Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they are charging me $5/month for the ability to use my debit card. why would i pay that? that's $60 every year for the privilege of accessing my money, that I park in their bank, that they loan out to charge 5% interest on, or if it's a credit card, 19% interest. at what point is enough enough? My 50 cent ATM fees are now pretty much standard at $3. did it get more expensive to process an ATM transaction in 2011 than in 1995? no...this is a bank looking for more ways to make money.

if Verizon started charging you $5/month to pay your bill, would you just say "ok, it's only $5"?
I think people got a pretty good deal with BAC thus far.

I've used banks all over the world and every bank issues credit card and debit card monthly charges. Actually, BAC is joining the fray so late and only becoz they're in hot water. They are not making any money, they are a few notches away from collapsing, given their price movement and the alarming levels of their CDS spread.

Again, if they collapse, this economy will collapse instantly (which will be prevented by a bailout). So it's better the customers stick to BAC and collectively improve the economy.

But you can get a little selfish and issue a bank run, along with 1000s others, and in the long run, the system is so interconnected that it's only gonna act as a boomerang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I think people got a pretty good deal with BAC thus far.

I've used banks all over the world and every bank issues credit card and debit card monthly charges. Actually, BAC is joining the fray so late and only becoz they're in hot water. They are not making any money, they are a few notches away from collapsing, given their price movement and the alarming levels of their CDS spread.

Again, if they collapse, this economy will collapse instantly (which will be prevented by a bailout). So it's better the customers stick to BAC and collectively improve the economy.

But you can get a little selfish and issue a bank run, along with 1000s others, and in the long run, the system is so interconnected that it's only gonna act as a boomerang.
It's got nothing to do with a bank collapsing.

They are responding to a cap that was initiated by the Federal Reserve to prevent merchants from rising transaction fees. The banks responded by putting a fee on the customer.

Period. Nothing more or less.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
so then open an account at every bank in the U.S. then it will look like our economy is doing better.

I'll do business with a company that can manage it's financials in a better way that it doesn't need to charge it's customers to use their own money.
I bank with BAC and Chase and am pretty satisfied with the service. I find it hard to stomach that the banks have become public enemy, when it's the people who made poor judgement in buying houses they "cannot" afford, and started the financial meltdown.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's got nothing to do with a bank collapsing.

They are responding to a cap that was initiated by the Federal Reserve to prevent merchants from rising transaction fees. The banks responded by putting a fee on the customer.

Period. Nothing more or less.
Really?

Ok, let's see. A bank which has been posting consecutive losses in subsequent quarters.

Holds toxic mortgage assets.

Exposed to Greek debt, shouldering it with French banks.

CDS basis points recently touching as high as 400 in August if I recall correctly, higher than 2008.

And with new regulations it stands to lose 2 billion dollars in revenue, revenue it's supposed to use to sustain any form of possible growth, and importantly offset itself against the aforementioned toxic assets and short sellers.

If they continue to post losses for two more quarters, they will definitely collapse. This is everything about a bank churning up anything it can to push forward and survive.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Close your B of A account and open up an account elsewhere.

B of A plans to lay off 30,000 workers - instead of trimming costs to the customers they're raising prices on us.

B. of A. layoff largest by U.S. employer in 2011 - MarketWatch
Family has been with B of A since 1948... other banks around here seem to act the same... Wells Fargo, Chase, Citi and now US Bank.

Only a matter of time.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
they are charging me $5/month for the ability to use my debit card. why would i pay that? that's $60 every year for the privilege of accessing my money, that I park in their bank, that they loan out to charge 5% interest on, or if it's a credit card, 19% interest. at what point is enough enough? My 50 cent ATM fees are now pretty much standard at $3. did it get more expensive to process an ATM transaction in 2011 than in 1995? no...this is a bank looking for more ways to make money.

if Verizon started charging you $5/month to pay your bill, would you just say "ok, it's only $5"?
Hey, they paid me $2.71 in interest for all of last year

Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Really?

Ok, let's see. A bank which has been posting consecutive losses in subsequent quarters.

Holds toxic mortgage assets.

Exposed to Greek debt, shouldering it with French banks.

CDS basis points recently touching as high as 400 in August if I recall correctly, higher than 2008.

And with new regulations it stands to lose 2 billion dollars in revenue, revenue it's supposed to use to sustain any form of possible growth, and importantly offset itself against the aforementioned toxic assets and short sellers.

If they continue to post losses for two more quarters, they will definitely collapse. This is everything about a bank churning up anything it can to push forward and survive.
Is the reason why you are so comfortable taking the side of the bank because you work for one?

These new regulations have been churning around Congress and the Federal Reserve since 2007. Nothing new here.

Why don't you do some searching to see what these banks have been planning for the past 4 years (Pre-Greece, Pre-Mortgage Collapse, Pre-Bailout).

Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Is the reason why you are so comfortable taking the side of the bank because you work for one?
Exactly....I personally would love to see B of A go out of business. With me, it is personal. They screwed me pretty bad years ago.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Who cares, why use a debit card at all.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Who cares, why use a debit card at all.
Because a lot of people do not have credit cards. Wells Fargo (my bank) is going to start doing this too with a $3 fee. I am not going to use it other than for ATM withdrawals from now on, and use my credit card exclusively for POS transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance