Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,863,598 times

Advertisements

Considering your batting average - using a CC on first dates is the least of your worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,961,867 times
Perhaps you should take a break from dating. Sometimes it is a great thing to do. Besides, I don't know if involving yourself with girls that are so materialistic that they would expect expensive dates, you may be getting back into trouble. Although so many guys out there feel that most girls would only be interested in someone that carries American Express, takes us out to expensive restaurants, etc. I think you may be pleasantly surprised that we are more impressed with financially responsible men as a whole and not ones that try to be someone they are not. Just my two cents. Good Luck to you but I think this is turning into a very immature discussion and perhaps you should take a break to grow up a bit. We all go through that phase and a break is good so we can come back to reality.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
No she is smart. Suze Orman recomends asking a guy what his FICO is before getting serious with anyone. And if a guy doesn't want to share his finances then dump him. Men should also do the same screening. The goal of dating is to find a mate for life. And most people want a stable and secure life not one of constantly worrying about money. Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack of it makes for a miserable life.
I used to love Suze so much! She taught me a lot and kept me thinking of my fianaces. My wife used to call her the "other woman" because I wouldn't miss any of her shows, lol. But about four or five years ago, it's like she changed. It all happened when she "came out" and now she is all about woman power and such. It is like she is only targeting a niche (women) now. I will say, thanks, Suze, I have improved my credit through the knowledge I gained from you that my parents couldn't and never taught me. But if a woman asked me on the first date or anywhere close to that, that would be a turn off. I'm more interested in getting to know you first, if I want to get serious all that will come, but hell, I got to get to know you personality wise first.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I used to love Suze so much! She taught me a lot and kept me thinking of my fianaces. My wife used to call her the "other woman" because I wouldn't miss any of her shows, lol. But about four or five years ago, it's like she changed. It all happened when she "came out" and now she is all about woman power and such. It is like she is only targeting a niche (women) now. I will say, thanks, Suze, I have improved my credit through the knowledge I gained from you that my parents couldn't and never taught me. But if a woman asked me on the first date or anywhere close to that, that would be a turn off. I'm more interested in getting to know you first, if I want to get serious all that will come, but hell, I got to get to know you personality wise first.
Yeah she targets women a lot but she has good points. Sometimes women surrender all their finances to a man and then when the house is being foreclosed they blame him. When they should have been aware of all the finances from day one. And there are men that think they don't have to share financial information with their wives.
I do not think she says to ask about FICO on first date. Just to make sure people have the money talk before joining finances.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah she targets women a lot but she has good points. Sometimes women surrender all their finances to a man and then when the house is being foreclosed they blame him. When they should have been aware of all the finances from day one. And there are men that think they don't have to share financial information with their wives.
I do not think she says to ask about FICO on first date. Just to make sure people have the money talk before joining finances.
Yeah, I definitly agree with talking about finaces first. Although I didn't with my wife. Although we were both broke, in college, working jobs where we got paid in tips and had parents that were not good at managing money. So really we didn't have anything to talk about.

But now we are at a point where I (the man) has taking over everything. I run our credit every year and do all the fixing and planning. Pay the bills and such. Needless to say, my wife has one of the "Woman Finacial Planning" books from Suze. I haven't opened it myself as really I don't know what is different for woman as for man when it comes from money. Maybe, making sure the man doesn't do it all.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,894 times
Quote:
Yeah, I definitly agree with talking about finaces first. Although I didn't with my wife. Although we were both broke, in college, working jobs where we got paid in tips and had parents that were not good at managing money. So really we didn't have anything to talk about.
So you did talk because you both knew how you didn't want to end up. I am sure you both knew how much money each made. Some men do knot even want their wives to know how much they make.

Quote:
But now we are at a point where I (the man) has taking over everything. I run our credit every year and do all the fixing and planning. Pay the bills and such. Needless to say, my wife has one of the "Woman Finacial Planning" books from Suze. I haven't opened it myself as really I don't know what is different for woman as for man when it comes from money. Maybe, making sure the man doesn't do it all.
Doing the day to day money management can be done by one person as long as the other one is informed. I handle the bills but if my dh wants to see the accounts all he has to do is login to any of our bank accounts or look at quicken on my laptop. He says he rather have his teeth pull that deal with our accounting. And he has an MBA so go figure.
I do not know about Suze's book because I am too cheap to buy anyone's book. I do like Suze Orman specially her "can I afford it" segment. I also like Clark Howard because of his penny pinching ways. But it doesn't mean I follow either one of them blindly.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,163,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Outside of am extreme emergency, I decided to only use my credit card for

Going on Dates
Trips
Going out to Dinner with Friends/Family

So basically I want the card to be for Entertainment purposes only. Good Idea?
there is only one rule with a credit card.

Pay the bill on time.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 AM

917 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Quote:
But if she looks good I have to go because I'm in comptition with other men. That's the point I'm making.
She'll dump you shortly anyway when she realizes you can't actually afford to take her out. If you have a period of the month where things are tight, that means you don't have enough savings- you should have money left over from the better part of the month before and THAT is the money you should be using for your date this month. If you can't afford things at certain times of the month because you are waiting for your next paycheck, then YOU ARE IN A BAD PLACE FINANCIALLY! The point everyone is making is that if at ANY point of the month you NEED credit to keep you going, you are not doing well financially.

My fiance uses a credit card, but he also has enough money in the bank and invested (outside his retirement funds) to live for several years without working. He uses his credit card because he gets cash back for every X amount he spends. He has the cash to back it up, but prefers to use the credit card. When you do have cash in the bank to pay the card the minute you get home, then you are in a place to use a credit card.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Quote:
So what should I use the CC for??
Convenience so that your money can sit in the bank and earn interest. Not to front yourself money for artarded things like 'dates' with women you clearly can't afford.

Budget date money ahead of time every month if it's so important that you drop everything and go out somewhere expensive.

I would NEVER be attracted to a man who had to take a loan out to buy me dinner. Ridiculous.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,861,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Considering your batting average - using a CC on first dates is the least of your worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Perhaps you should take a break from dating. Sometimes it is a great thing to do.
What a hilarious thread to start off the week with! Grasshopper, Grasshopper, three dates in two years and THIS is what you've created a thread about? My oh my and double sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance