Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,861,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Have not beem late since my schedule changed to 10am
yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,483,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Outside of am extreme emergency, I decided to only use my credit card for

Going on Dates
Trips
Going out to Dinner with Friends/Family

So basically I want the card to be for Entertainment purposes only. Good Idea?
Not really. Actually, that sounds like a horrible idea, because it's way too open-ended. Using the card for "entertainment purposes" is what gets many people in trouble in the first place. A few more new clothes, another upgrade to a better flat-screen TV, a few limo rides, some fancy trips - all for "entertainment purposes" - and where does it end? Take a wild guess.

Here are some simple rules for you:

1. Do not charge a higher balance in any given month than you can comfortably pay off in that same month with your disposable income (after rent/mortage, retirement, and savings).
2. Never carry a balance.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times
In my dating years I was always turned off by a guy with a wad of 100$ in his pocket. Looked kinda sleezy and low class to me. Like he expected me to be the kind of woman who was impressed with a large amount of cash and not much between his ears.

In our family I handle all the finances. Just the opposite of how I was raised. I wish I could get my husband more involved but his eyes kinda glaze over when I start talking money. I do worry how he would handle it all if I die before him.

When my father died at 58 my mother was woefully unaware of their finances and decisions she needed to make. She had never even balanced a check book. Consequently she always kept at least $5,000 in her checking account. I tried to explain to her how inefficient that was but she could afford it and that is how she kept comfortable.

Credit cards are not a necessity of life. Some people may think so but to somebody who cannot control or budget their money, and OP sounds like this, a cc is a dangerous thing to have.

And money is different to a woman than it is to a man. With wages still not equal and a woman's earnings cut drastically if she decides to be stay at home mom, a woman needs to be very informed and involved with all aspects of a family's finances. Of course that involvement goes both ways for the man. But a woman usually has way more to lose if finances get out of control and she ends up as primary caretaker for her kids. It happens every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance