Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's not just for dating, it's for if I received a call and someone-"hey we are going to out dinner" or "we are going to NYC" I don't have to check my finances I can just go
Responsibility means saying NO at times like these, not charging up expenses you can't afford. And, no...if you don't have the cash to pay for it right then, you can't afford it.

And if your friends give you sh*t and encourage irresponsible financial behavior, get new friends. These people don't care about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,947,691 times
Quote:
Are you sure you not a gold digger?
Seriously dude? Are you that dense?

No, considering I have pretty much consistently made, up until the past two years, about double what my husband makes (and at this point it's equal due to owning a business together) I think if anything I'm in opposite category.

The irony of your comment is that, to be honest, I'd be much more impressed with a guy asking if we could split because of "things being tight" for him rather than paying for my meal that he can't afford.

The ONLY point I was trying to make was that going out to dinner/dating/etc isn't in any sort of "emergency" category. You can either afford it or you can't. You shouldn't use money you don't have (credit) to fund it. It seems like this concept is over your head or something, however...so I'm not going to fight this any longer.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,947,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
No she is smart. Suze Orman recomends asking a guy what his FICO is before getting serious with anyone. And if a guy doesn't want to share his finances then dump him. Men should also do the same screening. The goal of dating is to find a mate for life. And most people want a stable and secure life not one of constantly worrying about money. Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack of it makes for a miserable life.
Thanks.

I'm fortunate to have found my life partner early on and I haven't done much dating, but if I had to--I'd be upfront about my ideas and thoughts on finances and if the guy wasn't on the same page...it probably wouldn't go much further than casual dating.

No, this wouldn't be a first date discussion, but it would come up sooner than later. This doesn't mean he has to have money or wealth, it's the concepts and goals that we would have to share.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 08-22-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,162,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Responsibility means saying NO at times like these, not charging up expenses you can't afford. And, no...if you don't have the cash to pay for it right then, you can't afford it.

And if your friends give you sh*t and encourage irresponsible financial behavior, get new friends. These people don't care about you.

So what should I use the CC for??

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Seriously dude? Are you that dense?

No, considering I have pretty much consistently made, up until the past two years, about double what my husband makes (and at this point it's equal due to owning a business together) I think if anything I'm in opposite category.

The irony of your comment is that, to be honest, I'd be much more impressed with a guy asking if we could split because of "things being tight" for him rather than paying for my meal that he can't afford.

The ONLY point I was trying to make was that going out to dinner/dating/etc isn't in any sort of "emergency" category. You can either afford it or you can't. You shouldn't use money you don't have (credit) to fund it. It seems like this concept is over your head or something, however...so I'm not going to fight this any longer.

So if I don't have the money to go out on a date at a certain time of the month what should I do?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,894 times
Quote:
So if I don't have the money to go out on a date at a certain time of the month what should I do?
Don't go or find a free event.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Bad idea.

Study after study shows people always spend more with a credit card than paying cash.

Keep one or two credit cards with high limits only for true emergencies.

Pay cash for everything else.
Good luck getting anyone to believe that...LOL....

Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Don't go or find a free event.
But if she looks good I have to go because I'm in comptition with other men. That's the point I'm making.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,449 times
Quote:
Outside of am extreme emergency, I decided to only use my credit card for

Going on Dates
Trips
Going out to Dinner with Friends/Family

So basically I want the card to be for Entertainment purposes only. Good Idea?
The Ladies are more impressed if you pull out a wad of hundred dollar bills to pay with...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,894 times
Quote:
But if she looks good I have to go because I'm in comptition with other men. That's the point I'm making.
Well then save up ahead of time for dating.

Anyway the whole point about this thread is that you wanted to make sure you didn't get in trouble with cc again. We have given you solutions and reasons but you do not want to hear them. So go ahead and run up your cc again and pay money to the banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance