by a private foundation. I might add that it was done in another Ca city before with some success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 09:18 PM

33 posts, read 26,358 times
This is also from the article. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mayors who are in partnership with such an initiative is ok? Can you imagine if Trump was in partnership with an initiative that was for poor whites only. I have a feeling you might not defend that. Why would a mayor or any politician be in partnership with something that excludes a specific race? Like you said, racism runs deep.

"In partnership with Family Independent Initiative and Mayors for a Guaranteed Income, Oakland Resilient Families will be among the nation’s largest efforts to determine the effectiveness of monthly unconditional payments to residents to help overcome economic instability."

Last edited by Vizini; 03-22-2022 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-23-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
This is also from the article. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mayors who are in partnership with such an initiative is ok? Can you imagine if Trump was in partnership with an initiative that was for poor whites only. I have a feeling you might not defend that. Why would a mayor or any politician be in partnership with something that excludes a specific race? Like you said, racism runs deep.

"In partnership with Family Independent Initiative and Mayors for a Guaranteed Income, Oakland Resilient Families will be among the nation’s largest efforts to determine the effectiveness of monthly unconditional payments to residents to help overcome economic instability."
Again, this is a private study. If a mayor supports a position that is popular with their constituents they're serving said constituency. No different than some of the more outspoken members of congress turning up at white supremacy rallies, or calling for tougher voting fraud laws where no fraud exists. Then there was the Muslim ban, and someone calling Mexicans criminals and rapists, which caused an appreciable rise in hate crimes. Any outrage there? Getting back to the original topic of CRT, In a perfect world it wouldn't exist. I wish kids didn't have to know that inequality ever existed.

Last edited by HarryWhom; 03-23-2022 at 05:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 08:39 AM

Yeah, a private study that the mayor endorses and partners in that excludes whites. So in the 1950's if a mayor endorsed and partnered in an initiative/private study with the KKK that excluded blacks, that would be ok because they were serving their constituency. But wait, I thought that was exactly the kind of systemic oppression that Pincho-toot was preaching about.

Your examples of a "Muslim ban" and calling Mexicans names is a non sequitur. If you want to start a separate thread on these topics I'll be happy to engage because it would be easy to refute.

Last edited by Vizini; 03-23-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, a private study that the mayor endorses and partners in that excludes whites. So in the 1950's if a mayor endorsed and partnered in an initiative/private study with the KKK that excluded blacks, that would be ok because they were serving their constituency. But wait, I thought that was exactly the kind of systemic oppression that Pincho-toot was preaching about.

Your examples of a "Muslim ban" and calling Mexicans names is a non sequitur. If you want to start a separate thread on these topics I'll be happy to engage because it would be easy to refute.
Do you think things like that didn't happen in the fifties? How old are you? As for your claim of non sequiter, you were the one who introduced Trump into the conversation...

Old 03-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Yes, I believe they did happen in the 50's and that would be systemic racism. You seemed to be defending the Oakland mayor because she was "serving her constituents". The scenario I posed from the 50's and the one with the Oakland mayor are identical examples of systemic racism in my opinion.

I brought Trump into the conversation in the context of CRT/Systemic racism.

Last edited by Vizini; 03-23-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, I believe they did happen in the 50's and that would be systemic racism. You seemed to be defending the Oakland mayor because she was "serving her constituents". My example was to show clearly that this would be systemic racism in the 50's as it is today under the Oakland mayor. The two examples are identical examples of systemic racism in my opinion.

I brought Trump into the conversation in the context of CRT/Systemic racism.
I brought Trump into the conversation in the context of systemic racism. I never defended the mayor per se but rather qualified the example concerning the state of partisan politics today. If you think a private study involving one city is identical to the millions affected by segregation and discrimination in employment, healthcare, homeownership, and the justice system then we have nothing further to discuss.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:42 AM

All I'm trying to get from you is consistency. The scenario from the 50's is exactly the same scenario as in Oakland. If the example from the 50's is systemic racism, then the example of the Oakland mayor is systemic racism also. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-23-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
All I'm trying to get from you is consistency. The scenario from the 50's is exactly the same scenario as in Oakland. If the example from the 50's is systemic racism, then the example of the Oakland mayor is systemic racism also. Wouldn't you agree?
Absolutely not. A private study vs: state laws. See the difference?

Old 03-23-2022, 10:59 AM

The scenario I gave didn't have to do with state laws. It had to do with a 1950's mayor who was doing exactly the same thing as the Mayor of Oakland did. Partnering up with a racist group to exclude one particular race. I thought this was self-evident when I posed the scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola